Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

Turtle

Attractions that are getting Replaced:
- Backlot Tour (Barely Anybody Goes)
- Indiana Jones Stunt Show
- American Idol (Always Empty)
- Honey I Shrunk The Kids

Attractions That We Would Get: (Assumption from Reports)
- Star Wars E-Ticket
- Jedi Training Academy (From My Understanding it would become a show)
- Cars Dark Ride
- Junkyard Jamboree
- Star Wars Walkthrough
- Pixar Ride (If i remember correctly Niles said there would be a Soundstage 1 ride)

We would actually be getting two more "attractions". 4 that are rides, unlike anything currently in the bulldozing section. And the 1/2 the attractions that would be bulldozed barely anybody goes.

lazyboy97o

Does!

Seriously, DHS's official expansion plans (not in situ redevelopment which is expensive if preceded by demolishment, though can be done), are across World Drive or into the parking lot w/ the possibility of a parking garage to compensate the lost parking acreage and more guests.
You are failing to understand that the Reedy Creek Improvement District is working with potentialities, not defined specifics.

Pixiedustmaker

Yes, Reedy Creek puts a lot in the comprehensive, just to make sure they have given the heads up, but here is something for development maximum through 2020:

1 Major Theme Park 377 Acres

And from the Plan:

During the next 10 years, the District’s development will be directed to those areas identified as suitable in the
above analysis. The largest areas of suitable land are located west of Animal Kingdom, between World Drive
and I-4 between Osceola Parkway and US 192, around Lake Mable, north of the Magnolia Golf Course, east
of the Magic Kingdom parking lot, and west of Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Other areas identified as suitable are scattered throughout the District on sites of less than 100 acres. Figure 2-6, later in this chapter, shows the location of suitable land based on land use designation.

The area east of the Magic Kingdom's parking lot has enough land available for park bigger than the Magic Kingdom. Transform the race track into parking space, plus add other small parcels, and there you go: fifth gate.

Pixiedustmaker

Yes, they still are. Resort. Not park. As you can see two posts back. As I said, no park.

The characteristics that would preclude the development of a resort on a given parcel of land, 100-year flood plan, corrosion, etc, are the same that would preclude a theme park being built. It is suitable land for either a theme park or a resort, both of which require heavy construction.

The suitable land around Bay Lake is far, far more likely to be used for the construction of a resort, btw, given its scenic potential and happily there is a good sized plot above this larger plot would could be used for a resort. See the pinkish/reddish area in photo around the Seven Sea Lagoon . . . this is where a new resort would go, for the water activities and the great view. The bigger suitable area with the "13" in it is where a 5th gate could go.

Possible-Future-Disney-World-Resort-Hotel-Sites-Near-the-Magic-Kingdom.jpg

PhotoDave219

Attractions that are getting Replaced:
- Backlot Tour (Barely Anybody Goes)
- Indiana Jones Stunt Show
- American Idol (Always Empty)
- Honey I Shrunk The Kids

Attractions That We Would Get:
- Star Wars E-Ticket
- Jedi Training Academy (From My Understanding it would become a show)
- Cars Dark Ride
- Junkyard Jamboree
- Star Wars Walkthrough
- Pixar Ride (If i remember correctly Niles said there would be a Soundstage 1 ride)

We would actually be getting two more "attractions". 4 that are rides, unlike anything currently in the bulldozing section. And the 1/2 the attractions that would be bulldozed barely anybody goes.

Jedi training academy is already a show.

The Empress Lilly

This will happen if...

1) TDO is given to Comcast to manage
2) A cold day in hell
3) When Bob Iger retires
4) If Bob Iger falls on his head and has a revalation
5) If God has a personal chat with Bob Iger
6) If TDO is given to the Chinese to manage
7) If TDO is given to Oriental Land Co to manage
8) If fairies exist and grant wishes
or 9) If dreams really do come true
I take you 'cautiously optimistic' approach too.

However, I think you overlook one Iger policy trait: Iger will spend, and spend big on aquiring and developing franchises. The very core strength of Disney has been defined by Iger to be its ability to develop and exploit franchises better than anybody else. If Star Wars is worth two billion in the hands of Lucas, it is worth six billion in the hands of TWDC. Hence a four billion sale is a great deal for all parties. Likewise with Pixar and Marvel.

TWDC now has a near complete line-up for every age and gender, to be synergetically exploited in parks, cruises, resorts, books, films, television, stores, merchandise. Princesses, Pixies, tween Disney Channel for girls, Cars, Marvel and Star Wars for boys. Iger/TWDC will not be reluctant to spend to develop Cars and Star Wars in the parks, no more than there is reluctance to spend on princesses.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That's one gigantic resort...Would more than one resort occupy that plot? Not doubting you as your info is always spot on, just seems like a rather large plot of land for a DVC resort.
Not really. Take in landscaping, parking, back of house and the like and its not a massive area for a self contained resort.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Pixieduster, since the plan you've posted twice was produced, Bay Lake resorts have all but been ruled out due to being too remote. For the premium view it was felt the areas couldn't easily be linked to the rest of the resort.

As you can see, if you believe me that is, area 13 is designated resort hotel now.

Area 10 is a long term resort (hotel) development. They got as far as buliding the new RCFD station before it stalled. Given it included a Seven Seas expansion it's no wonder why.

Pixiedustmaker

Pixieduster, since the plan you've posted twice was produced, Bay Lake resorts have all but been ruled out due to being too remote. For the premium view it was felt the areas couldn't easily be linked to the rest of the resort.

As you can see, if you believe me that is, area 13 is designated resort hotel now.

Area 10 is a long term resort (hotel) development. They got as far as buliding the new RCFD station before it stalled. Given it included a Seven Seas expansion it's no wonder why.

Kinda doubt it . . . the area for use of a future resort is on the Seven Seas Lagoon, along with all the other resorts, still good to go. It is directly north/north-west of Area 13, and has the monorail running through it. Area 13, lol, is for a theme park, it is in the middle of greenery, without a view of the lagoon it is not for a resort. The test balloon was flown over the area off of the Seven Seas Lagoon NOT Bay Lake.

Pixiedustmaker

The Med plot? Seriously?

Let me know when area 13 is the 5th gate.

Okaaayyy.

Yes, the Venetian Resort plot . . . has been earmarked for a resort for a while, great view of the lagoon, suitable land for construction and huge. What did you think they'd build on Area 13? Fort Wilderness 2.0? There's no water feature . . . tourists like that in a resort, plus they could add monorail access if they wanted. This was where the trial balloon was floated, I believe, and rumors had been circulating.

Area 13 is primo real estate for the fifth gate . . . easy enough to build the parking lot and bigger than MK.

Goofyernmost

I don't see why Animation Courtyard has to go. If they reimagine DHS as more of a "honoring the entertainment industry" type park, there's no reason that Animation Courtyard can't just be an area to celebrate Disney animation. (As an aside would be a perfect area to add dark rides based on features that don't fit thematic in Fantasyland.)

The Animation building in DCA work -- and is better than the DHS counterpart -- and would be a good model to use.
Sure but it would be a perfect place for that BAH, then it can still be there, but not creating ugly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom