Why is it so hard to get to the Magic Kingdom

habuma

I like riding the monorail or ferry trying to get one last view of the caste until the next trip!

Absolutely! I've only ridden the ferry *to* the Magic Kingdom, but I suspect my experience is similar going the other way.

The one part of my past few trips (and my upcoming trip) that I look forward to the most on the first day is dropping off the rental car at the auto center and riding the ferry to MK to meet up with my family. There's some really unique vantage points for photographing the Contemporary, MK, GF, and Poly. And those vantage points keep changing as the ferry gets closer. On my last trip, I think I took over 100 photos on my ferry ride alone.

Tom

Beta Return
It's part of the experience. Of course, today's society has conditioned us to be immediately gratified - which is a shame because nobody takes the time to appreciate things like this.

The transition is long and gradual, both into the park, and leaving. You go from true civilization, to the parking, to a unique form of transportation taking you far away from civilization, to the main entry tunnels, and into a whole new world. And in reverse, it eases you back into civilization in the end.

But since everyone just wants to get there, get in, max out their ride count, and get home....it's lost a lot of its charm.

Avenger117

I didn't read all of this but what I did read made me sad. Is it really a lot of work to ride on a monorail for a few minutes? this is like that stuff you see on Twitter filed under #FirstWorldProblems. I really love the Lagoon, but I love being around water in general. I think its really pretty and part of the fun is taking the scenic monorail or boat ride over to the Magic Kingdom. A big parking lot in front of the park is something I can get at Carrowinds or Six Flags and not have to pay $95 to get in.

HM Spectre

And here I thought it was easy...

A tram takes you to and from the parking lot... the monorail or ferry takes you to and from MK... if you're at a monorail resort, you can walk straight out of your resort to the monorail... or you can skip it all and take a bus straight there.

I guess sitting down and waiting is tiring nowadays? Maybe there's a teleportation device built into the $2B MM+ budget... ;)

lazyboy97o

Seven Seas Lagoon was designed as the center of the theme park resort area. The rest of Disney World was to be occupied by EPCOT, the industrial park and the Airport of the Future.

lazyboy97o

Although I agree with the answers here, it does open the relevant question of why none of the OTHER theme parks were built with a lagoon…
Expense. But Disney has moved away from the lot immediately out front at the other resorts. This makes me wonder why Disney's Animal Kingdom has a lot right out front.

Mukta

Whenever I leave the MK, I am grateful that I stay onsite and have easy access to the buses. I have seen some very long lines for the ferry and monorail and I go in the off season.

Goofyernmost

Take the bus. It's actually less of a hassle than taking the bus to other parks and the walk is not so bad.
Talk about missing the point. It's all part of the show. I have been going that way since my first visit and I love it. Yes, after a long day, one does wish they could get back a little quicker, but, it has never been as much of a hassle as waiting for an hour for a bus at closing. At least your moving.

morningstar

I think the "grand reveal" was appropriate back then in the 70's but now it sure isn't. I mean there's buses that stop there now unlike before it's just the monorail and boats.
Anyway, I still think it would be better for then to do a "reverse Universal" and make the lagoon a parking lot.
As a matter of fact most people's "grand reveal" nowadays would be hearing the fanfare music that they play on the bus when it turns towards the bus unloading area! Does anyone have the music so I can make it a ring tone?

Recorded music track on a bus. Very magical.

Tom

Beta Return
Expense. But Disney has moved away from the lot immediately out front at the other resorts. This makes me wonder why Disney's Animal Kingdom has a lot right out front.

...and why guests have full view of disastrously ugly backstage facilities, specifically as you come to the park on a bus. A pond surrounded by barbed wire fence....really sets the mood.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom