Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

asianway

Years ago they sold a splash Mountain table fountain/waterfall. I got one, and it was used a lot. Now since a move, it sits in a box in storage. But at one time Disney sold fabulous attraction specific items.
Those were all DL exclusive as I recall-worth quite a good price nowadays too

lazyboy97o

Disneyland's version only had the additional scenes due to miscalculations. They had to build the track the way it ended up because of it. The original design was to be just like what ended up at MK.
Um, no. That is not true. The decision to switch from a walk through to a ride meant that the space dug for the walk through in New Orleans Square would no longer be big enough. Since the New Orleans Square site had long been excavated, the decision was made to utilize what existed and expand the attraction space outside of the berm.

TP2000

I didn't get that either. I think he was trying to say that when Walt Disney and his top Imagineers designed and built Pirates for Disneyland in 1965-66, they actually had in mind the Cliff's Notes version built for Disney World in a panic in 1973. But for some reason they didn't build that one, and instead Walt poured his heart and soul in the last months of his life into the longer, larger and more dramatic version that Disneyland got in early 1967. I think that's what he was trying to say, but not sure how he got there.

Now, if you want to talk about the fact that the entire first Pirates show building was originally dug into the Anaheim bedrock in 1962 to be a wax museum walk-through in the basement of a much smaller New Orleans expansion of Frontierland for 1964, except Imagineering got overwhelmed by early '63 with work for the World's Fair so they put the whole thing on hold, then that's another story.

Disneyland From The Air - Autumn, 1962
Top Center of Photograph - Basement Excavation for Pirates Wax Museum Walk-Through
frightened_aerial1962oca.jpg

But by the time they returned to the Pirates project in late '65 with all the knowledge and technology gained from the World's Fair the idea of a wax museum walk-through seemed woefully inadequate. But that basement they dug out back in '62 was still sitting there, and Walt really wanted to do something with pirates. So instead they morphed the wildly efficient Small World boat ride system with the wildly impressive human animatronics from the Carousel of Progress, and then ladled a lavishly themed land literally on top of this new E Ticket, and the Disneyland audiences were absolutely floored from the first day of operation.

If you want to talk about that pirates chapter in Disneyland history from 1962 to 1967, that would be fine. But if you want to suggest that in 1965-66 that Walt Disney and his top Imagineers actually dreamed of the 8 minute long Cliff's Notes version of Pirates built in a rush and a panic by Card Walker for Magic Kingdom Park in 1973 but Walt had to settle for the 15 minute long Disneyland version he ended up with in '67, then someone else will need to buy the first pitcher of beer because it's going to be a long talk. o_O

And yes, that's the Haunted Mansion under construction on the right of the photo; another attraction planned in '62 to be a walk-through but would be put on hold by the World's Fair and then turn into a lavish E Ticket ride-through using World's Fair ride systems and technology but delayed until 1969. But that's a whole other story.

Cosmic Commando

If you want to talk about that pirates chapter in Disneyland history from 1962 to 1967, that would be fine. But if you want to suggest that in 1965-66 that Walt Disney and his top Imagineers actually dreamed of the 8 minute long Cliff's Notes version of Pirates built in a rush and a panic by Card Walker for Magic Kingdom Park in 1973 but Walt had to settle for the 15 minute long Disneyland version he ended up with in '67, then someone else will need to buy the first pitcher of beer because it's going to be a long talk. o_O

There's a pitcher of beer with your name on it when I come to California in October, but let's just skip over this part of the conversation, shall we? :D

RSoxNo1

If Disney doesn't fix the generic merchandise issue of their parks then it doesn't matter if they add Star Wars or Lord of the Rings or GI Joe... Great experiences mixed with unique merchandise and food equals big profits. Good rides mixed with generic merchandise and good food equals underwhelming return. End of story.
Never have truer words been spoken. Why is Harry Potter so successful in IOA? It's because they created a great land and unique food and merchandise. The Cantina would be a huge step in the right direction as are the unique offerings of Cars Land. Yes, there's a place for homogenized merchandise but you need to have more than just homogenized merchandise to be successful.

bstiles

As someone with 2 small kids I can tell you that when we were there this year my 6 year old had a hard time picking out souvenirs. He kept saying that he could get that at the disney store at home and he wanted something he couldn't get at home.

ToTBellHop

As someone with 2 small kids I can tell you that when we were there this year my 6 year old had a hard time picking out souvenirs. He kept saying that he could get that at the disney store at home and he wanted something he couldn't get at home.
What a reasonable 6-year old! You are lucky.

Cody5242

They'd have to build in phases. I'm guessing LMA and Backlot Tour would close first since Cars Land would take the longest. Indy would probably go next as well as Backlot Express Restaurant while a temporary attractions are put inside the ABC Sound Studio and Premiere Theater. By the time the new attraction built on Indy's land is done as well as the Mos Isley Cantina, they'll open them and close Muppets, Pizza Planet, Mama Melrose and the meet and greets all in that area. That area might be done either slightly before or after Cars Land is finished. The last step is move Jedi Training Acadamy into the ABC Sound Studio. BAM, you have a newly refreshed park!

Hopefully in addition to all of that, GMR will get it's long needed refurb, the BAH will be removed and something Pixar (hopefully the Door Coaster) will be built inside Soundstage 1.
What would be going into the muppets area?

bubbles1812

Never have truer words been spoken. Why is Harry Potter so successful in IOA? It's because they created a great land and unique food and merchandise. The Cantina would be a huge step in the right direction as are the unique offerings of Cars Land. Yes, there's a place for homogenized merchandise but you need to have more than just homogenized merchandise to be successful.
The Cantina done right would be a great addition. But that's the kicker... It has to be done right. I would expect them to create AAs or at least a screen type thing (though that would be much lamer) with the band present. Otherwise, it's just another generic food place at Disney World. So now the real question is are the willing to spend the money? Or are they just going to slap the word Cantina on something and truss it up with some Star Wars stuff on the walls?

Beholder

I may have missed something, but IF the Muppets are removed, will the Muppets lose their park presence? If so, that would be a loss (IMO) of significant proportions. Jim Henson was a great innovator and storyteller with heart, and seeing his "children" removed from what for most people is the only exposure they have, is terrible. This is all my opinion, and I understand that The Muppets may not be "current" or moving the merchandise like they'd like, but to me, they are part of the fabric of MGM/DHS, they provide a bit cynicism that's unique for a Disney property.

But like I said, I may be missing something entirely. If so, I apologize.

Beholder

The Cantina done right would be a great addition. But that's the kicker... It has to be done right. I would expect them to create AAs or at least a screen type thing (though that would be much lamer) with the band present. Otherwise, it's just another generic food place at Disney World. So now the real question is are the willing to spend the money? Or are they just going to slap the word Cantina on something and truss it up with some Star Wars stuff on the walls?

My fear exactly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom