Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

Pixiedustmaker

The snapshot of what is planned for DHS, when I saw it (I heavily caution that there are large gaps in my knowledge and I will point out where when needed), was very much focused on re-using existing infrastructure whenever possible. Kitchens, restrooms, in one case entire dining rooms are all to be preserved while other major work goes on around them. This is a page borrowed from Universal's playbook and it will save them a lot of money.

The idea of re-using existing infrastructure isn't unique to Universal. DCA 2.0 heavily re-used existing infrastructure: BVS was built on the bones of Sunshine Plaza, and Carsland was built on parking lot (hence nothing was torn down.)

I think the naive fan to DCA might figure that a crummy section of DCA was removed and Carsland was put in its place, but fans familiar with the layout of this park know this not to be the case. Paradise Pier, in all its grimmy glory, is still there.

Yes, Backlot ain't what it used to be, but you can beat your bottom dollar that WDI has folders of plans for re-invigorating this attraction, perhaps by turning it into something entirely new, without completely demolishing it.

WDWDad13

I'm fully on board with Star Wars Land, provided the finished product matches the conceptual potential that a property like that carries.

I'm less on board with Carsland, I'm not against it but I would prefer a 'Pixar Studios' land that incorporated more of the studio's films rather than one that is based primarily on Cars. There is huge theme park potential in films like The Incredibles and Monsters, Inc. that have no real presence at WDW and such an overhaul at DHS would be an ideal opportunity to bring those films into the fold and expand improve the current Pixar Place.

Ya know the Great Snoozy Ride could be cool with complete Pixar, Disney, and Muppets themes. They could even use the last scene or a set to promote the current film.

Think of what all they could do here plus kids would enjoy it more as today's GMR is not much for the younger generation at all

ChevisMickey

I love the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, however I have longed for an Indy ride (and not the Motor Speedway Indy), which would be much more adventurous than the show. I would not decry the Disney gods if they made a switch, but eliminating Dr. Jones completely!?

The Sci-fi restaurant is ok to me, however I do not see them eliminating it without a major $$ or $$$ replacement. Also, the shared restrooms with ABC would lead me to believe that it would be both or none. If they are making a new land, then Disney likes to have some kind of separation so you feel like you are making the transition, and I do not see where a restaurant would do this. Expanding and hopefully tweaking the ABC would work if they ARE planning a new $$ or $$$ restaurant with the additions/changes.

pheneix

Original Poster
Fun discussions going on. Nothing substantial to add, other than the attraction and restaurant EOL list is something I can stand by with far more certainty that the content and number of additions to Star Wars Land. I think there is high potential for this area to over-deliver compared to what rumor mill is spreading. The Cars side of his equation, not so much.

Pixiedustmaker

So, now faced with the upcoming reality that Universal was going to completely put Disney's own movie studio park out of business, with a helping assist from New Fantasyland dramatically adding to MK's visitation and guest spending...

DHS has its own personality, and it rakes in about 10 million guests a year, that's more than IOA and Uni Orlando! I think you want to see DHS fail so that it needs to be "fixed". Well, some popular offerings have been added to DHS in the past and they seemed to have helped it maintain its attendance issues. WDW is bursting at the seams with guests . . .

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
1. Harry Potter
2. Star Wars
2.LOTR

overall Harry won and it really wasnt that close although boys were strong with star wars

That makes sense the kids would have been the perfect age for all the Potter years. I'm sure the list will change when the kids today grow up with new SWs movies in 13 years the list will be different.

SherlockWayne

Hollywood Studios is a park in need of an identity. The problem I foresee is that everyone is clamoring for that park to take on Universal's identity, and I don't understand how that would help the situation. Universal has access to cherished properties that Disney never will. The strongest properties that Disney has are well represented, with the exception of Marvel (which is beyond reach at this point) and the Lucas properties. The trouble I see is that I picture those properties as being an "and" to Potter, not an "or". Everyone is clamoring for a Potter swatter, but the only thing that I see having that role is time. Building a Cars Land or a Star Wars land may convince someone to come to DHS, but to someone who loves Harry Potter, I don't see it making a difference. I love Star Wars, I love Star Trek, and I even love the Potter franchise. If three parks had these franchises, I wouldn't be making decisions as to which I wanted to go to, I'd be finding a way to go to all three. I see a parallel in movies. I'm not going to skip Man of Steel, just because Disney puts out Iron Man 3. Putting out a massive franchise to compete with another massive franchise across town, to me, seems like putting those two movies out on the same weekend, hoping that audiences will choose one or the other. In the end, both studios would lose. To me, competition with Universal doesn't seem to be the answer, if anything, Disney needs to focus on competition between their own parks. I don't think there's anything Disney could build that would convince someone who has grown up with the Potter books and movies not to visit the Wizarding World and Diagon Alley.

DHS needs help to make it a full, or even two, day park where Guests want to spend money. One of the brilliant aspects of Potter is that one of the things Guests are most excited about is the opportunity to spend their money. Universal's Guests know exactly what they want: Butterbeer and wands. This is what Disney needs to learn. A knockoff Butterbeer in a generic plastic mug isn't going to cut it. A specialty drink in a specialty mug from the Mos Eisley Cantina would. Higher quality custom lightsabers, created through an interactive crafting experience would as well. The item itself is inconsequential compared to where it came from and the memories it's associated to, this is the very nature of souvenirs.

Any project DHS takes on needs to focus solely on the goal of actually giving Guests the desire to spend their time and money at the park, and leave them with the desire to return. It's pretty basic, but not simple.

Pixiedustmaker

But I still don't see the need for people to refer to DHS as a failure, considering its still an extremely busy theme park. DCA wasn't a failure, but it seriously needed something to bring in more people, and it got it. DHS, if it was truly considered a failure from corporate, would have been fixed by now.

DHS attendance is up about 2%, it has a lot of very popular draws, and should attendance dip over the next ten year then Burbank might put in another ride, that's the park's history. DHS has a lot more going for it than DCA 1.0 had, but it also has logistical issues, especially with increased attendance.

But WDW has, overall guest capacity issues: not enough rides, not enough park restaurant capacity during certain times, not enough lands to soak up the flood of guests which increases every year, in the end this will mean a new land at one of the four parks, or a fifth park. In the case of a fifth park, attendance would probably be 6-7 million the first year, and a loss of perhaps 2 million in total at the other four parks . . . given that Disney is operating the four parks it has above capacity (IMO based on attraction wait times and other issues), it seems like they are setting things up for a fifth gate to relieve the stress in half a decade or so.

BryceM

I can't think of name for this park that still has Hollywood and Sunset Boulevard, a detailed Cars Land and Star Wars Land, Pixar Place and Animation Courtyard. Cars Land works well in Disney California Adventure because Route 66 is a historic part of California (and other states).

Gomer

Star Wars isn't exactly unpopular now, but it is due for a huge resurgence in the next few years. Aside form the new movies, video games, and cartoons being released in the next few years, you also have to consider the parent factor. The kids who were obsessed with the original trilogy back in the 70's-80's are now in their 30's and 40's and having kids.

My 9 year old is learning to play the imperial March on the piano. My 3 year old watches A New Hope 2-3 times a month and sleeps with a Yoda stuffed animal. As I type, my kids are having an AT-AT attack the Ewok village behind me. All my nephews and my friends' kids love star wars, have star wars toys, and watch clone wars. Is this anecdotal? Yes. But I think some people forget just how popular this franchise was 30 years ago. The popularity of Harry Potter at its peak wasn't a tenth of Star Wars Mania circa 1980. And our kids are primed for the next wave. Disney couldn't be doing this at a better time honestly. If they commit this to the theme parks now, they should have it available as the popularity peaks again, as opposed to Harry Potter at Universal which opened after the Potter Peak.

SherlockWayne

I can't think of name for this park that still has Hollywood and Sunset Boulevard, a detailed Cars Land and Star Wars Land, Pixar Place and Animation Courtyard. Cars Land works well in Disney California Adventure because Route 66 is a historic part of California (and other states).

I still think the name works just fine. A park with a San Francisco street, Springfield, and soon London can still call itself a studio without issue. I think a park combining the lands you mentioned can do the same.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom