Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

Pixiedustmaker

Ah some fact has been separated from the myth after all. Thank you the clarification.

I can tell you that in the context of everything else I had presented to me, Muppets were mentioned rather flippantly as something that could be done away with in favor of Star Wars because SW IP will ring up dramatically higher merch sales than Muppet IP. Especially with Disney seemingly placing an emphasis on recreating actual environments from SW rather than the attractions themselves. If it becomes an either/or proposition regarding keeping existing park real estate vs. expanding outward, Muppets are getting an eviction notice from their current home.

Tho I will concede that after hearing what this proposed "Star Wars" e-ticket is allegedly going to be, that either/or proposition doesn't seem to be a problem.

99% of the Star Wars merchandise that will be sold by Disney will be sold off-property, in stores around the world. Sort of like how Cars is on everything.

Muppets serves an integral purpose in DHS, it is a family attraction that little kids can enjoy. Seriously doubt that Muppets is going anywhere, especially since Disney is working on a sequel to the last Muppets film which was very good.

I seriously doubt that Disney would recreate a Star Wars world in a land and not put in attractions, or even worthy attractions.

Sounds like whoever gave you these rumors is an armchair imagineer who just sat down and is deciding what will be taken out in a fictional DHS super project.

pheneix

Original Poster
99% of the Star Wars merchandise that will be sold by Disney will be sold off-property, in stores around the world. Sort of like how Cars is on everything.

Dude, you don't know what Disney is about to do to this park, or the Star Wars IP in general. The merchandise opportunities Disney will be creating with this expansion are not gonna be available at your local Wal-Mart. And they are a hell of a lot more exciting than trying to peddle the same Muppet merchandise that Disney has been selling for close to 20 years in the back corner of a badly attended Studio park.

If the Muppets end up staying in DHS, hooray. I like having an empty air conditioned theater to sleep in whenever I go adventuring about the deserted backlands of DHS on a weeknight. Or maybe when Star Wars Land opens it will be full of guests again holding time tickets for all the new attractions Disney built next door. Who knows.

But the relative value of Muppets against Star Wars, which will without question be Disney's flagship IP in five years? They are a side show.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Muppets serves an integral purpose in DHS, it is a family attraction that little kids can enjoy. Seriously doubt that Muppets is going anywhere, especially since Disney is working on a sequel to the last Muppets film which was very good.

I seriously doubt that Disney would recreate a Star Wars world in a land and not put in attractions, or even worthy attractions.

Sounds like whoever gave you these rumors is an armchair imagineer who just sat down and is deciding what will be taken out in a fictional DHS super project.
So are you basing all of this on your personal opinion or are you saying that you have different inside information that is opposite of what others are hearing?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Dude, you don't know what Disney is about to do to this park, or the Star Wars IP in general. The merchandise opportunities Disney will be creating with this expansion are not gonna be available at your local Wal-Mart. And they are a hell of a lot more exciting than trying to peddle the same Muppet merchandise that Disney has been selling for close to 20 years in the back corner of a badly attended Studio park.

If the Muppets end up staying in DHS, hooray. I like having an empty air conditioned theater to sleep in whenever I go adventuring about the deserted backlands of DHS on a weeknight. Or maybe when Star Wars Land opens it will be full of guests again holding time tickets for all the new attractions Disney built next door. Who knows.

But the relative value of Muppets against Star Wars, which will without question be Disney's flagship IP in five years? They are a side show.
My like is for the first paragraph.

Back off my muppets;). I'm a grown adult and they still make me laugh out loud. That theater is nice and relaxing on a hot day:)

Magenta Panther

Ah some fact has been separated from the myth after all. Thank you the clarification.

I can tell you that in the context of everything else I had presented to me, Muppets were mentioned rather flippantly as something that could be done away with in favor of Star Wars because SW IP will ring up dramatically higher merch sales than Muppet IP. Especially with Disney seemingly placing an emphasis on recreating actual environments from SW rather than the attractions themselves. If it becomes an either/or proposition regarding keeping existing park real estate vs. expanding outward, Muppets are getting an eviction notice from their current home.

Tho I will concede that after hearing what this proposed "Star Wars" e-ticket is allegedly going to be, that either/or proposition doesn't seem to be a problem.

I think that some people have a wildly inaccurate impression of how popular the Muppets are and how much merch they sell. If the merch sells so well, how come the dedicated Muppet store in WDW has mostly Mickey stuff in it (at least that's how it was the last 2 times I visited it)? Now undoubtedly, Disney will continue to try to make use of the franchise, but I'm betting that keeping that attraction in the parks doesn't figure much into that plan, since it's a sparsely-attended show (especially in DCA). I think that Star Wars is a bit oversold too, but its advantage is that it's sci-fi and set in the future, and is thus much less of a period piece and relies much less on nostalgia for its appeal. I'm still not crazy about it expanding in DHS, but I suppose it's inevitable....:(

pheneix

Original Poster
My like is for the first paragraph.

Back off my muppets;). I'm a grown adult and they still make me laugh out loud. That theater is nice and relaxing on a hot day:)

Oh I agree. I quite enjoy the Muppets. Haven't seen the new motion picture but fond childhood memories reside with the Muppet Show and I also think Muppetvision is a fun movie. But its also nearly 20 years old. It's nice that the movie is more watchable than Shrek 4D, but 3D movies should not have a shelf life like this. This attraction should have been included in its entirety on a History of Walt Disney World DVD set years ago.

Pixiedustmaker

Dude, you don't know what Disney is about to do to this park, or the Star Wars IP in general.

What Disney plans to do with StarWars has been announced, movies (and tons of merchandise sold in malls), and possibilities for a StarWarsland. I wouldn't call rumors of a Cantina restaurant at DHS a bonafide StarWarsland.

The merchandise opportunities Disney will be creating with this expansion are not gonna be available at your local Wal-Mart. And they are a hell of a lot more exciting than trying to peddle the same Muppet merchandise that Disney has been selling for close to 20 years in the back corner of a badly attended Studio park.

There's a lot of Star Wars merchandise out there already . . . and Disney will make 99% of their money off of selling Star Wars merchandise in the U.S. and countries all around the world.

So you don't like Muppets and you field a rumor whereby Muppets are going to be taken out. Never mind that Muppets is one of the few attractions that families with little kids can fully enjoy at DHS. Seriously doubt Muppets is going anywhere, Disney isn't that hard-up for real estate for a StarWarsland.

I think somebody pulled your leg with these rumors as they seem like armchair imagineering.

Pixiedustmaker

So are you basing all of this on your personal opinion or are you saying that you have different inside information that is opposite of what others are hearing?

You don't need inside information to know that Muppets at DHS is an attraction that families with little kids can enjoy, and as such it is sorely needed at the park. Sorry, that's just reality when it comes to understand the appeal that different attractions have DHS.

It is also in the public domain that Disney is doing a Muppets sequel, it is just plain common sense that Disney's commitment to Muppets, and the upcoming movie, make it much less likely that Muppets will be taken out.

Doesn't take a genius to see that a lot of these rumors are bogus!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I think that some people have a wildly inaccurate impression of how popular the Muppets are and how much merch they sell. If the merch sells so well, how come the dedicated Muppet store in WDW has mostly Mickey stuff in it (at least that's how it was the last 2 times I visited it)? Now undoubtedly, Disney will continue to try to make use of the franchise, but I'm betting that keeping that attraction in the parks doesn't figure much into that plan, since it's a sparsely-attended show (especially in DCA). I think that Star Wars is a bit oversold too, but its advantage is that it's sci-fi and set in the future, and is thus much less of a period piece and relies much less on nostalgia for its appeal. I'm still not crazy about it expanding in DHS, but I suppose it's inevitable....:(
For the same reason that the Emporium has the exact same stuff as every other gift shop at WDW. Homogenization.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You don't need inside information to know that Muppets at DHS is an attraction that families with little kids can enjoy, and as such it is sorely needed at the park. Sorry, that's just reality when it comes to understand the appeal that different attractions have DHS.

It is also in the public domain that Disney is doing a Muppets sequel, it is just plain common sense that Disney's commitment to Muppets, and the upcoming movie, make it much less likely that Muppets will be taken out.

Doesn't take a genius to see that a lot of these rumors are bogus!
I wasn't talking about your muppets opinions, I meant this part:
You are basically saying this guy's source has it all wrong and you seem prettty certain about it. I was just wondering If that is just your opinion or if you actually had inside info that contradicted his.

Pixiedustmaker

I wasn't talking about your muppets opinions, I meant this part:

You are basically saying this guy's source has it all wrong and you seem prettty certain about it. I was just wondering If that is just your opinion or if you actually had inside info that contradicted his.

I guess I could call somebody I know at WDW about this . . . for laughs! I personally don't take these rumors seriously at all, they are just a collection of armchair imagineering/half-baked ideas from the fan boards all meshed into one.

Sure, WDW fans see the changes at DCA, and figure that somebody will flip the switch and remake areas of DHS. DHS has different issues than DCA, one being that the Cadillac Mountain range was built as a visual berm to block buildings and power lines, and that it gets super hot in Carsland in the summer. The fact that WDW fans are ravenous to prove that DHS is a failure (like DCA 1.0), kinda pokes more holes in all this blue sky speculation.

Nmoody1

I don't get why Lights Motors Action - that fills up for every show in a packed auditorium would go anywhere... Especially if you are building a cars themed land which could tweak the show to be a cars 2 type set up.... It's a huge crowd absorber - which will be needed if attendance levels rise to what anybody on here would like.

SirLink

There was a time when it looked like Star Wars had gone dormant too. Late 80s/early 90s, it looked like Star Wars was drifting into irrelevance. As much money as there is in Harry Potter books, movies and merch, it's just a matter of time before there's new HP content.

There is new Potter content though. JK is writing new material for her Pottermore site to fill in gaps of the world over time, etc. Plus some other content she is writing to go into Harry Potter other mediums. So ...?

PhotoDave219

Deep breath everyone. Deep breath.

We have proposals. We have blue sky ideas or things a step farther.

What we don't have? Funding. Confirmation. Anything even remotely considered confirmation beyond it's being discussed and things are being considered.

I want this to be true, but this company has a long history of there not being any fire after people think they see smoke.

So CarsLand, Star Wars? They're not happening..... Yet. They're being considered. Nothing more.

Pixiedustmaker

I don't get why Lights Motors Action - that fills up for every show in a packed auditorium would go anywhere... Especially if you are building a cars themed land which could tweak the show to be a cars 2 type set up.... It's a huge crowd absorber - which will be needed if attendance levels rise to what anybody on here would like.

Agree. Disney is loathed to remove infrastructure bones. If they built a Carsland at DHS (parking lot), then they'd have an overflow area when the crowds are at their peak. I'm no fan of the show, but given the hordes of fans, especially foreigners who I'm guessing like this sort of thing, they probably won't take it out anytime soon. Even if they scrapped the show, the area could be repurposed.

I think I saw it once years ago, can't remember. Stunt shows aren't my cup of tea.

That's a creative idea concerning Cars 2 . . . Cars 3 will provide more fodder for the parks.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Deep breath everyone. Deep breath.

We have proposals. We have blue sky ideas or things a step farther.

What we don't have? Funding. Confirmation. Anything even remotely considered confirmation beyond it's being discussed and things are being considered.

I want this to be true, but this company has a long history of there not being any fire after people think they see smoke.

So CarsLand, Star Wars? They're not happening..... Yet. They're being considered. Nothing more.
Lies! My Magical Express Bus Driver told me both would be open by 2014!

G00fyDad

As for the whole Harry Potter versus Star Wars.....I'm out. This has turned in to a "I like THIS series more." and that is all that it will ever be here. I'm done. Potter will fade (unfortunately), and that is just my opinion. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom