Why is DAK so far away???

PhilosophyMagic

Original Poster
I was looking at satellite images of WDW and noticed that not only is DAK at the very, very, very edge of WDW property (so that the "real world," including houses, etc., are practically across the street, and you can see off-property utility poles from the DAK bus stops) but there is a huge expanse of land just northeast of DAK, near the center of WDW property.

Why on Earth was DAK built where it is, and why is that other land empty?

Am I going crazy?

Gooch

Hmm. I've never taken notice of the "real world" being close to AK, nor have I ever thought of it being "far away." Maybe it's just me.

WelshBatman

The real world is very close to Animal Kingdom, but you can't see it. Take a 5 minute trip down Sherbeth rd. and onto to rte. 192... Though I wouldn't suggest it until after noon time most days... traffic sucks on 192.

Wilt Dasney

Being in the park, I've never felt any outside intrusions, but this thread made me check it out on Google earth. It looks like the park has a golf course not too far from it to the northwest, but there seem to be plenty of trees between, and that's also the savannah area, so I doubt any guest would ever know it.

The southern edge of the parking lot looks pretty close to a housing subdivision, but again you've got several lanes of pavement (from inside the parking lot) and what looks like a few lines of trees to obscure it.

WelshBatman

That "subdivision" is just a bunch of condos. Right across the street from them is the Animal Kingdom Costuming/rehearsal space/lockers for cast. But you can't see any of it from the parking lot. In fact you have to go some to see it. However, from the other side (the condos and the animal kingdom building) you get a very nice view of Everest.

Eljay

When I drive up to the AKL, I always feel like I'm in the middle of nowhere, so I guess they did something right! :animwink:

Captain Hank

It was probably a combination of distance from other theme parks (fireworks), proximity to the tree farm/Horticulture Headquarters and a large patch of undeveloped (and geologically stable) land.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Captain Hank got it. The land to the NE of DAK would need heavy enginering to support a theme park, consequently it isn`t designated for anything. There was also the Western Way boundary to consider (it was long planned before DAK)

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
For the same reason Isla Nublar is in a remote location in Jurassic Park: so any escaped animals won't GO AND EAT EVERYONE AT THE MAGIC KINGDOM! AHHH!!!

NASAMan

To me, one of the most impressive views from Animal Kingdom is during the Kilimanjaro Safari when, after seeing the crocodiles in their pool, you drive up a short rise and turn the corner to see the savannah spread out before you. It seems like you can see for miles, and really gives the impression of remoteness. With DAK placed where it is, Disney has full control over the this view, hopefully to prevent, say, a giant dolphin or swan from intruding on this view. Western Way expansion needs to be done carefully.

From inside the park the only 'outside' intrusion I've been able to spot is the cell phone tower to the west. You can see it from the walks around Expedition Everest. Because of this, it has been dressed as a giant sequoia tree. Good show!

automagic

It was probably a combination of distance from other theme parks (fireworks), proximity to the tree farm/Horticulture Headquarters and a large patch of undeveloped (and geologically stable) land.

What would make this particular parcel of land more "geologically stable" than the adjacent areas?

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
A thought: There used to be absolutely nothing near Epcot.

Much as I hate to admit it....that is the best of reasons. It gives the greatest opportunity for growth if they are well separated.

This is a little off topic but that fake tree is the ugliest and fakest looking thing at all of WDW. Bad Show! :wave:

Not as bad as the communications tower "trees"

What would make this particular parcel of land more "geologically stable" than the adjacent areas?

Less water. The added need to do a great deal of stabilization prior to the build of a major facility has long been a challenge for all of WDW.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
To me, one of the most impressive views from Animal Kingdom is during the Kilimanjaro Safari when, after seeing the crocodiles in their pool, you drive up a short rise and turn the corner to see the savannah spread out before you. It seems like you can see for miles, and really gives the impression of remoteness. With DAK placed where it is, Disney has full control over the this view, hopefully to prevent, say, a giant dolphin or swan from intruding on this view. Western Way expansion needs to be done carefully.
i have always admired that too. good call

Not as bad as the communications tower "trees".
i concur. you would think that they would add a few branches below the top, but then again, i guess that cost more money.

automagic

Less water. The added need to do a great deal of stabilization prior to the build of a major facility has long been a challenge for all of WDW.

I disagree. That parcel of land is not more geologically stable given that is supposedly has less water. That's not necessarily true.

DisneyJoe

I disagree. That parcel of land is not more geologically stable given that is supposedly has less water. That's not necessarily true.

According to the Modern Marvels show on the History channel, the parcel of land that is now DAK used to be a large cow pasture/farm.

That would lead me to believe that it may possibly have less water or swampiness than other parts of property.

I also remember that show stating that they still brought in 50 trucks per day of soil for 2 years(?) for that park.....

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy

I defer to you as I do not for a second claim to know the details of land readiness on the Disney property. I do know that detailed work is done before building any structure, and that for significant structures, locations are carefully chosen, and even then they require significant supplemental foundational work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom