Why keep Indy Speedway?

flynnibus

Premium Member
the ride is a joke compared to it's peers. Its like driving your car around the TTC parking lot in circles.

Autopia in DLR makes Indy Speedway feel like the dinosaur it is.

The original ride was more about the 'future' of interstates, freedom of movement, etc. The Indy speedway has no ties to that story at all in theme - and the Indy speedway has no ties to Disney nor the theme of tomorrowland. It's not even really themed at all except for at the station.

At least make it somewhat Disney and make it into Cars speedway. It doesn't fit TL - but neither does Indy Speedway either!

Give us something to look at - something to be excited over. Kid's electric ride-ons go faster then these old Indy cars.

Reduce capacity - to give more spacing between cars - let the cars actually accelerate... and put in distance sensors on the cars to prevent full speed collisions.. but still allow low speed bumping. Make the cars fun to drive - and give us some actual scenery and some terrain!

dsollie

I say keep it, as it brings some serious joy to the kids who ride it. It is not perfect - it smells and all that, but that is part of what makes it the ride that it is. Have you ever gone to the race track and not smelled a little bit of gas and fumes?

My only complaint with the attraction is that there is absolutely zero relevant merchandising for the kids after they ride this attraction. I would love to have bought my young son a t-shirt to remember the experience with, but as usual, there are no items specifically made for the attraction, just more Lightning McQueen t-shirts and caps that we can buy at any Target/Wal-Mart any day of the week.

stratman50th

No reason to get rid of it. The line is always full, the kids love it, and really, they are a big reason for the park in the first place.
Who cares what "land" it's in. It appears to fit right where it is.
I wouldn't mind some updating, different shells for the cars, track landscaping so that the adults could have something to look at, and lighting for nighttime. It is dark around that track at night. Headlights would be even cooler, let the kids think they're really doing something.

I say keep it, as it brings some serious joy to the kids who ride it. It is not perfect - it smells and all that, but that is part of what makes it the ride that it is. Have you ever gone to the race track and not smelled a little bit of gas and fumes?

My only complaint with the attraction is that there is absolutely zero relevant merchandising for the kids after they ride this attraction. I would love to have bought my young son a t-shirt to remember the experience with, but as usual, there are no items specifically made for the attraction, just more Lightning McQueen t-shirts and caps that we can buy at any Target/Wal-Mart any day of the week.
I completely agree with this. There's only that crappy little cart with a small handful of items to choose from. They could do a lot more in the souvenir department.

Mickey_777

Many if not most consider it an iconic and classic attraction. It still consistently draws a lot of riders too so...

Personally though, I'd like it replaced with Tron-mobiles/bikes...

stratman50th

Many if not most consider it an iconic and classic attraction. It still consistently draws a lot of riders too so...

Personally though, I'd like it replaced with Tron-mobiles/bikes...
That would be cool, but I don't ever see them replacing the cars with something that kids couldn't drive themselves. In fact, even some adults have trouble with motorized cycles.

blueboxdoctor

Original Poster
Well, thinking about it more and discussing it with other people, I've concluded that people want it to remain because of the nostalgia. However, it's only one generation we're really dealing with here in terms of nostalgia. I highly doubt it will stop people from coming to the park if it were gone. Personally, I'd be more devastated if a small world was closed, and I don't even like it that much; but to me it really is one of the most iconic parts of WDW as a whole. I do agree they should at least try to give it a theme. Really, Tomorrowland needs some work, starting with the Noodle Station (cause ya know, it's pretty much abandoned for the majority of the time).

Moving Forward

Ok, so I'm bracing myself for all the responses here, but really, why keep the Indy Speedway(raceway?)? It takes up a lot of land that could be used for other things. It is by far one of the most un-environmentally friendly attractions in the whole of Disney World. Plus, it really isn't that much fun compared to their other attractions. I know how a lot of people are major defenders of the old things in WDW, but all this old stuff is catching up to Disney. That's why they were forced to do Fantasyland and put more stuff in hollywood studios. The same will probably have to happen for EPCOT soon, and Animal Kingdom pretty much ran out of money when being made (refer to beastly kingdom). Disney needs to keep adding stuff, even if they need to sacrifice some older stuff (don't even get me started on what they need to do to Tomorrow Land). So what does everyone else think about this?

I completely agree. Sure kids love the cars, but you can find this attraction at different parks across the country. Also, I don't think Walt would like the Indy Speedway to be here today, WDW needs to Keep Moving Forward.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Well, thinking about it more and discussing it with other people, I've concluded that people want it to remain because of the nostalgia. However, it's only one generation we're really dealing with here in terms of nostalgia. I highly doubt it will stop people from coming to the park if it were gone. Personally, I'd be more devastated if a small world was closed, and I don't even like it that much; but to me it really is one of the most iconic parts of WDW as a whole. I do agree they should at least try to give it a theme. Really, Tomorrowland needs some work, starting with the Noodle Station (cause ya know, it's pretty much abandoned for the majority of the time).

So, the Small World nostalgia is appropriate, but the Speedway version is only for "one generation?"

Just as long as you weren't looking to start anything with this thread.....

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
You mean Rocket Rods...? :rolleyes:

How would I know? I've never even been to Disneyland. Can't you all leave the sarcasm out? How hard is it just to say "Do you mean Rocket Rods?" really, is that so hard?

Anyways, I thought Rocket Rods looked awesome on youtube, it would be awesome if (not driving) it went that fast on the four indy-speedway tracks! :)

BadWolf

Let's go Green

How bout this fellow mouseketeers, why can't Disney keep up with the times and convert the Indy Cars to be more environmentally friendly.

I had read that one lawnmower engine (no emission controls) emits as many hydrocarbons in 1 hour as a new corvette does in 20,000 miles. That being the case, Disney is in effect running around 80 lawnmower engines for a minimum of 12 hours a day.

DISNEY IS NOT BEING RESPONSIBLE TO THE FUTURE OF OUR ENVIRONMENT.

I am not advocating the removal of the Indy Cars, but perhaps switching to electric cars (with sound effects).

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
How would I know? I've never even been to Disneyland. Can't you all leave the sarcasm out? How hard is it just to say "Do you mean Rocket Rods?" really, is that so hard?

Anyways, I thought Rocket Rods looked awesome on youtube, it would be awesome if (not driving) it went that fast on the four indy-speedway tracks! :)

If you can't play nice with the big boys, then perhaps you should get out of the sandbox.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I think they should update it by making it a Cars theme- Racing for the Piston Cup

Well I'm not really sure if that fits with Fantasyland or Tomorrowland... but that would be a good idea for Frontierland! Is there any room for an expansion for a similar version to the one in Carsland at DLR?? :sohappy:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Well I'm not really sure if that fits with Fantasyland or Tomorrowland... but that would be a good idea for Frontierland! Is there any room for an expansion for a similar version to the one in Carsland at DLR?? :sohappy:

Because nothing says Frontierland like a car race......

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom