Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

The Empress Lilly

big, big ups to @pheneix for his insight and his patience in dealing with the nonsense.

i seem to say this every 6 months or so, but the insiders don't get nearly enough credit for sharing the valuable info they do. i hope everyone takes a step back from time to time and realizes just how much incredible business insight is shared during our discourse.

thanks to pheneix, @Lee, @WDW1974, @articos, @marni1971, and anyone else i'm leaving out.
what!?...me not on the list!?...I'm inside too!...much too hot outside today!

Reade's Dad

Lmao we now count gift shops and food courts as major attractions here at Disney World? What a sad state of affairs

Having been to Carsland at Disneyland, I can honestly say the entire concept of Carsland IS a major attraction...even the food and gift ships are all party of the attraction ...for WDW to get only a portion of the Carsland will be a shame...as much as I would like unique attractions for for each park, Carsland would be a HuGE plus for DHS.

AEfx

Wait... people don't like waiting in lines? Has Disney's crack team of survey takers revealed anything else? Do they like high prices? I won't know unless there's a survey.

Where are the surveys about the decline in food quality since the Dining Plan has overtaken all things food related? What about the surveys after Everest about how guests feel about the broken yeti?

Dear Disney, if you want meaningful survey results, ask meaningful questions.

But that's the problem.

The "decline" in food quality that people bemoan on the boards isn't simply a cost cutting measure, it's because families with kids (and even a lot of those adults) say they prefer more "basic" food. That's why hot noodles in MK didn't work - yes, some people who go often liked the variety, but to a lot of guests it was "I don't want hot noodles in the hot FL sun" and "wait they don't have any real food here?"

And the Yeti, which I think was just the crowning embarrassment of Everest (the project was doomed from the start) is because people just don't know he exists, and (people have argued with me about this before, but it's true) a lot of people didn't even see him when he was working. It's at a portion of the ride where you are going fast and the air is blowing at your face (causing many folk to squint) and is over and done with so fast it was hard to really see. Again, a lot of people have argued with me about that in the past - but it's true. It should have been the centerpiece inside the big empty mountain with visible steel supports.

But that bit aside, like I said - most people don't know he exists to begin with, so why would they reply in a survey about him. That's the big reason they haven't done anything - it won't be too long before we hit a decade of that thing being there, and don't tell me that Disney doesn't have the resources to really fix it (yes, yes, I know all the fan theories and such, but Disney could find a way, if they were motivated to do so).

I agree it's a sad state, but it's not mysterious why were are in that sad state.

IWant2GoNow

So glad I missed all the ruckus. I saw I needed to catch up on 10 pages in this thread... but then quickly (& sadly) found out that I had missed nothing at all.

I can't wait to get some concrete plans for whatever is going on. Universal is landing blow after blow & keeping my interest for the time being. Disney will always be my favorite but I will never dislike another amusement park solely based on that premise. Can't wait to see if WDI has something up their sleeve that will surprise us.

Pixiedustmaker

Having been to Carsland at Disneyland, I can honestly say the entire concept of Carsland IS a major attraction...even the food and gift ships are all party of the attraction ...for WDW to get only a portion of the Carsland will be a shame...as much as I would like unique attractions for for each park, Carsland would be a HuGE plus for DHS.

I can't see Carsland working nearly as well with 1/2, or even 3/4 of the place. It works well as it is as the fourth attraction is simply walking down Radiator Springs . . . if you've seen the film, then you know that they can't take out, for example, Flo's, Luigi's, Fillmore's, Mater's . . . it simply wouldn't be the same place and the 15% of guests who know the film very well would be perplexed.

I guess they could take out the flying tires behind Luigi's and put in another ride, though I kinda like the flying tires.

Given that Carsland is John Lasseter's baby, can't see him giving approval for a truncated Carsland, and given MU's success, and the string of Pixar successes, can't see management going against his wishes.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I can't see Carsland working nearly as well with 1/2, or even 3/4 of the place. It works well as it is as the fourth attraction is simply walking down Radiator Springs . . . if you've seen the film, then you know that they can't take out, for example, Flo's, Luigi's, Fillmore's, Mater's . . . it simply wouldn't be the same place and the 15% of guests who know the film very well would be perplexed.

I guess they could take out the flying tires behind Luigi's and put in another ride, though I kinda like the flying tires.

Given that Carsland is John Lasseter's baby, can't see him giving approval for a truncated Carsland, and given MU's success, and the string of Pixar successes, can't see management going against his wishes.

The only way I see Cars Land working is if either the entire land is build, or just RSR. As you said anything in between just doesn't cut it. Also, if they aren't going to clone all or part of what is at DCA I don't see the value of doing it at all. If they are going to redesign, why not just go with a different movie/franchise.

As for Lassiter, yes Cars Land was his baby, but when it comes to corporate politics you have to be willing to spend your political capital if you want things, and political capital is not unlimited. Lassiter seems to be more interested in Disneyland and Disneyworld so it's a question of whether Cars land is something he is willing to fight over in WDW.

Fairybuzz

Idk It's just not carsland without RSR. Thats like the centerpiece! it would be like Frontierland without Thunder Mt, Fantasyland without the castle, Tomorrowland without space mt (you get the pic)

ToTBellHop

From Miceage today regarding a recent visit to DCA by the Board of Directors:

The Board of Directors visit was planned by Walt Disney Imagineering and Bob’s sharp pencil boys in advance, as the Board spent the morning in the Presidential Suite and private board room at the Grand Californian Hotel. There they received financial briefings and overviews of the Parks & Resorts division that made the case that the DCA makeover put the Anaheim property on a rocket ride to increased cash flow and very strong customer feedback scores that promise even more future growth. Top execs from Imagineering then gave the Board a creative overview of the DCA project, as some members of the Board weren’t members back in ’07 when the project was launched. WDI also rolled out several of their top concepts to expand the Anaheim property further, with the Monstropolis mini-land and E Ticket Door Coaster planned for the sleepy Hollywood Backlot area and a new Star Wars themed makeover for the messy Tomorrowland section of Disneyland. The Board also got overviews of WDI’s plans to attempt a more modest makeover of the Disney’s Hollywood Studios park in Florida, with a scaled down Cars Land section and some of the same Star Wars concepts planned for Tomorrowland.

Also currently planned for the 60th is a new night parade from the capable hands of Steve Davison for Disneyland, and a new afternoon parade for DCA. The tentative parade plan has the MSEP staying in Walt Disney World until it is permanently retired (although when it left Anaheim in 2010, it was originally supposed to return to Anaheim in 2012), and the existing Pixar Play Parade at DCA would be shipped out to Florida if the TDO team wants it. And there is still the creative plan to dramatically re-Imagineer the existing five Fantasyland dark rides for Disneyland’s 60th that we told you about a few months ago.

Discuss.

Fairybuzz

From Miceage today regarding a recent visit to DCA by the Board of Directors:

The Board of Directors visit was planned by Walt Disney Imagineering and Bob’s sharp pencil boys in advance, as the Board spent the morning in the Presidential Suite and private board room at the Grand Californian Hotel. There they received financial briefings and overviews of the Parks & Resorts division that made the case that the DCA makeover put the Anaheim property on a rocket ride to increased cash flow and very strong customer feedback scores that promise even more future growth. Top execs from Imagineering then gave the Board a creative overview of the DCA project, as some members of the Board weren’t members back in ’07 when the project was launched. WDI also rolled out several of their top concepts to expand the Anaheim property further, with the Monstropolis mini-land and E Ticket Door Coaster planned for the sleepy Hollywood Backlot area and a new Star Wars themed makeover for the messy Tomorrowland section of Disneyland. The Board also got overviews of WDI’s plans to attempt a more modest makeover of the Disney’s Hollywood Studios park in Florida, with a scaled down Cars Land section and some of the same Star Wars concepts planned for Tomorrowland.

Also currently planned for the 60th is a new night parade from the capable hands of Steve Davison for Disneyland, and a new afternoon parade for DCA. The tentative parade plan has the MSEP staying in Walt Disney World until it is permanently retired (although when it left Anaheim in 2010, it was originally supposed to return to Anaheim in 2012), and the existing Pixar Play Parade at DCA would be shipped out to Florida if the TDO team wants it. And there is still the creative plan to dramatically re-Imagineer the existing five Fantasyland dark rides for Disneyland’s 60th that we told you about a few months ago.

Discuss.
Well that popped my bubble

flynnibus

Premium Member
If a name change for DHS is in the works, I'm curious if Disney has considered just adopting the "Disney Hollywoodland" for the Florida park? A facade of hills could be constructed atop buildings behind the Chinese Theater (e.g., the back section of TSMM) that included a scale copy of the original HOLLYWOODLAND sign.

Considering they didn't do it for DCA... which is the perfect ringer for this.. I doubt it.

gonnichi

So the latest rumor is that DHS is only getting a modest makeover with a scaled down Carsland and only some of the concepts of Star Wars Lands designed for other parks? I don't see how this is enough. What happens if this is not enough to compete with Universal Orlando. I was afraid that the makeover of DHS would get valued engineered down. I hope this report is not correct and they are willing to spend a lot to fix DHS properly.

SJN1279

So the latest rumor is that DHS is only getting a modest makeover with a scaled down Carsland and only some of the concepts of Star Wars Lands designed for other parks? I don't see how this is enough. What happens if this is not enough to compete with Universal Orlando. I was afraid that the makeover of DHS would get valued engineered down. I hope this report is not correct and they are willing to spend a lot to fix DHS properly.

Miceage always talks up Disneyland products and always says Disneyworld will get the inferior counterpart(whether if it is true or not). I remember years back Lutz was talking up the Nemo subs was going to the most amazing attraction ever, while Epcot was getting Nemolight. Instead Disneyland got a low capacity, overlong borefest, while Epcot got a dark ride that was high capacity and much more enjoyable.

BryceM

Miceage always talks up Disneyland products and always says Disneyworld will get the inferior counterpart(whether if it is true or not). I remember years back Lutz was talking up the Nemo subs was going to the most amazing attraction ever, while Epcot was getting Nemolight. Instead Disneyland got a low capacity, overlong borefest, while Epcot got a dark ride that was high capacity and much more enjoyable.
I have noticed some of the strong Walt Disney World "hate" that is on that website.

doctornick

Perhaps. Though I think it's more "dismissive" or "indifferent" towards WDW than anything else. Their core audience isn't necessary interested in what is going on at WDW, so they spend a lot of energy reporting about it.

In regards to this specific details, t doesn't make much sense for WDW unless (1) Tomorrowland in DL is getting a large Star Wars themed makeover that will total change the character of that land or (2) there will be only minor changes to DHS regarding Star Wars. Neither sounds likely to me.

I don't know the scope or timetable of any DHS Star Wars expansion -- probably very few truly do, and it's probable the specifics have not been finalized -- but all indications are that it will be a full fledged land with restaurants, a few rides/attractions, merch and new theming. There's no way IMHO that anything of that scale is going into DL's Tomorrowland -- they'll probably get an indoor Jedi Training in the current Captain Eo theater, maybe get some sort of Star Wars eatery (Mos Eisley?). But where would they put much else? In Innoventions instead of Iron Man?

Pixiedustmaker

The Board also got overviews of WDI’s plans to attempt a more modest makeover of the Disney’s Hollywood Studios park in Florida, with a scaled down Cars Land section and some of the same Star Wars concepts planned for Tomorrowland.

Some of the Miceage rumors don't seem quite right:

Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor was going to be cloned and put into more parks than just MK, but it hasn't turned to be as popular as management had hoped. Would Burbank look at putting in both a Monstropolis in DCA and a Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor in Tomorrowland? I kinda think not.

The Vekoma speeder bike coaster, I would think, need a track built custom for it as the thing goes pretty fast . . . plus there is no way that there is enough clearance on the inside parts of the People Mover Track. They'd have to close Star Tours to do structural work. The People Mover track is not banked . . . part of the reason why Rocket Rods had to use a sophisticated computer control system. The Vekoma bikes don't slow down, hence they'd have to rip out the track. No way something as fast, or most likely faster, would shoot down the aged People Mover track anytime soon.

The door coaster rumor looks like an idea straight from the film:

"The Door Coaster concept would have riders strapped onto the sides of doors as they are sent through several large show scenes in addition to a thrill ride component through the cavernous door hangars."

Monsters+Inc+Doors.jpg

Really? Strapped onto a door? You want to be able to sit down for most thrill rides, unless they are talking about something pretty extreme. Assuming a sit down ride vehicle, would they really put a door on the back? I'm also skeptical of a Monsters Inc. door coaster that is just the door scene, and that's it. Wouldn't you want guests to go through the doors? (Into different worlds?), hence you couldn't be strapped to a door while this happens.

The Miceage article also says that Iger won't announce because of a black cloud due to Lone Ranger, but also that WDI was told to hold the cards close to the chest because of Potterland?? More likely nothing has the greenlight just yet, Miceage said that the whole meeting at the Grand Californian was to show execs what WDI was working on . . ., not a preview of what will be constructed.

Lasseter wouldn't want RS to be scaled down, no way, fans of Cars wouldn't want to a see a Carsland missing Flo's or the Cozy Cone, Mater's, Fillmore's, Luigi's, or even the Curios shop . . . if the Cars franchise is still important, than can't mess with a major feature of the film. The shops are the characters in the film. That means a Carsland with no RSR, maybe even just a gigantic bill board for the Cadillac Mountain range? Doubt that WDI would built a lot of rockwork if no RSR was going in there.

I also doubt that Bob Iger has a plan to turn on the "money spigot" for DHS, DCA and Disneyland. The guy is only here through 2016, his crowning achievement will be Shanghai Disneyland, Carsland, Star Wars, Marvel . . . and maybe Avatarland.

If Disney is worried D23 won't be a success because of an announcement, then why:

"WDI has been warned by Burbank to keep their cards very close to their vest at D23 Expo while Comcast pours money into several new rides at Universal Studios up the freeway in Hollywood."

and then

"But without a major announcement about new E Tickets and splashy theme park expansion, D23 Expo may have a hard time generating fan interest from the 50,000 expected to attend."

I think Miceage would like to see attendees hurl cow pies at Disney at D23 because they want more $$ spent on attractions, can see Disney seriously being worried about D23, or there being a problem with no big announcements.

Miceage also reported that the Nemo Subs were history . . . then shortly thereafter Nemo 2 was announced, and if it does well, there maybe a Nemo 3. Nemo is Pixar's #1 film, the Nemo subs aren't going anywhere anytime soon. They'll be there in ten years plus.

Pixiedustmaker

I was afraid that the makeover of DHS would get valued engineered down. I hope this report is not correct and they are willing to spend a lot to fix DHS properly.

Assuming a Carsland is coming to DHS, the only reason to put in a scaled-down version would be space. Burbank has figured out that building a highly themed land is preferable, in the long term, to a cheap area that loses interest over time. Carsland has great guest satisfaction numbers, but that is for the whole land. They know that if they do less it will be noticed by the media and fans.

Miceage doesn't mention that Lasseter views Carsland as his baby, he makes visits to WDW, and he surely doesn't want a cheap Carsland.

It is hilarious that Miceage thinks that the People Mover track could support a bike coaster (themed like Star Wars and not Tron no less). Doubt it. Last time I checked the People Mover track wasn't banked, and the Vekoma bike coaster needs a pretty study track.

I think that Miceage Updates are less reliable than they used to be, all started with the bogus Nemo rumor. There are some on the site who think that, of course, Nemo will be taken out and the old sub ride put back in. Yeah, and they'll put the skyway back too! LOL

Californian Elitist

It is hilarious that Miceage thinks that the People Mover track could support a bike coaster (themed like Star Wars and not Tron no less). Doubt it. Last time I checked the People Mover track wasn't banked, and the Vekoma bike coaster needs a pretty study track.

What's hilarious is you assuming MiceAge believes the PeopleMover/Rocket Rod tracks won't be replaced, should this speeder bike attraction happen. How ignorant do you think they are?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom