Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That's more accurate. It needs 30-45 more seconds of something.

Most of us me included would have been overjoyed with 7DMT if they had included the 2 additional show scenes which Phil Holmes and Georgie K had 'value engineered' out of the attraction, The thing that gives 7DMT the 'kiddie coaster' vibe is the 'is that all feeling when you get off the ride', Disney's Coaster+Dark Ride is a awesome concept but it needs enough 'there' the various 'space mountains' get it right but are too intense for some. 7DMT was supposed to have more dark ride elements than thrill ride elements but by shortening it they lost out on both.

If you want the 'I need new underwear feeling' go ride the Hulk at 'The park which must not be named'

Next Big Thing

Most of us me included would have been overjoyed with 7DMT if they had included the 2 additional show scenes which Phil Holmes and Georgie K had 'value engineered' out of the attraction, The thing that gives 7DMT the 'kiddie coaster' vibe is the 'is that all feeling when you get off the ride', Disney's Coaster+Dark Ride is a awesome concept but it needs enough 'there' the various 'space mountains' get it right but are too intense for some. 7DMT was supposed to have more dark ride elements than thrill ride elements but by shortening it they lost out on both.

If you want the 'I need new underwear feeling' go ride the Hulk at 'The park which must not be named'
You're kidding yourself if you think Georgie K or Phil Holmes had anything to do with SDMT.

Neither have the type of power to make those types of decisions and Gergie K was still over at DL when Mine Train was approved/announced anyway.

AEfx

You're kidding yourself if you think Georgie K or Phil Holmes had anything to do with SDMT.

Neither have the type of power to make those types of decisions and Gergie K was still over at DL when Mine Train was approved/announced anyway.

And if I recall, the original plans for NFL included a Pixie Hollow M&G instead of 7DMT - until Darth Iger stepped in and suggested they go with something a bit more elaborate.

While I lament the value-engineering of 7DMT, at least what we got was a heck of a lot better than another M&G for a franchise that frankly doesn't seem to have a great deal of ongoing momentum.

Mike S

And if I recall, the original plans for NFL included a Pixie Hollow M&G instead of 7DMT - until Darth Iger stepped in and suggested they go with something a bit more elaborate.

While I lament the value-engineering of 7DMT, at least what we got was a heck of a lot better than another M&G for a franchise that frankly doesn't seem to have a great deal of ongoing momentum.
I seem to recall it being said on this site that SDMT was part of the original plan (before the announcement) then was replaced by the M&G's and then it was put back in. Oh, and the original plan was for the longer one. @marni1971? @Lee?

doctornick

I thought it was Staggs who pushed for the 7DMT to be re-added. Also, 7DMT replaced "enhanced" M&G's for Cinderella and Aurora, not Pixie Hollow. Pixie Hollow was slated to be where the circus tents are.

Lee

Adventurer
I seem to recall it being said on this site that SDMT was part of the original plan (before the announcement) then was replaced by the M&G's and then it was put back in. Oh, and the original plan was for the longer one. @marni1971? @Lee?
Yep.
I thought it was Staggs who pushed for the 7DMT to be re-added. Also, 7DMT replaced "enhanced" M&G's for Cinderella and Aurora, not Pixie Hollow. Pixie Hollow was slated to be where the circus tents are.
Also yep, but...
It should be noted that Staggs was heavily influenced by operational/capacity concerns brought about by the excess of M&Gs.

flynnibus

Premium Member

The Mine Coaster has been a concept for over a decade if I recall... it predated the NFL expansion plans, and was dusted off when they pulled back on the NextGen M&G concepts. But that was just a concept... not the same ride we ended up getting,

AEfx

I may be remembering incorrectly but I would have sworn it was originally credited to Iger because when he saw the plans that they were going to build he felt the project was too "girl" oriented.

EDIT: Yup, I just took a look - apparently it was Staggs.

In any case - still think what we got was a lot better than more M&G fun, LOL.

doctornick

I may be remembering incorrectly but I would have sworn it was originally credited to Iger because when he saw the plans that they were going to build he felt the project was too "girl" oriented.

Yeah, Staggs has young sons and he actually takes them to the parks so he's probably more tuned in as to Disney parks become princess overload.

That said, as Lee has indicated, there was probably more factors going into the decision than simply "it was too girly".

Cesar R M

you know something is wrong with WDW when you HAD to think "Could have been worse!". :eek:

AEfx

A mine train ride dates back to Walt Disney himself, it's been a concept in some way, shape or form for like 70 years.

Yeah, I wasn't saying some exec invented the idea LOL - I just knew that one of them pushed them doing it over M&G's. It was so long ago now that I just couldn't remember which exec - that was back before all we had to talk about was leadership and we still had park things to talk about.

Thankfully...we seem to be heading in the direction of having a lot more to talk about in the future. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom