Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

pheneix

Original Poster
Yes, but to be fair, $DIS has had a monster run. It's not the worst idea to short it. Even with it coming of $68. I personally don't short stocks but I understand why one would here.

Yeah.... I threw some money at DIS on a "monkey trade" during this insane stock market run but I've been selling off into strength this summer. I dunno if I would short the stock with my money just yet. Very easy to be burned shorting a name like DIS which is in so many cash heavy businesses.

lazyboy97o

But then @WDW1974 mentioned a few times that new ships for DCL are going to happen soon again, so with all the projects on both coasts and two more ships again, how much cutting back can that be? Throw in that Euro Disney SCA is contractually obliged to open a third gate in the not too distant future...
Not too long ago all of the involved parties agreed to push back the opening of the third gate so as to avoid another new gate fiasco.

Bolna

Not too long ago all of the involved parties agreed to push back the opening of the third gate so as to avoid another new gate fiasco.

I knew that - but thought that it was only pushed back a little bit. I just looked it up and while the original deadline would be 2017, it has been changed to 2030. So I guess they really don't have to spend money on it yet...

cheezbat

I knew that - but thought that it was only pushed back a little bit. I just looked it up and while the original deadline would be 2017, it has been changed to 2030. So I guess they really don't have to spend money on it yet...
Well if WDSP doesn't get the boost it needs in the next few years, I wouldn't be surprised if they pushed back the third gate even further.

The Empress Lilly

I think - hope - all parties involved understand that first WDSP needs to be developed into a functioning park.

Wish they would just give it the DCA treatment, a one-time rethink. That might work better than all those seperate projects they've been doing for quite some time now. These fail to give the park a new identity, or indeed any identity in the first place.
Besides, they are of mixed succes. Toy Playland stinks, Rat looks to be awesome. Previously, ToT was a great addition, but remains placed awkwardly in the middle of the park.

What I don't understand is Disney trying so hard to McFranchise their parks, into a generic Disney Parks brand, without them reaping the benefits. Why are there no rumours floating around of DHS and WDSP looking to share costs for a killer Star Wars or Cars addition?

pheneix

Original Poster
Don't shoot the messenger but....

Hearing a great deal about how it has been determined that Buena Vista Street at DCA isn't really financially justifying it's existence and that placemaking is now "out" on future theme park projects.

That's no doubt going to have an impact on how this park's future development pans out.

HMF

Hearing a great deal about how it has been determined that Buena Vista Street at DCA isn't really financially justifying it's existence and that placemaking is now "out" on future theme park projects.
I really do not understand the MBA/Wall Street/Capitalist worldview that nothing has value other than pure profit and that people, things, experiences, basically everything on the planet has to somehow financially justify it's existence. It just does not make sense to me and I don't understand how anyone can see things in such black and white terms unless they are the most soulless, empty sociopathic people on the planet. I just don't get it.

pheneix

Original Poster
I really do not understand the MBA/Wall Street/Capitalist worldview that nothing has value other than pure profit and that people, things, experiences, basically everything on the planet has to somehow financially justify it's existence. It just does not make sense to me and I don't understand how anyone can see things in such black and white terms unless they are the most soulless, empty sociopathic people on the planet. I just don't get it.

There's a reason why I tend to refer to WDC as the "Society of Sociopaths" from time to time.

Pixiedustmaker

That's no doubt going to have an impact on how this park's future development pans out.

BVS is shops, and just one attraction that is cheap to maintain. BVS's Starbucks makes the company a ton of money (isn't the BVS Starbucks the busiest in the states?), and the place is certainly much busier than the old Sunshine Plaza . . . and there is a fine dining establishment in the form of the Carthay. DCA's rebranding has been considered to be wildly successful, and having a pretty welcome mat is part of that.

BVS was also just a face-lift. They gutted the stores and put on new facades, though of course the Carthay was a new construction project. If DCA is 33% of the way to paying off the bill for DCA 2.0, they'll doubtlessly turn a nice profit in less than four years . . .

Placemaking is apparently alive and well with Avatarland and Shanghai Disneyland, I would point out.

Seems that not too long ago you were talking about a massive project at DHS, with a highly themed, i.e. "placemaking" Star Wars land?

Pixiedustmaker

The top folks on Wall Street who go to Davos, and the other big shindigs, have more on their minds than profit, might surprise you that a lot of them are interested in changing the world for good. They discuss things like a vaccine for HIV/AIDS, world hunger, sustainability, design . . . While you'd think that the "occupy Wall St." crowd are the people most concerned with changing the world and making progress, the very folks they protested against are the real movers and shakers. (Money flows to ideas that look smart, and these folks makes all sorts of decisions with regards to whom that money flows.)

They're not perfect, but a market driven economy is what we've got, though I personally believe in the importance of government restrictions, for the common good, i.e. EPA, labor laws . . .

It is black and white thinking to conclude that everybody on Wall Street is "evil".

SirLink

This isn't that though ... this is pure stupidity on behalf of executive leadership of P&R and WDI. There are CEOs and VPs that get quality will always sell though. Disney sell a premium priced value content experience, that is where the schism occurs. Heck I know its one time observation but on 3rd July Buena Vista street shops bar Starbucks seemed empty, lack of original merchandise. Also the windows are so bland that why would you want to go in ... remakes of 30s/40s/50s style products are in so why not have toys done to be like that ... there were a bunch of easy cash in merch opportunities and P&R blew each one.

HMF

This isn't that though ... this is pure stupidity on behalf of executive leadership of P&R and WDI. There are CEOs and VPs that get quality will always sell though. Disney sell a premium priced value content experience, that is where the schism occurs. Heck I know its one time observation but on 3rd July Buena Vista street shops bar Starbucks seemed empty, lack of original merchandise. Also the windows are so bland that why would you want to go in ... remakes of 30s/40s/50s style products are in so why not have toys done to be like that ... there were a bunch of easy cash in merch opportunities and P&R blew each one.
The replacement of the WDI-approved theming with "One Disney" crap in the display windows probably hurt more than anything.

Captain Neo

Not surprising I guess removing the hat is probably out of the question. I honestly don't think the problem is Disney management but the imagineering costs. WDI is a big problem as they are the ones ballooning costs.

HMF

Not surprising I guess removing the hat is probably out of the question. I honestly don't think the problem is Disney management but the imagineering costs. WDI is a big problem as they are the ones ballooning costs.
If they don't tear that hat down as part of this makeover then it will really be for naught. Getting rid of the hat is top priority in my book.

SirLink

I understand the convenience mindset of having a wide variety of items available in one place but a themed environment like the Disney Parks are/supposed to be is not the place for that mindset.

I'm surprised that Merchandising department hasn't been doing an Indian war dance - on the lack of merch for Avatar.

HMF

I'm surprised that Merchandising department hasn't been doing an Indian war dance - on the lack of merch for Avatar.
So wait, Buena Vista Street is not financially justified but Avatar is? I know that it is supposedly the highest grossing film of all time but in terms of substance and culturally it's impact has been rather lackluster especially to warrant an entire land in a theme park.

Captain Neo

So wait, Buena Vista Street is not financially justified but Avatar is? I know that it is supposedly the highest grossing film of all time but in terms of substance and culturally it's impact has been rather lackluster especially to warrant an entire land in a theme park.

Avatar land is based on the highest grossing movie of all time and will be anchored by an e-ticket. Big difference from Beuna vista street that was created solely so that DCA could have a decent entry area.

Black Pearl

There's a reason why I tend to refer to WDC as the "Society of Sociopaths" from time to time.

Reminds me of the first day I worked there years back. Walked by an office hearing a man shouting F bombs into the phone (or other profane words). I'm not a saint but any of that Walt like image built up in my head was sadly shattered immidietly

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom