Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

Magenta Panther

If my kid has more thrills and fun at Uni, I'm gonna go there, no matter how much I love Disney.

And oddly, that might be the best thing FOR Disney. If enough people like you - people who love Disney - start going elsewhere for family vacations, maybe Disney will finally wise up and start remembering who they are (to borrow a phrase from The Lion King): that they're part of a company with a legacy of innovation and top-drawer quality, and if those things aren't implemented with their new products, then consumers (and especially park guests) will go elsewhere. Disney isn't the only game in town anymore. It makes you wonder how long it'll take before that lesson really sinks in.

Although if things get TOO competitive, Iger will probably just sell the parks and pocket the cash. God I can't stand that guy...

WDW95

Umm if Star Tours at DHS has become basically a walk-on, why would they want to add more Star Wars content to the park? Personally everyone in the teen/young adult generation thinks of Star Wars as being cheesy and definitely not as popular as Harry Potter. I know many Disney fans are also Star Wars fans and would love the addition but in reality is there really such a strong demand today?

ThemeParks4Life

Umm if Star Tours at DHS has become basically a walk-on, why would they want to add more Star Wars content to the park? Personally everyone in the teen/young adult generation thinks of Star Wars as being cheesy and definitely not as popular as Harry Potter. I know many Disney fans are also Star Wars fans and would love the addition but in reality is there really such a strong demand today?
Star Tours is a walk on due to it's high capacity, and what's this about Teens/Young Adults not liking SW?

Mister Boo

There remains a huge demand for Star Wars. The crummy prequels dimmed its legacy, sure, but not by that much.

And its across [almost] all generations. I don't know about the youngest of the young---but that's what the new sequels are for.

DsnyFevr

So, now faced with the upcoming reality that Universal was going to completely put Disney's own movie studio park out of business, with a helping assist from New Fantasyland dramatically adding to MK's visitation and guest spending... at the expense of Disney's other parks, the decision was made to do something about the weak link. This was about the same time that Avatar was finally taken seriously by WDPR and given the financial commitments it needed to become a legitimate world class product.

It is important to note that the upcoming improvements to Hollywood Studios are NOT on the magnitude of the work done at DCA or even on the magnitude of Pandora. This is a collection of value engineered improvements, mostly cherry picked from an upcoming project for Disneyland Paris that was already value engineered to death because of that resort's own financial difficulties. The snapshot of what is planned for DHS, when I saw it (I heavily caution that there are large gaps in my knowledge and I will point out where when needed), was very much focused on re-using existing infrastructure whenever possible. Kitchens, restrooms, in one case entire dining rooms are all to be preserved while other major work goes on around them. This is a page borrowed from Universal's playbook and it will save them a lot of money. Disney will still find ways to it away elsewhere, but hey, they're learning!

The list of attractions slated to close as part of this overhaul should not surprise anyone. They are also going to be very cheap to demolish and in one case reuse for a new attraction. At the time I received a snapshot of this project, this list included:

Muppetvision
Backlot Tour
LMA
Indy Stunt Show
Honey Playground

There are also some dining locations that will cease to operate in their current form and will be reused in the new development. This list includes:

Backlot Express
Sci Fi Dine In
Mama Melroses

You can use your own heads to figure out which retail locations are going to bite the dust.
Is this truth or speculation?

Jimmy Thick

Personally, I find it hard to believe any of this.

To say DHS, is a ghost town after 5pm is far from accurate, if that's the case IoA with the exception of the Potter area can be considered a ghost town as well. Towards the end of the night, even Potter is a walk on. Toy Story is almost never a walk on.

Apples and oranges.

But I still don't see the need for people to refer to DHS as a failure, considering its still an extremely busy theme park. DCA wasn't a failure, but it seriously needed something to bring in more people, and it got it. DHS, if it was truly considered a failure from corporate, would have been fixed by now. WDW is the crown jewel of the company, to think they would let anything considered a public failure, and when I say public that's everyone, not the handful that posts on Disney related forums, Disney would have fixed the problem a lot long ago.

They haven't, guess what...

I think people want to compare DHS to MK, and that's really unfair. No other park in the world is MK, and none will ever be. DHS can be a full day park, it can also be a half day park, it depends on the person and in my opinion, if you spent the money, why would you force yourself to rush through it? Same goes for Universal. If you wanted, you can knock out both parks at Universal in one day, but you would be foolish if you did.

If DHS really is getting a make over, sadly, I'll believe it when Disney announces it, it just don't pay to get worked up over nothing.

Jimmy Thick- Like totally man...

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward

Have you seen the crowds that pour in for Star Wars Weekends? Star War is still popular the problem is that DHS has so few attractions people can do everything they want to in half a day and leave hence the walk on rides in the evenings.

Mister Boo

I wouldn't doubt the power of the IP. A fully realized Star Wars land is the closest thing TDO is ever going to find to a true Potter swatter, other than waiting a decade for the Potter lands to get old (which I'm sure Disney considers a very appealing plan!).

Having said that, although "Fully realized" is a vague term, I expect Disney to come up well short of it.

FrankLapidus

o_O

There is a strong demand for Star Wars and given that the opening of a Star Wars Land would coincide with the release of a new trilogy and other stand-alone films in the saga, I would expect that demand to only increase in the coming years.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

According to touringplans on the busiest days the max wait time is 27 to 50 minutes. At less busy times the max wait rarely gets above 30mins. I think the original poster was talking about Star Tours being a walk on in the evenings because people have done all there is to do and have left DHS for the day. Adding more content will keep people there longer.

Your point about Potter vs Star Wars seems more like personal opinion rather than a fact. Go to ToysRUs and see how many more Star Wars and Cars things there are. Plus this should open around the time the first of a series of new movies comes out. The franchise popularity will be at peak levels. If you are still unsure of the appeal of Star Wars look at the hype this rumor has generated. Tells you everything you need to know.

WDW95

All I'm saying is that in high school a couple of years back our English teacher showed a group of 17 and 18 year olds Star Wars, many of us for the first time in our lives, and pretty much everyone but one or two students thought it was a cheesy movie and really showed no interest in watching it.

On the other hand when Wizarding World opened at IOA, everyone was dying to go there. They read the books, watched the movies, and Harry Potter has become the new Star Wars for my generation.

Not to say that Disney can't revive the Star Wars franchise with the new movies but as it stands, from my perspective, Star Wars seems like an older franchise that will loose its power quickly.

Also on a side note, I thought many of us hate the idea of one-franchised themed lands? Isn't one Star Wars ride enough? Why can't Disney go back to the old days when they created great attractions that didn't rely upon one film for such a major investment.

Mister Boo

All I'm saying is that in high school a couple of years back our English teacher showed a group of 17 and 18 year olds Star Wars, many of us for the first time in our lives, and pretty much everyone but one or two students thought it was a cheesy movie and really showed no interest in watching it.

On the other hand when Wizarding World opened at IOA, everyone was dying to go there. They read the books, watched the movies, and Harry Potter has become the new Star Wars for my generation.

Not to say that Disney can't revive the Star Wars franchise with the new movies but as it stands, from my perspective, Star Wars seems like an older franchise that will loose its power quickly.

Also on a side note, I thought many of us hate the idea of one-franchised themed lands? Isn't one Star Wars ride enough? Why can't Disney go back to the old days when they created great attractions that didn't rely upon one film for such a major investment.

Because:

nothing < one franchise themed land < great attractions that didn't rely upon one film for such a major investment

There's no hope of getting the last one and ALL we've been getting is the first one. Something is better than nothing. And Star Wars is a smart, attractive choice if they're gonna go the one land IP route.

Although honestly a land themed entirely after Lady and The Tramp 4: Tramp's Basement Adventure (is that a thing? If not, surely soon) would be an oasis after the last 8 or so years in Orlando. Bring it.

ChevisMickey

Isn't WWoHP a one-franchised themed land?

Original ideas, creative rides, etc. kind of goes against part of the meaning of this thread. Merchandising means more money!

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward

You do realize there are 6 star wars movies with more on the way - so far 5 new movies are in the works. Tons of Star Wars Books, there was a popular Clone Wars Cartoon with a new Star wars cartoon on the way, many video games etc.

SW has and advantage over HP right now as there is NEW SW product coming out. HP has no new stories/movies coming anytime soon if ever. Staying power is needed over generations SWs had been around since 1977 people still love it. I hope that HP will continue to be popular 40 years from now but you really need new product to keep growing the fandom in a significant way.

doctornick

There remains a huge demand for Star Wars. The crummy prequels dimmed its legacy, sure, but not by that much.

And its across [almost] all generations. I don't know about the youngest of the young---but that's what the new sequels are for.

The Clone Wars cartoon introduced many younger children to Star Wars. My five year old loves Ashoka and battle droids and barely knows who Princess Leia is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom