Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is the best way to look at it.

Even if you're a die hard Disney fan who refuses to give Universal a chance (for some reason), you should be rooting for Universal to put pressure on the mouse. Competition is always a good thing.

We win from both sides. I can't understand why some people seem to need to take sides and like one or the other but not both. Refusing to acknowledge that Universal is making great attractions and has top notch parks is just silly. At the same time it makes no sense when you get the "WDW sucks" people who root for Disney to fail. If both companies play their "A" games we as fans will really be the winners.

Kman101

I just want to toss out there (since resorts were brought up) that are the 'value resorts' still value at the price they currently charge? Ridiculously high IMO ...

Funny, people's wages barely (if at all) go up yet prices skyrocket. And the masses still pay. I don't get it. Prices get raised and no one blinks an eye (well, except on the 'net it seems LOL)

MattM

Don't know why my brain forgot about that one. Having said that, I think certain hotel brands would not fit with the moderate and certainly not the value level options. Disney would be wise to keep their name on Pop and such because no chain at a Marriott level would touch it and letting the lower teir names take it would hurt Disney's reputation.

On a different note, I will never understand why SSR was built so big. I can't imagine that ever hitting 100% occupancy, even during the busiest of times.
Are you saying Marriott is a lower-tiered name than Disney?

pheneix

Original Poster
Sometimes the theme park business doesn't know when to quit when it comes to the rumors department. I must caution that the following is a little harder to believe than "Kong returns to USF in 2015" but it does bear mentioning considering all the other discussions we are having about changing trends in Florida tourism.

A lot of intel going around says that Sea World is anxious to sell the Busch Gardens branded parks and accompanying water parks and they are anxious to sell them fast. For my own part I have been trying to follow up on this myself, but I have to say I would be lying if it didn't look like Sea World wasn't "InBev'ing" the parks to prepare them for sale to a new owner. If this message board cared even remotely about what was going on at Sea World and Busch Gardens it would be complaining mightily about budget cuts and a diminishing guest experience and a relatively well meaning but woefully inexperienced management team that is WAY in over their heads.

But we seem to fixate on the big headlines, so SEAS management seems to think they can get a free pass to close Europe in the Air with no notice before July 4 holidays in Williamsburg. Or that Antarctica can go down for three days plus and no one will be online raging about how Sea World's newest ride is a failure. Or that they can butcher their nighttime entertainment offerings across the chain and no one will care.

Sorry guys, the internet isn't nice like that. We notice.

pheneix

Original Poster
And now to separate the speculation from the rumor:

If SEAS really is exploring a selloff of the BG branded parks, they probably see the writing on the wall with respect to Orlando being a "three resort town" and are cashing in their chips elsewhere so they can to double down on their Sea World brand.

That, and Blackstone totally set this IPO up to saddle SEAS with an unmanageable load of debt relative to it's revenues and SEAS needs to raise cash quickly or find themselves in a world of hurt in two years. It's probably also that.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Sometimes the theme park business doesn't know when to quit when it comes to the rumors department. I must caution that the following is a little harder to believe than "Kong returns to USF in 2015" but it does bear mentioning considering all the other discussions we are having about changing trends in Florida tourism.

A lot of intel going around says that Sea World is anxious to sell the Busch Gardens branded parks and accompanying water parks and they are anxious to sell them fast. For my own part I have been trying to follow up on this myself, but I have to say I would be lying if it didn't look like Sea World wasn't "InBev'ing" the parks to prepare them for sale to a new owner. If this message board cared even remotely about what was going on at Sea World and Busch Gardens it would be complaining mightily about budget cuts and a diminishing guest experience and a relatively well meaning but woefully inexperienced management team that is WAY in over their heads.

But we seem to fixate on the big headlines, so SEAS management seems to think they can get a free pass to close Europe in the Air with no notice before July 4 holidays in Williamsburg. Or that Antarctica can go down for three days plus and no one will be online raging about how Sea World's newest ride is a failure. Or that they can butcher their nighttime entertainment offerings across the chain and no one will care.

And now to separate the speculation from the rumor:

If SEAS really is exploring a selloff of the BG branded parks, they probably see the writing on the wall with respect to Orlando being a "three resort town" and are cashing in their chips elsewhere so they can to double down on their Sea World brand.

That, and Blackstone totally set this IPO up to saddle SEAS with an unmanageable load of debt relative to it's revenues and SEAS needs to raise cash quickly or find themselves in a world of hurt in two years. It's probably also that.

This exactly. It has crashed the lone little BGWFan blog that is out there it is hitting on all cylinders with it.

I can confirm the talks of this occurring.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Since you mentioned it, here's my take on the newest Sea World attraction. I was extremely excited to check out Antarctica and I have to say I was a little disappointed. We got to Sea World just after opening and went straight to see the penguins. The wait was already at 60 mins. The queue area was partially shaded with some fans but a lot was in the sun and it was 150 degrees in the blazing FL sun;). The reason the wait was so long that early is the ride kept breaking down. Every time the line would start to move it would stop and the annoying announcement would come on saying the ride was temporarily stopped. When we finally got in it was at least cool, but the beginning movie sequence was just OK. The CMs seemed pretty clueless when loading the groups to the right lines, but that can be expected for a new ride. The ride itself seemed almost pointless. Really cool technology, but strange show. The birds themselves didn't disappoint. I just think they're cool and could probably watch them all day. We got out of the pavillion at 12:15pm so thats really all we did before lunch. Overall, I still thought it was a good add for SW and a great upgrade over the limited penguin exhibit. That's my best attempt at a negative review. I would add some of those angry faces like our old CountryBearFan friend, but I don't know how. I only know this one:) and this one;)

To your point of selling off BG I think the debt point makes a lot of sense. Could be a good way to refocus on the core brand and reduce debt in the process. I just hope BG doesn't suffer. The Williamsburg park may be the most beautiful theme park in the country.

Magenta Panther

I don't think he is closer or further away from accuracy than anyone else is who has shared information about a DHS overhaul. I can't really disagree with anything that he said within these comments though.

Thanks! So... we have one group who says that the DHS expansion will take out Muppets and Mama Melrose etc., and another who says Indiana Jones and Echo Lake will be sacrificed...jeez! I wish we could look forward to getting definite answers at the upcoming D23, but then, we have 2 schools of thought about THAT too... :p

doctornick

I don't think he is closer or further away from accuracy than anyone else is who has shared information about a DHS overhaul. I can't really disagree with anything that he said within these comments though.

I'm thinking it is safe to say that many ideas are out there and that the final designs for any DHS expansion is currently in a state of flux.

pheneix

Original Poster
Thanks! So... we have one group who says that the DHS expansion will take out Muppets and Mama Melrose etc., and another who says Indiana Jones and Echo Lake will be sacrificed...I wish we would could look forward to getting definite answers at the upcoming D23, but then, we have 2 schools of thought about THAT too... :p

That's because the company that we are all talking about: Disney Parks and Resorts, is massively dysfunctional and doesn't really know what the hell it is doing with its Orlando parks at the moment.

They've spent over a year trying to figure out whether or not investing in DHS was worth it after Universal doubled down on its resort with additional expansions besides Diagon Alley. If Universal drops another game changing bomb between now and when Disney commits to overhauling DHS, are they going to take another year to figure out how to react to it?

My gut tells me that what goes into DHS will be different to some degree than what I revealed here and what was revealed to me in detail nearly a month ago. Understand that I was given an opportunity to look at an ongoing project while in progress and still within a "we don't even want to make models of this yet" (well, some of it) phase. But the important tent poles of the development, the Star Wars speeder bike coaster that so many others have revealed plus the indoor Cars ride, I think, will be entertaining guests within five years.

Magenta Panther

That's because the company that we are all talking about: Disney Parks and Resorts, is massively dysfunctional and doesn't really know what the hell it is doing with its Orlando parks at the moment.

They've spent over a year trying to figure out whether or not investing in DHS was worth it after Universal doubled down on its resort with additional expansions besides Diagon Alley. If Universal drops another game changing bomb between now and when Disney commits to overhauling DHS, are they going to take another year to figure out how to react to it?

My gut tells me that what goes into DHS will be different to some degree than what I revealed here and what was revealed to me in detail nearly a month ago. Understand that I was given an opportunity to look at an ongoing project while in progress and still within a "we don't even want to make models of this yet" (well, some of it) phase. But the important tent poles of the development, the Star Wars speeder bike coaster that so many others have revealed plus the indoor Cars ride, I think, will be entertaining guests within five years.

Thanks again! I have to admit that the indoor Cars ride does sound interesting...

the.dreamfinder

I'd rather see them go balls to the wall on a DHS exclusive Monstroplis that doesn't destroy the muppets area than indoor Cars Land.

El Grupo

I'd rather see them go balls to the wall on a DHS exclusive Monstroplis that doesn't destroy the muppets area than indoor Cars Land.

I agree. My apologies for repeating myself and many others, but converting Streets of America and adding the door coaster at the end of the street just seems more appealing. It appears that Disney would still have room for an abbreviated Cars Land (or maybe an well themed Incredibles attraction plus more) with the removal of LMA, associated practice lot, BLT and tram maintenance.

Taking this a step further, I'd like to see TDO fast-track a dark ride for the Studio One building....something that could be opened before the end of a possible year-long 25th anniversary celebration. I understand that 18 - 20 months is tight for Disney. But, using an existing technology and system would help (maybe a suspended ride like Peter Pan's Flight with an Up theme). Just a thought.

HMF

I remember hearing that the DCA Plans were in flux up until the day they were announced and if it were not announced at just the right time we might still have Sunshine Plaza.

the.dreamfinder

O
I agree. My apologies for repeating myself and many others, but converting Streets of America and adding the door coaster at the end of the street just seems more appealing. It appears that Disney would still have room for an abbreviated Cars Land (or maybe an well themed Incredibles attraction plus more) with the removal of LMA, associated practice lot, BLT and tram maintenance.

Taking this a step further, I'd like to see TDO fast-track a dark ride for the Studio One building....something that could be opened before the end of a possible year-long 25th anniversary celebration. I understand that 18 - 20 months is tight for Disney. But, using an existing technology and system would help (maybe a suspended ride like Peter Pan's Flight with an Up theme). Just a thought.
Or maybe the art and MAGIC of Pixar Animation..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom