Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

Beholder

Star Wars source material is too vast and full of attraction scenarios for TDO/Disney to build something underwhelming. If any franchise begs for theme park presence, it's SW. To not do justice to this universe would be a hugely missed opportunity. Also, building anything SW is going to put Disney under an even bigger microscope. The result will be scrutinized like nothing else except maybe HP. This will be a time for TDO to shine or once again be seen as going cheap and selling the fans short. At least that's how I'm thinking.

NoChesterHester

Star Wars source material is too vast and full of attraction scenarios for TDO/Disney to build something underwhelming. If any franchise begs for theme park presence, it's SW. To not do justice to this universe would be a hugely missed opportunity. Also, building anything SW is going to put Disney under an even bigger microscope. The result will be scrutinized like nothing else except maybe HP. This will be a time for TDO to shine or once again be seen as going cheap and selling the fans short. At least that's how I'm thinking.

You are right on the money and they have to know this. Think Disney fans complain? Try Star Wars nuts. They are unforgiving.

http://m.comedycentral.com/videos/v...m.comedycentral.com/videos/index.rbml&cid=300

Goofyernmost

So, not really any facts, but another (presumably reputable) media source talking about DHS expansion: Orlando Business Journal. Personally, I don't see how "north of $200M" and "will dwarf any other Disney-related expansion in its recent history" fit together. Anyway, I am dying to know what the plans end up being. D23 cannot come soon enough.
So true...heck $200M won't even buy a Cinnamon Roll at the Main Street Bakery. :cool: Oops! I might have hit a tender spot there...a thousand pardons!:oops:

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
So true...heck $200M won't even buy a Cinnamon Roll at the Main Street Bakery. :cool: Oops! I might have hit a tender spot there...a thousand pardons!:oops:
For half of that, I will meet you out front of the bakery every day with a superior Cinnabon and any Starbuck's concoction you want, every day for the next 10 years.

FlaMel

Really doubt that StarWarsland is coming to DHS, why build an expensive parking structure when StarWarsland could be fleshed out more easily in a fifth gate by the TTC, which has room for parking lot expansion?

There has been a spat of crazy rumors, saying Star Wars, then Carsland, then a Monster Inc. coaster at DHS . . . do the guys who make this stuff up even have a clue about DHS's land/logistical issues? Apparently not!

Maybe somebody will start a rumor that Ratatouille is coming to Epcot, followed by a StarWarsland and a Carsland behind the American Pavilion.

The key word here is demolition. There is so much land to be found within the current DHS footprint that a Carsland sized addition and a Star Wars Land could be added.

bubbles1812

So, not really any facts, but another (presumably reputable) media source talking about DHS expansion: Orlando Business Journal. Personally, I don't see how "north of $200M" and "will dwarf any other Disney-related expansion in its recent history" fit together. Anyway, I am dying to know what the plans end up being. D23 cannot come soon enough.
Well north of 200 million could buy you a nice Harry Potter expans... Oh wait, we are talking about Disney. So yeah, no, "an expansion that will dwarf any in recent history" with Disney using that money... The idea is just kind of laughable. How much did Mermaid and its pretty pretty queue cost again? Unless that figure is waaaaay north of 200 million (which I doubt they meant), that certainly won't buy you Carslands, a Star Wars expansion, and a Monsters Inc Coaster. That maybe buys you RSR, a QS place, and that all important merch shop, if that.

toasty

I'll go ahead and brace myself for the barrage of comments about how much this, that or the other thing that Disney has done recently sucks, but from my standpoint, I don't understand the cynicism about Disney not doing a Star Wars Land "right" at all. The most recent (and still ongoing) addition to the parks, FLE, may not have hit on all cylinders with me personally, but my DD4 -- a/k/a the obvious target demographic for the parts that have been unveiled so far -- is absolutely agog at what they've done over there. Also, Be Our Guest is a dramatic upgrade over any other TS dining option in MK, and the theming there is extremely well-done.

I've not been to Cars Land at DCA, but all accounts I've heard are that it turned out great as well.

With a Star Wars Land, the target demographic is clearly going to be older than the target demo for FLE or even Cars Land. In my mind, that raises the bar in terms of what the expectations are going to be because it has to cater to a more sophisticated audience, and I think Disney knows this. When I think about all of Disney's recent additions that are more adult-focused, I've been really pleased. I suspect that with that proper focus in mind, they'll deliver.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom