Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

PeterAlt

Despite what may end up happening with this project, for the first time in years, I went to bed last night excited about something in WDW's future. I hope they make all of the right calls.

If Jim Hill is right (yeah, I know), and Star Wars Land is the priority, I hope that gives them time to rethink shortcuts they may be thinking of taking elsewhere in the park. There is so much potential for this park, and everyone sees it.
This will happen if...

1) TDO is given to Comcast to manage
2) A cold day in hell
3) When Bob Iger retires
4) If Bob Iger falls on his head and has a revalation
5) If God has a personal chat with Bob Iger
6) If TDO is given to the Chinese to manage
7) If TDO is given to Oriental Land Co to manage
8) If fairies exist and grant wishes
or 9) If dreams really do come true

G00fyDad

In 20 years when both are still enormous, potent franchises, call me! They're both here to stay.

Proof? http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

SW Ep 1 #17
SW Ep 2 #87 (This is the only one to not kick the crap out of HP) LOL
SW Ep 3 #60
SW Ep 4 #2
SW Ep 5 #12
SW Ep 6 #15

HP 1 #69
HP 2 #122
HP 3 #156
HP 4 #120
HP 5 #139
HP 6 #154
HP 7_1 #188
HP 7_2 #106

I'll put my money with SW ANY day.

By the way, I just asked my friend's kids (10 and 8) who Harry Potter was. Their response.... that stupid magic kid with the dork glasses. Yeah, he'll be around for decades to come. :rolleyes:

PeterAlt

Speaking of which, I would be pretty surprised if the MI coaster or some sort of Monsters Inc ride is not included in any upcoming DHS expansion. Soundstage 1 is sitting empty and they are really pushing the franchise/new movie hard.
Me too. Or at least this will be announced, if nothing else.

doctornick

But none of those "attractions" that they're losing are rides. Just shows, a horrible "movie studio" backlot tour, and playgrounds.

True, but they add to capacity. If a big problem with DHS is that people only come for 3-5 hours and don't spend enough money then getting ride of a bunch of attractions -- that give people something to do in the park -- and replacing them with a similar number of rides doesn't solve this problem very well.

If they are really removing Backlot Tour/LMA/SOA/Muppets/IJ/HISTK playground/Sci-Fi (can I assume that Sounds Dangerous and American Idol would be used too?), then that's a ton of land. You can build a heck of a lot more than 3-4 attractions in that space and I would have to assume that TDO would if they took all that down. Even considering all the food/merch places as well, there's plenty of space for 2-3 E-tickets and multiple smaller B or C tickets in that space (especially flat rides like Mater's).

twebber55

SW Ep 1 #17
SW Ep 3 #60
SW Ep 4 #2
SW Ep 5 #12
SW Ep 6 #15

HP 1 #69
HP 2 #122
HP 3 #156
HP 4 #120
HP 5 #139
HP 6 #154
HP 7_1 #188
HP 7_2 #106

By the way, I just asked my friend's kids (10 and 8) who Harry Potter was. Their response.... that stupid magic kid with the dork glasses. Yeah, he'll be around for decades to come. :rolleyes:
im not one to get in this goofy argument because i think both are great IPs but i will say this, episodes 4-6 were in a different era before netflix, redbox, dvd and blue ray....im sure many people wait until they come out on
also if you saw my post about my survey i did its in this thread

by the way im for star wars expansion just offering some levity

Pixiedustmaker

True, but they add to capacity. If a big problem with DHS is that people only come for 3-5 hours and don't spend enough money then getting ride of a bunch of attractions -- that give people something to do in the park -- and replacing them with a similar number of rides doesn't solve this problem very well.

If they are really removing Backlot Tour/LMA/SOA/Muppets/IJ/HISTK playground/Sci-Fi (can I assume that Sounds Dangerous and American Idol would be used too?), then that's a ton of land. You can build a heck of a lot more than 3-4 attractions in that space and I would have to assume that TDO would if they took all that down. Even considering all the food/merch places as well, there's plenty of space for 2-3 E-tickets and multiple smaller B or C tickets in that space (especially flat rides like Mater's).

Exactly my point. DHS needs more attractions, but no need to shoot itself in the foot and take out stuff that guests (especially foreigners) will go on. The official expansion of DHS involves pushing out World Drive, or building in the parking lot and putting in a parking garage. Either is a win-win scenario, they keep old attractions they can plus at a later date, and have new capacity to keep people in the park longer.

If people bothered to read the official Reedy Creek documentation, they'd realize this.

twebber55

SW Ep 1 #17
SW Ep 3 #60
SW Ep 4 #2
SW Ep 5 #12
SW Ep 6 #15

HP 1 #69
HP 2 #122
HP 3 #156
HP 4 #120
HP 5 #139
HP 6 #154
HP 7_1 #188
HP 7_2 #106

also those are domestic numbers o that doesnt count world wide gross

doctornick

If true, then it'll still be a in-cohesive mess (but a much better in-cohesive mess).

For it to work all the "real studio" lands have to go (Animation Courtyard and Streets of America)

I don't see why Animation Courtyard has to go. If they reimagine DHS as more of a "honoring the entertainment industry" type park, there's no reason that Animation Courtyard can't just be an area to celebrate Disney animation. (As an aside would be a perfect area to add dark rides based on features that don't fit thematic in Fantasyland.)

The Animation building in DCA work -- and is better than the DHS counterpart -- and would be a good model to use.

Mister Boo

SW Ep 1 #17
SW Ep 3 #60
SW Ep 4 #2
SW Ep 5 #12
SW Ep 6 #15

HP 1 #69
HP 2 #122
HP 3 #156
HP 4 #120
HP 5 #139
HP 6 #154
HP 7_1 #188
HP 7_2 #106

Is this where I respond with book sales figures or do we just accept that these are two of the most popular IPs in modern history?

Having said that, I'm not sure I see the relevance of the link. Are you proposing Gone With The Wind is due to come back around in popularity any day now? (I wish). No box office figures paint a picture of an IPs power 20 years down the road--which Disney will learn the hard way with Avatar :-/

doctornick

The RCID Future Land Use Plan shows the DHS expansion area west of World Drive. They could bridge the two sides or create pedestrian tunnels to connect the two halves without rerouting World Drive.

The easier thing would be to build backstage areas on the other side of World Dr (say, cast member parking and costuming) and then having shuttles or tunnels/pedestrian overpasses leading from their into the parks. They they could use much of the ample backstage area in between World Dr and Pixar place for "on stage" stuff.

If they are going to use the area west of World Dr for guests, I think it would work best to have a ride that loads on the east side of the street in the park and travels over the street to the main part of the ride on the other side. Kinda how the Big Thunder Mountain ride in Paris is mostly on the island but loads on the mainland (going underground in that case, however).

doctornick

Well that's the thing. The "Expansion" may be through demolishing present attractions, but they are attractions that do not permit guest access in a traditional sense. They take up an ungodly amount of space but don't do anything for capacity. LMAs down to what, two shows a day? And the backlot tour is just a dead zone begging to populated by...anything.

Oh, I agree, I just think that DHS is only easy to expand by replacing things -- it's very closed in. Other parks like DAK and Epcot can easily expand without touching existing structures at all, just adding space in unused areas.

Turtle

But most of those people who spend 3-5 hours hit the rides (GMR, ST, ToT, RnR, Toy Story) and they're out. Not many people go to the area which would be home to the expansion

PeterAlt

The easier thing would be to build backstage areas on the other side of World Dr (say, cast member parking and costuming) and then having shuttles or tunnels/pedestrian overpasses leading from their into the parks. They they could use much of the ample backstage area in between World Dr and Pixar place for "on stage" stuff.

If they are going to use the area west of World Dr for guests, I think it would work best to have a ride that loads on the east side of the street in the park and travels over the street to the main part of the ride on the other side. Kinda how the Big Thunder Mountain ride in Paris is mostly on the island but loads on the mainland (going underground in that case, however).
I haven't thought of this. That may be what they will do if these DHS makeover rumors are true. I don't see the logic of tearing down several perfectly good attractions in order to make room for a few more.

Mister Boo

also those are domestic numbers o that doesnt count world wide gross

Again I don't think it actually means anything but if you adjust international numbers for inflation, looks like Deathly Hallows Part 2 beats all the prequels. Not sure about the original trilogy, but international distribution was a very different beast then and comparing 1977 to 2011 box office illuminates absolutely nothing.

Crazydisneyfanluke

Wow! If this turns out to be true, Would they upgrade F! as well? I went to see the show last year and i could barely see what was on the mist screens. SWLand would be amazing, I just hope that Indiana Jones is not removed. Its a great show that fill up most of the time. Also, I would be extremely depressed if they got rid of the Osborne lights. Unless they moved it to the entrance of the park. :rolleyes: If this DHS 2.0 is to be true. They should upgrade the whole park, even if it is a patch up on paint, or a larger refurb, to make everything working well for when it is complete.

twebber55

Again I don't think it actually means anything but if you adjust international numbers for inflation, looks like Deathly Hallows Part 2 beats all the prequels. Not sure about the original trilogy, but international distribution was a very different beast then and comparing 1977 to 2011 box office illuminates absolutely nothing.
totally agree

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom