Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

Californian Elitist

What do you not like about it?

Disney can do better. Monsters? Really? Out of all the IPs to put in the area that's thematically challenged, they choose Monsters. A Roger Rabbit theme would have been way better. Or something based on the classic era of Disney. Mike and Sulley to the Rescue is already awkward over there... Now they want to build an entire sub land based on it. Great. Just goes to show creativity is lacking with Disney right now.

NoChesterHester

Disney can do better. Monsters? Really? Out of all the IPs to put in the area that's thematically challenged, they choose Monsters. A Roger Rabbit theme would have been way better. Or something based on the classic era of Disney. Mike and Sulley to the Rescue is already awkward over there... Now they want to build an entire sub land based on it. Great. Just goes to show creativity is lacking with Disney right now.

I'm with you. The entire gag of Monstroplis was that it looked like Brooklyn, except it was inhabited by creepy crawlers instead of hipsters. It really isn't that compelling of an environment.

GLaDOS

I know it is your thing to bash anything Wall St related, even without completely understanding why. But they're not doing it just for Wall St. They're doing it so that they have adequate funds to compete with Disney and Universal as well. In the non-Fantasyland reality, it takes money to compete.

They need way better creative talent before they have a prayer to compete.

When Antarctica is your trump card, you're in trouble.

DocMcHulk

Is this accurate? (click to enlarge)
New DHS.jpg

doctornick

Is this accurate? (click to enlarge)
View attachment 29029

Well, at least the #3 (former Sounds Dangerous theater) as well as possibly the #2 (American Idol Experience) would be part of Star Wars land.

And it's still not clear if the Streets of America (including the Muppets area) will be taken out as part of this expansion, though the general concensus seems to be that those will be removed with the Muppets relocating to somewhere else -- possibly the VOTLM theater. Personally, there seems to be plenty of space with the LMA/Backlot Tour/Soundstage 1 for a sizable Cars/Pixar expansion and plenty of space among the current Echo Lake stuff plus backstage for a Star Wars expansion that I don't see the point of tearing out SoA unless they are going to put in a lot of attractions.

MattM

They need way better creative talent before they have a prayer to compete.

When Antarctica is your trump card, you're in trouble.

That is true. I haven't been on Antarctica yet, so I'm reserving judgement. But it takes money to get better people.

I've walked through the area and it seemed nice. Is the ride that bad?

GLaDOS

I've walked through the area and it seemed nice. Is the ride that bad?

If SeaWorld had tempered expectations instead of hyping it up like the second coming, it probably would be a passable experience.

But it is not an E-ticket ride, and is kind of a mess. It's more Little Mermaid than Mystic Manor.

elchippo

Frankly, I think stuff needs more time to settle to determine if it has the staying power to merit big permanent attractions. Little Mermaid is almost 25 years old and just now got her own ride...it took Bre'r Rabbit even longer than that!

themarchhare

Just had a thought.

I know there's going to be a fair bit of uproar when the Osbourne Lights end at Studios (and hopefully make a move to Disney Springs somehow).

People will still be mad, but they could definitely control it a bit more by having some kind of really special, unique Holiday event. There are a lot of potential ideas here, but one that I do think the GP would like would be a Nightmare Before Christmas Party. Obviously there won't be a HM overlay involved, as it's at a different park, but they could do quite a bit with this concept (even making it an upcharge event - although hopefully not).

My 2¢

themarchhare

Color me also disappointed when I heared Jim Hill's podcast. Is it too much to ask for a Star Wars RIDE? One that moves you from environment to environment and not just another simulator? I love Star Tours, but let's mix it up. And while cute, I'm not interested in the X-wing spinner.

Are you implying an attraction with a lack of screens (a Star Wars dark ride) or do you mean utilizing whatever technology and having a non-stationary ride?

That former would be pretty tough...

britain

Are you implying an attraction with a lack of screens (a Star Wars dark ride) or do you mean utilizing whatever technology and having a non-stationary ride?

That former would be pretty tough...

When I was a kid in the 80's I drew up plans for a speeder bike suspended coaster. It could be a dark ride, but a coaster or some hybrid (like Potter) could be great too.

themarchhare

When I was a kid in the 80's I drew up plans for a speeder bike suspended coaster. It could be a dark ride, but a coaster or some hybrid (like Potter) could be great too.

Fairly certain that's what the new ride is going to be. Not suspended though, but rather, an actual motorbike-coaster.

doctornick

Fairly certain that's what the new ride is going to be. Not suspended though, but rather, an actual motorbike-coaster.

Yeah. I'm not sure what to make of Hill's description, though, other than maybe there will be a hybrid where ou have some simulator elements and some movement. Spider-Man is a great example of a ride that uses screens/simulators but also moves you among show scenes, so it's not impossible to do both (thought the bike coaster that has been talked about wouldn't be conducive to such elements I wouldn't think).

britain

Yeah, I don't think we KNOW that Shanghai is getting a Tron COASTER. All we know is that it is a Tron Lightcycle attraction replacing Space Mountain as Tomorrowland's big thrill ride, and we all assumed it was a coaster.

If Star Wars' new E-ticket is the Lightcycles reskinned, and Jim seems to have so much more detail and back story regarding the ride system, I'm betting he's right. And I'm disappointed.

What he says regarding force moves in Mos Eisley etc, and the full-size walker sounds cool though.

NoChesterHester

Yeah. I'm not sure what to make of Hill's description, though, other than maybe there will be a hybrid where ou have some simulator elements and some movement. Spider-Man is a great example of a ride that uses screens/simulators but also moves you among show scenes, so it's not impossible to do both (thought the bike coaster that has been talked about wouldn't be conducive to such elements I wouldn't think).

I'm hoping it is something no one on this forum has thought of yet. That is the real goal of a groundbreaking attraction - coming up with something we aren't expecting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom