Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

Pixiedustmaker

In regards to this specific details, t doesn't make much sense for WDW unless (1) Tomorrowland in DL is getting a large Star Wars themed makeover that will total change the character of that land or (2) there will be only minor changes to DHS regarding Star Wars. Neither sounds likely to me.

I don't know the scope or timetable of any DHS Star Wars expansion -- probably very few truly do, and it's probable the specifics have not been finalized -- but all indications are that it will be a full fledged land with restaurants, a few rides/attractions, merch and new theming.

I'm very skeptical that Tomorrowland would get a $100 million . . . to put on a fresh coat of paint in preparation for a Star Wars land. If they used Innoventions, or at least the space, they could put in a Star Wars E-ticket, especially if they built a new track that loops around Tomorrowland . . . none of this requires a "placemaking" project for Tomorrowland. It is what the west coast fans want, their Tomorrowland spruced up . . .

If they do build Carsland at DHS, it will be full-sized and go into the parking lot, LMA opened in 2005, a lot of Backlot space they might well want to use for an addition to Pixar Place, etc . . .

Pixiedustmaker

What's hilarious is you assuming MiceAge believes the PeopleMover/Rocket Rod tracks won't be replaced, should this speeder bike attraction happen. How ignorant do you think they are?

LOL, well they wrote:

The E Ticket of the Tomorrowland remake uses the speeder bike coaster concept on the old PeopleMover route, originally Imagineered with a Tron theme but now using Star Wars as the storyline for the new ride.

There is not enough clearance for a bike coaster along the old People Mover route, regardless of whether they tear out the old track or not. They'd have to do major surgery to buildings in Tomorrowland, close Star Tours, perhaps rebuild this building, and others Also . . . don't know if they've seen Star Wars, but there aren't a whole lot of "bikes" in the films, save speeder bikers which flew around . . . Endor. It's not a good idea from a creative standpoint. I could see WDI doing spaceships from Star Wars on a completely new track around Tomorrowland which did not weave into buildings like the People Mover did.

Miceage didn't say that a new track wouldn't be built, but they also didn't say it would . . . seems like they didn't research this issue very well.

Interesting, and suspicious, how Monsters U did well at the box office recently, then renewed rumors about Monstropolis . . .

Also, on Eddie Sotto's thread, participants have speculated a while ago about a Monstropolis make-over for DCA's Hollywood area, as well as upgrading Fantasyland's dark rides . . . almost everything in Miceage's has been thought up independently by fans, but often times WDI is secretly working in a different direction.

Californian Elitist

LOL, well they wrote:

The E Ticket of the Tomorrowland remake uses the speeder bike coaster concept on the old PeopleMover route, originally Imagineered with a Tron theme but now using Star Wars as the storyline for the new ride.

Exactly, it says the same ROUTE, not "the same exact PeopleMover track, with no plans on replacing it."

Would they honestly have to tell us the track would get a replacement? That's common sense.

flynnibus

Premium Member
My gosh, MiceAge doesn't hate WDW, for the one millionth time.

Al does. Dusty and friends do not 'hate' it but they do hold a bias towards DLR. Al and others have carried over the generalization that because of past JR's OneDisney efforts.. everything comes with a 'they don't know how things work here' stigma.. and that every decision is just disconnected buffoons... scapegoats for everything.

I would tell you to go back and read Al's past articles.. say 5+ years ago.. but because of his miserable web setup its difficult to read his older stuff. Trust me - if you'd been following Al for longer.. you'd see it far more.

Californian Elitist

Al does. Dusty and friends do not 'hate' it but they do hold a bias towards DLR. Al and others have carried over the generalization that because of past JR's OneDisney efforts.. everything comes with a 'they don't know how things work here' stigma.. and that every decision is just disconnected buffoons... scapegoats for everything.

I would tell you to go back and read Al's past articles.. say 5+ years ago.. but because of his miserable web setup its difficult to read his older stuff. Trust me - if you'd been following Al for longer.. you'd see it far more.

Biased, sure. But hate is a strong word and I don't believe Lutz hates WDW.

I've read his past articles, those from five years ago and even older ones.

Captain Neo

I'm very skeptical that Tomorrowland would get a $100 million . . . to put on a fresh coat of paint in preparation for a Star Wars land. If they used Innoventions, or at least the space, they could put in a Star Wars E-ticket, especially if they built a new track that loops around Tomorrowland . . . none of this requires a "placemaking" project for Tomorrowland. It is what the west coast fans want, their Tomorrowland spruced up . . .

If they do build Carsland at DHS, it will be full-sized and go into the parking lot, LMA opened in 2005, a lot of Backlot space they might well want to use for an addition to Pixar Place, etc . . .

uh read better next time. The $100 million is for placemaking, upgrading the fantasyland dark rides and supposedly replacing Captain Eo with MILF. The Star Wars and Monstropolis projects will cost significantly more and are awaiting board approval.

Additionally, while the speeder bikes will replace the peoplemover/rocket rods they will not be using the peoplemover layout and track lol

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Pixiedust... I think you misread it. Speeder bike coaster, as in the prop from the movies. Not the type of ride system. The Rocket Rods track and busbar is defunct anyway and needs removing whatever uses the ride path. This has been proposed for several years now.

The MI coaster.... As bit of artistic licence. The suspended ride cars have door styling on them, not actually being strapped to a door.

TLF is indeed a go for the Magic Eye in DL.

Travel Junkie

LOL, well they wrote:

There is not enough clearance for a bike coaster along the old People Mover route, regardless of whether they tear out the old track or not. They'd have to do major surgery to buildings in Tomorrowland, close Star Tours, perhaps rebuild this building, and others Also . . . don't know if they've seen Star Wars, but there aren't a whole lot of "bikes" in the films, save speeder bikers which flew around . . . Endor. It's not a good idea from a creative standpoint. I could see WDI doing spaceships from Star Wars on a completely new track around Tomorrowland which did not weave into buildings like the People Mover did.

Miceage didn't say that a new track wouldn't be built, but they also didn't say it would . . . seems like they didn't research this issue very well.

Miceage has said multiple times in previous updates that the people mover track can not be reused and would have to torn down and rebuilt to support a new ride, both from a structural standpoint and also having to comply with newer safety laws. They are aware of the issues, even if they do not point them out in every update.

It has already been reported on this site that the speeder bike concept is being looked at for a Star Wars themed land at DHS. It is only natural that if this is true, they would also look at such a concept at DL as well. The fact that multiple independent soruces are reporting on the possibilty of speeder bike concepts at US theme parks themed to Star Wars adds to the validity.

In speaking about the Miceage hates WDW argument, they like to take shots at them, but they take plenty of shots at TDA as well. There are plenty of discussions on this forum that talk endlessly about issues at WDW. Miceage is hardly alone.

Captain Neo

The whole reason the rocket rods broke and ended up killing the peoplemover track is because they didn't rebuild it with banked turns and all of that. They were going to but wonderful Michael Eisner with Pressler and the Strategic team (which Staggs and Rasoulo were apart of) decided that it would be more "cost effective" to just work with the existing track and as a result the big new e-ticket for Tomorrowland was a bust effectively killing Tony Baxters career and turning Disneyland's Tomorrowland into a ghetto for 14 years.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The whole reason the rocket rods broke and ended up killing the peoplemover track is because they didn't rebuild it with banked turns and all of that. They were going to but wonderful Michael Eisner with Pressler and the Strategic team (which Staggs and Rasoulo were apart of) decided that it would be more "cost effective" to just work with the existing track and as a result the big new e-ticket for Tomorrowland was a bust effectively killing Tony Baxters career and turning Disneyland's Tomorrowland into a ghetto for 14 years.
The blame for lack of banks lies with Cynthia Harris. Remember her?

Captain Neo

Pixiedust... I think you misread it. Speeder bike coaster, as in the prop from the movies. Not the type of ride system. The Rocket Rods track and busbar is defunct anyway and needs removing whatever uses the ride path. This has been proposed for several years now.

The MI coaster.... As bit of artistic licence. The suspended ride cars have door styling on them, not actually being strapped to a door.

TLF is indeed a go for the Magic Eye in DL.

:( Same version as Floridas? How long do you think Captain EO has left another year? Are the other projects (TL redo and Monsters coaster) close to greenlight?

The blame for lack of banks lies with Cynthia Harris. Remember her?

Oh yea I remember her she got what she deserved in the end. I didn't realize it was her call to make. I thought the decision came from up top (Pressler and Strategic planning).

Pixiedustmaker

Exactly, it says the same ROUTE, not "the same exact PeopleMover track, with no plans on replacing it."

Would they honestly have to tell us the track would get a replacement? That's common sense.

No, that's not 'common sense', that's knowledge of a specific situation. A person without this knowledge would perhaps conclude that "People Mover" route means that it would be on the old People Mover track. It seems that Miceage doesn't care to address the practicality of such a project.

Nonetheless, you avoided mentioning that there is not enough room on "People Mover route" to put in a bike coaster. Simply not enough clearance, or space for banked turns, and they have to do major construction, and likely demolition, on the Star Tours, and buildings east of there, including near/in Space Mountain, and Innoventions. Some buildings could well have to be removed.

What "bike" from Star Wars are they using? Seems very far-fetched on a creative basis.

I say bogus rumor. Iger's crowning achievement will be Shanghai Disneyland . . . a massive new castle park with space for a second park. He also greenlit Avatarland, Carsland . . . don't see him asking to "turn on" the money spigot three years before he leaves.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
:( Same version as Floridas? How long do you think Captain EO has left another year? Are the other projects (TL redo and Monsters coaster) close to greenlight?
Oh yea I remember her she got what she deserved in the end. I didn't realize it was her call to make. I thought the decision came from up top (Pressler and Strategic planning).
Near enough same ride as Orlandos I believe, though I dare say the queue and preshow areas will be laid out differently. Orlando also didn't have any food areas included.

Harris refused a 10% budget increase for the Rods to have banked turns. Turned into a 55 million dollar fiasco that's been quietly brushed under the rug. Along with Light Magic.

Pixiedustmaker

Miceage has said multiple times in previous updates that the people mover track can not be reused and would have to torn down and rebuilt to support a new ride, both from a structural standpoint and also having to comply with newer safety laws. They are aware of the issues, even if they do not point them out in every update.

A bike coaster would require banked turns which are wider than the People Mover route. Mostly likely a lot of buildings would have to be demolished to also accomodate the angle of the turns. RR got around this with a computer control system which slowed down the RR near the turns . . . you can't do the same thing with a Vekoma bike coaster, sorry. Just won't work.

Were there motorcycle chases in Star Wars I missed? The only ones I remember are in Return of the Jedi . . . around forests. Doesn't make sense at all from a Star Wars perspective unless you think Disney will go Universal and splash "Star Wars" on any roller coaster.

Captain Neo

No, that's not 'common sense', that's knowledge of a specific situation. A person without this knowledge would perhaps conclude that "People Mover" route means that it would be on the old People Mover track. It seems that Miceage doesn't care to address the practicality of such a project.

Nonetheless, you avoided mentioning that there is not enough room on "People Mover route" to put in a bike coaster. Simply not enough clearance, or space for banked turns, and they have to do major construction, and likely demolition, on the Star Tours, and buildings east of there, including near/in Space Mountain, and Innoventions. Some buildings could well have to be removed.

What "bike" from Star Wars are they using? Seems very far-fetched on a creative basis.

I say bogus rumor. Iger's crowning achievement will be Shanghai Disneyland . . . a massive new castle park with space for a second park. He also greenlit Avatarland, Carsland . . . don't see him asking to "turn on" the money spigot three years before he leaves.

You will be eating your words within the next 6 months

flynnibus

Premium Member
Biased, sure. But hate is a strong word and I don't believe Lutz hates WDW.

I've read his past articles, those from five years ago and even older ones.

While not a jovial guy to start with.. the photos of the last time he went with the crew on their annual WDW trip - he just looked miserable. His attacks on everything florida and 'they can do no right' slant is well established.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom