Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

NoChesterHester

Yeah, I don't think we KNOW that Shanghai is getting a Tron COASTER. All we know is that it is a Tron Lightcycle attraction replacing Space Mountain as Tomorrowland's big thrill ride, and we all assumed it was a coaster.

If Star Wars' new E-ticket is the Lightcycles reskinned, and Jim seems to have so much more detail and back story regarding the ride system, I'm betting he's right. And I'm disappointed.

What he says regarding force moves in Mos Eisley etc, and the full-size walker sounds cool though.

If the ride system has never been implemented, as Jim seems to point out - then how do we know it will be disappointing? Baxter was a pretty clever megalomaniac...

britain

If the ride system has never been implemented, as Jim seems to point out - then how do we know it will be disappointing? Baxter was a pretty clever megalomaniac...

His intention was for this to be a Tron attraction. For all we know, he might say "You already have a Star Wars themed simulator, don't do this!"

doctornick

Yeah, this. I didn't get to listen to the podcast but the summary I read sounded interesting at least. And the IJ stunt show plot is very large (larger than Star Tours with its 6 theaters for example) so with only two ride vehicles/tracks there should be room for them to move around even if there are screen/simulator elements.

britain

Yeah, this. I didn't get to listen to the podcast but the summary I read sounded interesting at least. And the IJ stunt show plot is very large (larger than Star Tours with its 6 theaters for example) so with only two ride vehicles/tracks there should be room for them to move around even if there are screen/simulator elements.
Boy I sure hope you're right. But when he says things like "It can hold 50 at a time, but they'll build 2 domes so that will double capacity..." it sure doesn't sound like a 'mobile vehicles moving into a simulation environment' set up. Sounds a lot more like some sort of variation on Soarin.

cheezbat

Boy I sure hope you're right. But when he says things like "It can hold 50 at a time, but they'll build 2 domes so that will double capacity..." it sure doesn't sound like a 'mobile vehicles moving into a simulation environment' set up. Sounds a lot more like some sort of variation on Soarin.

If this is a Soarin' variation, then please tell me that the Avatar ride will be nothing like this...

El Grupo

The insiders on here (especially @Tim_4 and @articos) have indicated that the Avatar E-ticket is not anything like Soarin' though it does use screens in some capacity.

And my guess is that Disney (or Lucas and Kennedy) will not settle for another version of Soarin' for a franchise like Star Wars. I suspect the addition of this new land in DHS will be more highly scrutinized and far more anticipated than the addition to AK.

twebber55

And my guess is that Disney (or Lucas and Kennedy) will not settle for another version of Soarin' for a franchise like Star Wars. I suspect the addition of this new land in DHS will be more highly scrutinized and far more anticipated than the addition to AK.
does george still have a say?

RSoxNo1

That project was heavily influenced by the perceived threatening political climate in Anaheim. Disney thought they were in for a fight over the Anaheim Resort District and had to prove to the city that they were committed to investment in the Disneyland Resort. I definitely agree that Buena Vista Street likely would have been axed if they could do it again. This based on all of the reports about how retail managers still cannot figure out why people don't want the generic Disney stuff that is for sale, thus blaming the doors being closed or the "clutter" in the windows.
You also have managers that were getting asked time and time again why guests can't buy the cool versions of the classic novels that were visible in the windows. People see cool items in the windows and then get upset that they can't buy them. Disney' solution was to put generic stuff in the windows.

Once again, there's a reason why The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is moving a ridiculous amount of merchandise, it's because they've created a desirable selection of items. I fear that if Disney had their hands on the Potter franchise, they'd have a handful of t-shirts and maybe a wand for sale.

pheneix

Original Poster
Yeah, I don't think we KNOW that Shanghai is getting a Tron COASTER. All we know is that it is a Tron Lightcycle attraction replacing Space Mountain as Tomorrowland's big thrill ride, and we all assumed it was a coaster.

If Star Wars' new E-ticket is the Lightcycles reskinned, and Jim seems to have so much more detail and back story regarding the ride system, I'm betting he's right. And I'm disappointed.

What he says regarding force moves in Mos Eisley etc, and the full-size walker sounds cool though.

Very quickly here....

TRON Lightcycle ride is a real ride concept with real artwork and real blueprints and real intent to build. It is based off of a Vekoma ride system and actually the ride profile is a Vekoma designed. The ride is also rather short, barely more than a minute in length (it is a launched coaster).

Jumping in front of this and saying "YES I KNOW IT WILL BE BUILT lolz" is just inviting Disney to come in and change their minds, but there are very real TRON and SW Vekoma rides that are being explored.

What Jim Hill is talking about is most certainly different than the ride that has been discussed here. That being said, WDI can have more than one idea at a time.

doctornick

He may not have direct say, but he will definitely have influence. With that said I don't see why they would necessarily have an objection to a screen-based attraction. That seems to be more of a parks fan thing then anything else.

I'm sure he'd have influence on any Star Wars stuff. That said, I don't think he'd have any sort of intrinsic problem with a screen based ride -- he might even prefer being a filmmaker and all -- but I'm sure he'd want a good experience. I don't think he'd sign off on something that is boring given this is his baby. I think the quality of Star Tours 2.0 is a good indication.

cjkeating

Very quickly here....

TRON Lightcycle ride is a real ride concept with real artwork and real blueprints and real intent to build. It is based off of a Vekoma ride system and actually the ride profile is a Vekoma designed. The ride is also rather short, barely more than a minute in length (it is a launched coaster).

Just to clarify, the TRON Lightcycle ride you're referencing is then one for Shanghai (and potentially Star Wars) as opposed to Disneyland?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom