Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

NewfieFan

Don't get me wrong, I started out by saying this:

Im not saying Disney doesn't care about losing guests to Universal, they clearly do. From a business prospective they want every dime of the guest spending in their pockets. My opinion is the new potential expansions and FLE are more about retaining current guests and keeping their parks on top while increasing what guests spend in those parks instead of reacting to a crisis over lost guests who are now visiting Universal instead of Disney.

I know you stated that but your point (if I'm reading correctly) was that it's not enough (or significant enough) to influence Disney to react. And I believe it is. The amount being lost by day guests who take a day or 2 (or maybe even more) to visit Uni is enough to make the bean counters sit up straight and pick up the phone and call Imagineering. "Dust the blue prints off boys!"

It was always stated that "A rising tide raises every boat" and it's true. Sure there are people that are brought in by Uni and then say hey, "Disney is up the road, let's check it out!" BUT we have a new problem now. For a long time people who came to the Orlando area spent a majority of their time at WDW (whether staying on Disney property or not). There's more and more to see in Orlando and other attractions and parks are becoming more attractive. Tourists aren't taking longer vacations, so days are being dispersed as a family sees fit. Disney is losing tourists vacation days that it once had the lion share of (if not all). The question is, is the number of people that Uni brings in (that also visit WDW) greater than the number of people that once spent all their time (or most of it) at Disney but are now taking days to do other Orlando attractions (ie. Uni)? I personally don't think so.

And I love Disney as much as the next person here. I snort pixie dust at least twice a year (sometimes more). I would love to believe that this is the next step for WDW and they're wanting to upgrade and add to DHS. Unfortunately, I believe Disney has become reactionary and this is indeed a response to the people getting in their rental cars, shuttles, or taxis and going up the road to Uni.

Pixiedustmaker

I still can't comprehend the elimination of the Osbourne Lights. They play an integral part in bringing in multiple demographics that would not otherwise spend a dime in HS. The attendance of those individuals will not be swayed by Carsland or a Star Wars land.

Osbourne Lights are a great tradition at DHS, and you are correct that they do bring in additional guests to DHS that probably wouldn't visit. I doubt this annual display is going anywhere.

There's been a lot of posts/articles that somehow a "consensus" is building among fans that DHS will go under the knife and get surgery that even DCA hasn't gotten. Carsland was built on a parking lot at DCA, if it comes to DHS (doubtful), it will be built on undeveloped land, such as the parking lot . . . though they will need to build a parking garage. I seriously doubt anybody at Burbank would consider demolish parts of DHS considering the park is making money, gets 10 million a year, has special offerings, and doing so would do nothing to deal with guest capacity issues at the resort.

bhg469

I know you stated that but your point (if I'm reading correctly) was that it's not enough (or significant enough) to influence Disney to react. And I believe it is. The amount being lost by day guests who take a day or 2 (or maybe even more) to visit Uni is enough to make the bean counters sit up straight and pick up the phone and call Imagineering. "Dust the blue prints off boys!"

It was always stated that "A rising tide raises every boat" and it's true. Sure there are people that are brought in by Uni and then say hey, "Disney is up the road, let's check it out!" BUT we have a new problem now. For a long time people who came to the Orlando area spent a majority of their time at WDW (whether staying on Disney property or not). There's more and more to see in Orlando and other attractions and parks are becoming more attractive. Tourists aren't taking longer vacations, so days are being dispersed as a family sees fit. Disney is losing tourists vacation days that it once had the lion share of (if not all). The question is, is the number of people that Uni brings in (that also visit WDW) greater than the number of people that once spent all their time (or most of it) at Disney but are now taking days to do other Orlando attractions (ie. Uni)? I personally don't think so.

And I love Disney as much as the next person here. I snort pixie dust at least twice a year (sometimes more). I would love to believe that this is the next step for WDW and they're wanting to upgrade and add to DHS. Unfortunately, I believe Disney has become reactionary and this is indeed a response to the people getting in their rental cars, shuttles, or taxis and going up the road to Uni.

I agree with this and with the new universal value type resort coming , I can see myself staying there and driving to wdw rather than the other way around. Then again I haven't been to universal in about 15 years.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Star Wars isn't exactly unpopular now, but it is due for a huge resurgence in the next few years. Aside form the new movies, video games, and cartoons being released in the next few years, you also have to consider the parent factor. The kids who were obsessed with the original trilogy back in the 70's-80's are now in their 30's and 40's and having kids.

My 9 year old is learning to play the imperial March on the piano. My 3 year old watches A New Hope 2-3 times a month and sleeps with a Yoda stuffed animal. As I type, my kids are having an AT-AT attack the Ewok village behind me. All my nephews and my friends' kids love star wars, have star wars toys, and watch clone wars. Is this anecdotal? Yes. But I think some people forget just how popular this franchise was 30 years ago. The popularity of Harry Potter at its peak wasn't a tenth of Star Wars Mania circa 1980. And our kids are primed for the next wave. Disney couldn't be doing this at a better time honestly. If they commit this to the theme parks now, they should have it available as the popularity peaks again, as opposed to Harry Potter at Universal which opened after the Potter Peak.
Guilty as charged. My kids (6 and 3) are having a light saber fight while I type this. :).

BryceM

I still think the name works just fine. A park with a San Francisco street, Springfield, and soon London can still call itself a studio without issue. I think a park combining the lands you mentioned can do the same.
Yes, but Disney's Hollywood Studios implies that the park is celebrating all aspects of Hollywood, from the historic streets to movie production. With the movie production aspect missing, it just seems like Disney's 1/2 of Hollywood Studios.

pheneix

Original Poster
Thank you, Park Hopper MYW Ticket. Remove hopper from the equation and I fear how low the number would be.

It already is a far lower number. When I worked directly for a data analysis team at [name redacted] the park was pulling down 7 million a year and that was immediately after Expedition Everest opened and "recalibrated" WDW's annual visitation. Prior to this, DHS did pull down higher attendance and this is what the good people at TEA still believe.

SherlockWayne

Yes, but Disney's Hollywood Studios implies that the park is celebrating all aspects of Hollywood, from the historic streets to movie production. With the movie production aspect missing, it just seems like Disney's 1/2 of Hollywood Studios.
I think as long as the Great Movie Ride exists, there's still always a tangible connection to movie production. Hollywood is more than just a location, it's an idea. Movies made in Vancouver are still thought of as "Hollywood". Disney Studios Florida probably makes slightly more sense, but that's a sure fire way to confuse Guests even more than they already are.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Yep. My opinion is that any build out of DHS is an attempt by Disney to keep current guests happy and increase the amount they spend in the parks. In my opinion what it is not is a knee jerk reaction to Universal success. Lots of people on these boards had the sky is falling mentality and even predicted that IOA would pass AK or DHS in attendance this year. It just didn't happen. If they really were suffering they would be fast tracking a build out ASAP to stop the bleeding.

Pixiedustmaker

Disney is losing tourists vacation days that it once had the lion share of (if not all). The question is, is the number of people that Uni brings in (that also visit WDW) greater than the number of people that once spent all their time (or most of it) at Disney but are now taking days to do other Orlando attractions (ie. Uni)? I personally don't think so.

The bottom line is that attendance at WDW is up. I don't agree with how New Fantasyland was designed, think Mermaid should have been an original anchor attraction, but I give Disney credit where credit is due and clearly attendance is up, and continues to creep upwards.

Yes, WDW was once the only game in town, but then Sea World, Uni came to Orlando. Guess what? Other theme park builders are looking at Shanghai *because* Disney is coming there and they want to smooch off guests. In the end, guests win: I can visit Potterland one day, and Epcot the next.

I would love to believe that this is the next step for WDW and they're wanting to upgrade and add to DHS. Unfortunately, I believe Disney has become reactionary and this is indeed a response to the people getting in their rental cars, shuttles, or taxis and going up the road to Uni.

Disney is building Shanghai Disneyland, both creatively a different castle park, and expanding into China. Who cares if attendance at WDW drops 1 million ten years from now if Shanghai is getting 16 million guests a year? From the shareholder perspective, Disney is going where the growth is.

Sure, fans want their favorite Disney parks to receive continuous upgrades . . . but this discussion of unprecedented removal and replacement of attractions at DHS is kinda a pipe dream. Decades past fans just looked at what would be added, i.e. Matterhorn in Epcot, Indy in MK? People got confused thinking that DCA had stuff removed for Carsland . . . didn't happen.

G00fyDad

Umm if Star Tours at DHS has become basically a walk-on, why would they want to add more Star Wars content to the park? Personally everyone in the teen/young adult generation thinks of Star Wars as being cheesy and definitely not as popular as Harry Potter. I know many Disney fans are also Star Wars fans and would love the addition but in reality is there really such a strong demand today?

LOLOLOL That, sir, is the funniest thing I have heard all day!! Thanks. I needed a good laugh.

Pixiedustmaker

Comedic post of the year! Give the award out now.

Not really. WDW has about 1% attendance growth annually, that maybe 5 million guests added in a decade . . . they have to go somewhere. If you are budgeting for a fifth gate, then pack the four parks with guests (maybe make them pay just to skip long lines to ride their favorite attractions), make tons of $$, and then when you open the fifth gate (or maybe two new lands), the pressure valve is released. Seems like some people have forgotten their basic algebra and what 1% growth a year means, though I hear that last year growth was closer to 2%.

NewfieFan

Yep. My opinion is that any build out of DHS is an attempt by Disney to keep current guests happy and increase the amount they spend in the parks. In my opinion what it is not is a knee jerk reaction to Universal success. Lots of people on these boards had the sky is falling mentality and even predicted that IOA would pass AK or DHS in attendance this year. It just didn't happen. If they really were suffering they would be fast tracking a build out ASAP to stop the bleeding.

I hope you're right... but I think this is the "fast tracking a build out ASAP to stop the bleeding". Whether it's "fast" or "enough to stop the bleeding", well, that's another discussion.

I never once was in the camp that the sky was falling and DHS and/or AK would have tumbleweeds blowing through the place. But Disney is about making more, not less. I think the hit has been enough for them to take notice. Disney wants it all and good for them, they need to strive to do that and be that in Orlando. But it's going to take more than a FL expansion...

Pixiedustmaker

I hope you're right... but I think this is the "fast tracking a build out ASAP to stop the bleeding". Whether it's "fast" or "enough to stop the bleeding", well, that's another discussion.

I never once was in the camp that the sky was falling and DHS and/or AK would have tumbleweeds blowing through the place. But Disney is about making more, not less. I think the hit has been enough for them to take notice. Disney wants it all and good for them, they need to strive to do that and be that in Orlando. But it's going to take more than a FL expansion...

Attendance up 2% at WDW, a new hotel opened recently . . . if this is what "bleeding" is then I'd like to see what a success looks like!

G00fyDad

You do realize there are 6 star wars movies with more on the way - so far 5 new movies are in the works. Tons of Star Wars Books, there was a popular Clone Wars Cartoon with a new Star wars cartoon on the way, many video games etc.

SW has and advantage over HP right now as there is NEW SW product coming out. HP has no new stories/movies coming anytime soon if ever. Staying power is needed over generations SWs had been around since 1977 people still love it. I hope that HP will continue to be popular 40 years from now but you really need new product to keep growing the fandom in a significant way.

But HP is not popular right now. Or at least, not as popular as it once was. I am a big HP fan and I even hear the "meh" when I talk about HP to people anymore. When I mention Star Wars then I get a mix of "meh", "Cool!", and "Oh, I heard Disney is doing something with that. That ought to be really neat." In the long run, HP will be as stale as the Vampire Chronicles. Sure, it will have a small following, but nothing that could even stand in the same light as SW with the number of fans each will have.

NewfieFan

Attendance up 2% at WDW, a new hotel opened recently . . . if this is what "bleeding" is then I'd like to see what a success looks like!

I didn't say Disney was bleeding across the board... but it may be in an area that concerns the bean counters and is enough to warrant a trip to ER.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom