Why is October so busy?

thomas998

One more thing: October is just a nice time here in Florida. Humidity is down, clear blue skies, cooler days and even cooler evenings.

While it is cooler than July or August, it still isn't what I would call much of an improvement until that last two weeks of October and that's when the crowds seem to really jump for the month. Frankly December has become my preferred time for Disney as the weather is finally cooler and if you go early in the month the crowds aren't that bad.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s partly about state school calendars dumping people into the parks...

I’ve long abandoned Jersey week...I saw “everyone leave Louisiana” week last year and I’m done with that...I’ve been there for M-hole weeks several times.

But it’s more than that...more people travel...with more frequency...all weeks a year. And more people are now like me: not caring about the school calendar anyway...the education system has kinda lost its mind.

phillip9698

Texas is a very large state and the school districts set their own calendars when it comes to fall breaks and when they happen. While Houston doesn't have one in October but others in the state do, then there are the neighboring states like Oklahoma where I think one of their largest school districts has 2 weeks off for fall break in October... You have to figure that if even 10 or 15 percent of schools in the country give their kids fall breaks that its going to impact a place like Disney.... And from what I've noticed the schools seem to be more inclined to have fall breaks now than they did 30 years ago when I was going... I have no idea why schools are doing it but they are.

Because the school year begins at the end of July now as opposed to when we were in school and it began end of August, early September.

World_Showcase_Lover007

Long story short...Disney has looked at the calendar and found ways to make every slow period more profitable. They do Princess Marathons, festivals, etc during the old slow weeks plus Disney dining plans.

jloucks

Precisely, as well as school fall breaks, conventions/conferences, the weather begins to get slightly cooler.

When we went in October, we wanted to stay at the Contemporary, and it was booked solid! Back then, the parks were not all that full and so I was perplxed as to what was happeneing. So I asked. Yep! It was a boat load of conventions and conferences in town using the resorts.

...which I kinda have a problem with. :p

jloucks

Texas is a very large state and the school districts set their own calendars when it comes to fall breaks and when they happen. While Houston doesn't have one in October but others in the state do, then there are the neighboring states like Oklahoma where I think one of their largest school districts has 2 weeks off for fall break in October... You have to figure that if even 10 or 15 percent of schools in the country give their kids fall breaks that its going to impact a place like Disney.... And from what I've noticed the schools seem to be more inclined to have fall breaks now than they did 30 years ago when I was going... I have no idea why schools are doing it but they are.

We live in Texas and have gone in October. There is no break in our school district, but it is a great time to hooky from school. We have found that being honest with the teachers tends to also lead to make up ability for most work. ...but totally up to the teacher. In theory, they could penalize the kids.

CaptainAmerica

One more thing: October is just a nice time here in Florida. Humidity is down, clear blue skies, cooler days and even cooler evenings.
October is the reason I moved out of Florida after three years. June, July, and August were fine because that's summertime and summertime is supposed to be hot. October certainly isn't as hot as those months but it's even more mentally oppressive IMO. That's not the time of year it's supposed to be into the 80s.

crxbrett

October is the reason I moved out of Florida after three years. June, July, and August were fine because that's summertime and summertime is supposed to be hot. October certainly isn't as hot as those months but it's even more mentally oppressive IMO. That's not the time of year it's supposed to be into the 80s.

Don't ever move to Southern California/LA then lol We get into the 80s and 90s year-round and from Apr-Nov you can get 95+ degree days at any time.

Just curious, where did you move to when you left Florida?

jloucks

You would not like Texas either then. :p

Disstevefan1

Simply put, there is no longer what we knew as a off peak time at WDW. Folks may get lucky and be at a park, maybe late in the day and at that moment it's not crowded, but for the most part, it's always crowded.

Folks may come back and say statistically attendence is down, I say, when I am in the parks, "it feels more crowded"

Maybe this is because of fast pass plus? I notice my self that I enter the park, I have my fast passes, and I just wonder around waiting for my fast pass times, I say to my self, "well I have time between fast passes, should I try to get on a standby line and risk missing my return time" often I say no, and wonder around until my next time comes up.

I also notice fast pass plus makes you zig zag around the park , I never get two next to each other.

I think before fast pass plus folks just went from attraction to attraction got in the queue and there was a lot less wondering and it seemed less crowded..

Just my thoughts..

Last edited:

worldfanatic

Interesting....
I'm curious why you're unable to get Fastpass for attractions next to each other?
My experience has been the exact opposite with Fastpass +.
By booking ahead, I'm able to avoid the criss-crossing of the parks.
Previously, and currently at the Disneyland Resort, I find myself having to bounce around to take full advantage of Fastpass.
I love the new system, especially because I tend to visit the parks later in the day than most people. I now have prime attractions lined up for me when I arrive.
Before you had to get there early to secure the best Fastpass times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom