Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

iYazmo

Am I the only one who really wishes this would get rethemed?

Frozen just switched theaters to a permanent location what, a month ago? I'm extremely confident that is staying put at least for a couple years.

I've been hoping for years that it gets rethemed. I enjoy the attraction itself but it has potential to be something spectacular with a new theme. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Aerosmith music but I've always felt there was something missing.

AEfx

Careful what you wish for. You may wind up with a Radio Disney themed RnRC. Truthfully I wish they had rethemed it to Phineas and Ferb back when it was in its heyday.

For some reason I don't think they'd go that far since the audience for Radio Disney largely couldn't meet the height requirement.

I am not a major Aerosmith fan, but they do have some good music and undeniably it pumps people up on the ride. If they did retheme, I hope they'd do something not-generic. I really wouldn't want to see something as "deeply themed" as Super Star Limo - which w/o Aerosmith, it would be - unless they came up with something really cool to totally retheme it with.

jt04

If that is the intended audience, even more reason it needed at least 2-3 more show scenes.

It's okay for what it is, but there certainly is little "WOW" to it.

IMO they wanted something compelling enough to take advantage of the Potter craze and draw people to the MK. It was a short term fix while they were working on much more long term fixes to the other parks. I believe the real long term priority is to add content on property to draw guests away from the MK. See DS, DAK 2.0, Frozen at WS, new film for Soarin and likely what will be DHS 2.0.

IMO.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
IMO they wanted something compelling enough to take advantage of the Potter craze and draw people to the MK. It was a short term fix while they were working on much more long term fixes to the other parks. I believe the real long term priority is to add content on property to draw guests away from the MK. See DS, DAK 2.0, Frozen at WS, new film for Soarin and likely what will be DHS 2.0.

IMO.

It wouldn't have taken them much longer to build the ride as originally intended. You don't spend 2 1/2 years and millions of dollars on a "short term fix".

jt04

It wouldn't have taken them much longer to build the ride as originally intended. You don't spend 2 1/2 years and millions of dollars on a "short term fix".

Eventually it will fit in with other MK additions nicely. They just had to be restrained until the other parks are developed properly. Someone will write a book someday about this era. Hopefully.

jt04

You should never be happy with management "restraining" Imagineering, that's how we end up with mediocre attractions.

I wanted PH rather than the circus which is better suited for MSUSA. So I can't say I was pleased 100%. But I do understand the challanges of getting things turned around and correcting bad stategic decisions from the past. They are on course to do that now. It has been amazing to witness.

jt04

This must be a definition of "amazing" that I am not familier with.

That is why we need an honest documenting of the turnaround at TWDC including WDW. Not sure Iger will provide that. He might. And if not Kevin Yee surely will for the WDW transition.

AEfx

Eventually it will fit in with other MK additions nicely. They just had to be restrained until the other parks are developed properly.

That's a bit...precious.

And what, pray tell, are those MK additions? Since even the most generous of rumors don't suggest we'll see anything of significance at MK again for at least the next ten years?

This wasn't some big master plan - let's not forget, we're closer to the end of a decade than we aren't since plans for NFL were originally leaked. What has happened is - Star Wars. No one back when NFL was being planned had any idea that Uncle George would decide to sell Lucasfilm. As much as I think Iger gets ridiculously blamed and ridiculed on this site, even he had no idea it would happen until that little hill in Fantasyland was well under construction.

Basically, someone(s) finally got the hint that Star Wars is the surest theme park bet that ever has been, and they are putting the money behind it because even the most conservative estimates of what even just the first new film are going to make are mind boggling, not to mention aside from raw grosses how much money all the merchandising and ancillary products is going to make. They had been searching for what to do with DHS, and this was the perfect cornerstone to anchor it.

That is why we need an honest documenting of the turnaround at TWDC including WDW. Not sure Iger will provide that. He might. And if not Kevin Yee surely will for the WDW transition.

LOL, OK, you lost me with Yee...he's second to only Jim Hill for opportunist bloggers (and score one for Jim Hill, he doesn't come here under pseudonyms and argue with folks who criticize him). Funny, though - I haven't heard his name in quite some time (thank goodness for some blessings) - last I recall, he was doing a lot of complaining about the state of WDW, so I'm surprised you'd be a fan.

AEfx

Or we can just admit that NFL was largely half-assed but thankfully at a park that really just needed more space for people, which it provides. Thankfully, guest reviews were not spectacular and Disney seems to be moving to finally introduce some compelling new attractions over the next six years.

I largely agree - though I do think the NFL was direly, direly needed just for placemaking purposes alone. Our Fantasyland was downright embarassing - a few tin roofs does not theming make. It was so eye opening when I went to Disneyland for the first time how much we really were lacking. It was way too expensive for what it was, and BoG is an epic failure in my eyes because of how they have chosen to run it - but it was sorely, sorely needed at the "flagship resort" to get a half-way decent Fantasyland.

ToTBellHop

I largely agree - though I do think the NFL was direly, direly needed just for placemaking purposes alone. Our Fantasyland was downright embarassing - a few tin roofs does not theming make. It was so eye opening when I went to Disneyland for the first time how much we really were lacking. It was way too expensive for what it was, and BoG is an epic failure in my eyes because of how they have chosen to run it - but it was sorely, sorely needed at the "flagship resort" to get a half-way decent Fantasyland.
I agree it improves FL's aesthetics but my point was that it's attractions were never designed to have much wow factor. Just as a diversion with new walkways for people. Something like AVATAR or apparently the DHS work are designed to actually wow people.

jt04

Circusland was built in a way that it could easily be reskinned someday. And I think it will happen. Though likely not until the decade after the 50th. Remember where you heard it first.

IMO.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Circusland was built in a way that it could easily be reskinned someday. And I think it will happen. Though likely not until the decade after the 50th. Remember where you heard it first.

IMO.

Can you provide the post where you first said this, because I know it has been said by others before now. I want to be sure the correct person gets credit for this idea. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom