Why is it so hard to get to the Magic Kingdom

Goofyernmost

Another benefit of being an onsite guest - easier access to the MK.
If you can honestly feel that being packed into a bus with 60 smelly, tired and grouchy people a benefit, you're a better person then I.

Whenever I leave the MK, I am grateful that I stay onsite and have easy access to the buses. I have seen some very long lines for the ferry and monorail and I go in the off season.
The long lines at the Ferry is quite deceiving. That boat holds a lot of people, much more then the Monorail per trip and way, way more then the buses.

morningstar

Although I agree with the answers here, it does open the relevant question of why none of the OTHER theme parks were built with a lagoon…

You can reach Epcot by the monorail, of course, and I certainly think it's the best way, even more relevant than the Magic Kingdom. If you do use the parking lot, it's a fairly long walk as I recall until you reach the gate, during which time you can see the weenie Epcot ball. The pre-gate landmark for the Magic Kingdom is the train station, which wouldn't look impressive from far off, so simply putting the parking lot a bit of a distance away doesn't cut it. Hollywood Studios' entrance does face an itty-bitty lake; the parking lot is off to the side. And AK puts the transition inside the gate, with the Discovery Trails or I'm not sure what it's called.

The key to all is that you don't just suddenly pop from the real world to the magical one. You go through a period of acclimatization and the time it takes to make the transition is important to suspending disbelief. You wouldn't believe that going from the real world to a magical one would be an instant transition.

MickeyPeace

TDO has installed new docking piers recently on 7 Seas Lagoon.

These are to be used for high speed hydrofoils in phase 2 of MM+. Guests can reserve a fast pass that will jet then across the lake leaving the Gen Joe Potter in its wake.

Tom

Beta Return
If you can honestly feel that being packed into a bus with 60 smelly, tired and grouchy people a benefit, you're a better person then I.

The long lines at the Ferry is quite deceiving. That boat holds a lot of people, much more then the Monorail per trip and way, way more then the buses.

I'm going from memory, but I think the ferry boats hold something like 500 people, with monorails holding 200-250 when crammed full.

And with the extra docks added at both ends, ferry transportation will vastly improve. And personally, I find the ferries to be a very pleasant mode of transportation, even at park closing. The monorails are only comfortable in the middle of the day when they're about 25% full.

kelknight84

I'm going from memory, but I think the ferry boats hold something like 500 people, with monorails holding 200-250 when crammed full.

And with the extra docks added at both ends, ferry transportation will vastly improve. And personally, I find the ferries to be a very pleasant mode of transportation, even at park closing. The monorails are only comfortable in the middle of the day when they're about 25% full.
You are correct with the 500 number for the ferry.

bethymouse

No lagoon? No high-priced DVC Polynesian! Oh well. The lagoon is a unique experience, and it is one of the 1st memories as a kid I have of taking the ferry over to that magical place! Anticipation!:D

Kristamouse

I agree with you on the way out...our October 2012 trip one boat was down and express was down when we left. I would have paid, a lot, to have a bus loop or path to walk back to TTC. It was a 2 hour hot mess with nervous breakdowns all over the place. In the event of a real catastrophe does Disney have a exit back plan?
In hindsight we should have walked to Contempory and then on to TTC...

Goofyernmost

They're a great deal better than the NJ Transit buses that I take daily. I'll take a Disney bus anyday.
I agree, but this isn't about the NJ Transit Buses, this is about Disney and the option that are available to get into MK. The others, especially the ferry, is a much more pleasant experience.

I have been 43 time and only once have I stayed onsite. When that bus rolled up to the MK entrance I really did have the feeling that I had missed a huge part of the experience. The trams are an attraction, the monorail is an attraction, the ferry's are an attraction. The bus is just transportation to me.

Communicore

I agree, but this isn't about the NJ Transit Buses, this is about Disney and the option that are available to get into MK. The others, especially the ferry, is a much more pleasant experience.

I have been 43 time and only once have I stayed onsite. When that bus rolled up to the MK entrance I really did have the feeling that I had missed a huge part of the experience. The trams are an attraction, the monorail is an attraction, the ferry's are an attraction. The bus is just transportation to me.
But the ferry, monorail, and trams have no fanfare music!

MikeTaylorSound

Think about all of the fights (some physical and made news) that have happened from people being told there was no room left on the tram. More trams to the value resorts (or trams without E-Vehicle capability) would solve a lot of problems; I know they've expanded the tram station. Since those resorts are located as far away from MK than any other, there should be more buses going to MK or Park Hopper buses from AK to MK or AK to EP (so they can ride the monorail to MK from EP).

Scooter

It's funny how magical it is taking the Monorail or Boat to the Magic Kingdom in the morning when you're full of energy and all excited, then how crowded and monotonous the trip is when you leave the park at night when everyone is all tired and sweaty and the kids are all grouchy. I have a thing I do when I leave the Magic Kingdom to ride the boat or Monorail back to the real world. When the grouchy, sweaty people are pushing and shoving me I just take a deep breath, look back at the Magic Kingdom and the castle one more time, then think about how lucky I am to be one of the fortunate people who gets to experiance all the magic that Disney has to offer,
and then, if only for a moment, I feel less stressed and little more happy. Corny? Yes...but it works for me.:joyfull:

Goofyernmost

Think about all of the fights (some physical and made news) that have happened from people being told there was no room left on the tram. More trams to the value resorts (or trams without E-Vehicle capability) would solve a lot of problems; I know they've expanded the tram station. Since those resorts are located as far away from MK than any other, there should be more buses going to MK or Park Hopper buses from AK to MK or AK to EP (so they can ride the monorail to MK from EP).
Can you point out some of those "fights" because that is a first for me. I've heard of them getting on rides, etc. but never once have I heard about one concerning the trams.

Kuzcotopia

I watched a Modern Marvels documentary about WDW (can probably find on YouTube).

Apparently, Walt was super upset about what happened across the street from Disneyland. Tons of gaudy signs for food and cheap hotels, within viewing distance inside the park. It spoiled it for him.

He hired dummy corporations to buy up the Florida land, getting enough to ensure he owned everything around the park he planned to build. No one else could build near the Florida park, and the illusion would not be spoiled.

Did they do too good a job, making it a pain to get there by car? Well, maybe.

Anyway, it's a good documentary.

ABQ

Talk about missing the point. It's all part of the show. I have been going that way since my first visit and I love it. Yes, after a long day, one does wish they could get back a little quicker, but, it has never been as much of a hassle as waiting for an hour for a bus at closing. At least your moving.
I didn't miss the point at all. I was responding to the OP's question with a way for them to avoid what appeared to be a nuisance to them. Typically, I take the boat to the MK, from the WL. I know why the approach to the MK is how it is, I was merely pointing out another option. Talk about assuming incorrectly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom