Why is October so busy?

slappy magoo

Lol don’t agree on the weather. We’ve been in November it was still warm & muggy. Good thing we’re from Houston so no biggie lol.
It's like the old saying "when you live a life of privilege, equality seems like oppression."
(I'm not implying you're privileged, or that you think you are, just referencing the idea of perspective and varying degrees)

When we went in December, we'd sometimes complain that it was still mighty warm, mighty humid...but then we'd remember our August trip where real-feel was routinely over 100% and even in the shade sweat would pour off you like a sprinkler system in a kitchen where dinner just burnt to a crisp and set off the alarm. Then we'd smile and realize we were so much better off.

analise

Original Poster
It's like the old saying "when you live a life of privilege, equality seems like oppression."
(I'm not implying you're privileged, or that you think you are, just referencing the idea of perspective and varying degrees)

When we went in December, we'd sometimes complain that it was still mighty warm, mighty humid...but then we'd remember our August trip where real-feel was routinely over 100% and even in the shade sweat would pour off you like a sprinkler system in a kitchen where dinner just burnt to a crisp and set off the alarm. Then we'd smile and realize we were so much better off.
Oh I wasn’t complaining. As I said I’m from Houston so I’m no stranger to hot humid weather, I was just pointing out that the weather isn’t as nice as the other comment implied.

Polydweller

You have the Gartner Conference over at Swolphin. Which is not necessarily bad unless you are staying around Boardwalk, but they have a lot of attendees and families of attendees who hit the parks.
Far more than the Swan and Dolphin. Boardwalk and Yacht and Beach Club are the main venues. The conference is so large the executive attendees only can get rooms in those. Thousands of other rooms across the property are taken by attendees.

Walt Disney1955

Late September and early October we went in 2009 and I don't remember the crowds being bad, just modest. We'll be doing the same thing this year. We'll be home on October 8th so we'll avoid that.

Hrudey3032

Here in Indianapolis alot of schools are now on the year round schooling, as such my son gets 2 weeks off in October. I will say alot of times while it is fairly busy during the day, at night it seems to thin out as alot of guests have done the Food and Wine festival and are ready to go by mid evening. Still my favorite time of year to go to WDW.

WDW_Jon

Snap, also glad to learn that!
According to one post Apparently that’s not a good thing but not had a reason why yet! :rolleyes:Been early October before which is great and I get the MNSSHP part and food and wine but we are there 15 nights so not in such a huge rush like many... can’t wait to hear the reasons!

analise

Original Poster
Far more than the Swan and Dolphin. Boardwalk and Yacht and Beach Club are the main venues. The conference is so large the executive attendees only can get rooms in those. Thousands of other rooms across the property are taken by attendees.
Looked up the dates... oct 14th is the start date. We’ll be gone by then... oct 9th is our last day

kong1802

We went Columbus Day weekend last year. Huge mistake. It was 94 degrees and more crowded than any other time we have visited (we don't go Christmas week, Easter, or Spring Break weeks). There was a 15 minute wait to get inside Cosmic Rays to wait another 15-20 minutes just to order! And this was at 2!

I think previous posters pretty much summed up why this is the case. Locals love F&W, northern schools have fall breaks, and people love MNSSHP, which cause every MK day that doesn't have one to be packed to the gills....

analise

Original Poster
Late September and early October we went in 2009 and I don't remember the crowds being bad, just modest. We'll be doing the same thing this year. We'll be home on October 8th so we'll avoid that.
We went Columbus Day weekend last year. Huge mistake. It was 94 degrees and more crowded than any other time we have visited (we don't go Christmas week, Easter, or Spring Break weeks). There was a 15 minute wait to get inside Cosmic Rays to wait another 15-20 minutes just to order! And this was at 2!

I think previous posters pretty much summed up why this is the case. Locals love F&W, northern schools have fall breaks, and people love MNSSHP, which cause every MK day that doesn't have one to be packed to the gills....
was it just mk or the whole park in general? I mean there’s nothing I can do now, it is what it is but I’d like to get an idea of what I’m in for. We’re going Columbus Day weekend too. And actually 94 degrees isn’t that bad to me. I’m from TX lol. That’s a cool front! Jk. But honestly it’s manageable

kong1802

was it just mk or the whole park in general? I mean there’s nothing I can do now, it is what it is but I’d like to get an idea of what I’m in for. We’re going Columbus Day weekend too. And actually 94 degrees isn’t that bad to me. I’m from TX lol. That’s a cool front! Jk. But honestly it’s manageable

It's mostly MK. Hard to even walk around. I would suggest doing the old get there at rope drop, and then use your 3 FP's and get outta there! :)

analise

Original Poster
It's mostly MK. Hard to even walk around. I would suggest doing the old get there at rope drop, and then use your 3 FP's and get outta there! :)
We are actually doing the party. I’m hoping the crowds at MK that day are not too bad. Honestly idk what to expect at this point. My strategy is plan for the worst & hope for the best

kong1802

We are actually doing the party. I’m hoping the crowds at MK that day are not too bad. Honestly idk what to expect at this point. My strategy is plan for the worst & hope for the best

That's the caveat. You'll be fine. Going to the MK on a party day is a great idea! Most report that those days are substantially lower crowd wise.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

It’s mk...and Epcot because of food and wine (evenings at least)...and increased crowds in dak...and now some uptick in crowds at mgm with still a ton of construction...and springs because of overflow...

So...typhoon is always and option 😎

I don’t mean to scare anyone...but you have to be prepared...anyone looking for “light” crowds in October simply will not find them. Bookings ARE down this year, however, so maybe 2018 is softer than it has been for several years? I hope everyone low crowds (so no one buys after hours magic)

thomas998

I keep hearing this. I mean I’ve been to DW at different times & so I know it’s never not busy but I honestly expected October to have less crowds. Apparently I’m wrong. Does anyone know why? I keep hearing TX has a break during this month & so they flock to DW but I’m from TX & we don’t (Houston) have a break till November.
Texas is a very large state and the school districts set their own calendars when it comes to fall breaks and when they happen. While Houston doesn't have one in October but others in the state do, then there are the neighboring states like Oklahoma where I think one of their largest school districts has 2 weeks off for fall break in October... You have to figure that if even 10 or 15 percent of schools in the country give their kids fall breaks that its going to impact a place like Disney.... And from what I've noticed the schools seem to be more inclined to have fall breaks now than they did 30 years ago when I was going... I have no idea why schools are doing it but they are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom