Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

elchippo

I still can't get over them wanting to pave over Echo Lake for Star Wars. That's so dumb. It's the LEAST of their problems. EXPAND. Stop REPLACING.

Agreed! Too much visual intrusion to Hollywood Blvd and the Chinese Theatre to suddenly have SW stuff popping up near it...SW should begin AFTER Echo Lake and the AI Theatre, nestled back like IJSS is now.

Brad Bishop

I think that the problem with DHS, and hopefully this will be corrected with them revamping it, is that it's not a destination park.

Yeah, I'm sure one guy will raise his hand here and say, "DHS is my favorite Disney park!" The problem is that he's the odd one.

For the rest of us, you don't go to WDW to see DHS. You see DHS because you're already there. If nothing else was there, and it was like that for some time, people would still go to the MK. Same with Epcot (as tired as it is) and, I think, the same with AK. DHS doesn't have that.

If you think about any theme or amusement park, you specifically go to them. It may be a local Six Flags. It may be a local family park.

If you took everything else out and just had DHS there in Orlando (meaning, it wasn't part of a larger WDW experience including MK, Epcot, and AK) I don't think anyone would go except maybe once, if they were curious. I don't think locals would support it. It's just not that interesting.

DCA suffered from that for a bit and then they redid it and I think it's a destination park, now. It looks really cool to me whereas before, I'd only have gone to it because it was next to DL.

With regards to Epcot (and said before):
- Add more countries
- Add a few rides to new or existing countries, even rides that were previously conceived but never added originally because of the budget cuts would work
- stop retreading rides
- Consider tearing down Living Seas - it looks like Sea Lab 2020 - and rebuild it
- Do something with the Odyssey Restaurant - tear it down and rebuild it

One of the things that suck are dormant attractions/buildings. It'd be like going to Six Flags and seeing the roller coaster that hasn't run for 10 years. It's an eye sore and all you think is, "Why don't they fix it or tear it down?"

Disney has that problem where they just kind of leave things to rot for a decade or more.

Bairstow

One of the things that suck are dormant attractions/buildings. It'd be like going to Six Flags and seeing the roller coaster that hasn't run for 10 years. It's an eye sore and all you think is, "Why don't they fix it or tear it down?"

Disney has that problem where they just kind of leave things to rot for a decade or more.

It's only a "problem" when people stop paying to get in.
Disney is behaving exactly the way we as customers have taught them to behave.

mahnamahna101

A DHS re-do is actually something that would be fine in phases. 5 phases, actually. $1.5-2 billion.

Phase 1: Pixar Place (RC Racers, Slinky flat ride, Junkyard Jamboree, Bug's Life/Up themed play area) Part 1 - $100 million. Only 3 flat rides and a reskinned play area. Nothing too bad and it would greatly improve the family-friendly options.

Phase 2: Pixar Place 2.0 (Incredibles E-ticket, Monsters dark ride, Gusteau's, Nemo - The Musical relocation) - Backlot Tour/LMA - $400 million ($500 million). It would include a people-eating show, a couple dark rides to ease the pressure for TSMM and a nice TS restaurant.

Phase 3: Muppets (Gonzo pizza parlor, Muppets Fantasyland-style dark ride, Muppet Mobile Labs, Electric Mayhem streetmosphere) - $150 million ($650 million). A Muppets mini-land would ease the pressure on Pixar to be the sole bastion of family-friendly attractions.

Phase 4: Star Wars (E-ticket speedbike coaster, family dark ride, flat ride, Mos Eisley, Jabba's Palace, Millenium Falcon walkthrough/M&G) - $650 million ($1.3 billion). Star Tours is big enough to where the speedbike coaster and a family dark ride should be enough in terms of major new additions.

Phase 5: Toontown/Sunset/Hollywood (Toontown takes over space between Animation and RnRC. New shows to replace Mermaid and B&TB. New dark ride by ToT. GMR gets a massive upgrade. Something replaces Jack Sparrow) - $700 million ($2 billion). Fixing the right side of the park would help ease tension for ToT and RnRC, make it easier to access TSMM from Sunset, get rid of a major bottleneck, and provide more compelling attractions in this area.

A $2 billion revamp spread from 2010-2020 would have done wonders for DHS and continually fixed the park over the course of a decade. There'd be something new every year. Similar to USF, the park would look brand new.

Of course, I'd be shocked if we got more than TSPL, a Monsters/Cars dark ride, Junkyard Jamboree, an update for GMR and an X-Wing spinner.

Progress.City

A DHS re-do is actually something that would be fine in phases. 5 phases, actually. $1.5-2 billion.

Phase 1: Pixar Place (RC Racers, Slinky flat ride, Junkyard Jamboree, Bug's Life/Up themed play area) Part 1 - $100 million. Only 3 flat rides and a reskinned play area. Nothing too bad and it would greatly improve the family-friendly options.

Phase 2: Pixar Place 2.0 (Incredibles E-ticket, Monsters dark ride, Gusteau's, Nemo - The Musical relocation) - Backlot Tour/LMA - $400 million ($500 million). It would include a people-eating show, a couple dark rides to ease the pressure for TSMM and a nice TS restaurant.

Phase 3: Muppets (Gonzo pizza parlor, Muppets Fantasyland-style dark ride, Muppet Mobile Labs, Electric Mayhem streetmosphere) - $150 million ($650 million). A Muppets mini-land would ease the pressure on Pixar to be the sole bastion of family-friendly attractions.

Phase 4: Star Wars (E-ticket speedbike coaster, family dark ride, flat ride, Mos Eisley, Jabba's Palace, Millenium Falcon walkthrough/M&G) - $650 million ($1.3 billion). Star Tours is big enough to where the speedbike coaster and a family dark ride should be enough in terms of major new additions.

Phase 5: Toontown/Sunset/Hollywood (Toontown takes over space between Animation and RnRC. New shows to replace Mermaid and B&TB. New dark ride by ToT. GMR gets a massive upgrade. Something replaces Jack Sparrow) - $700 million ($2 billion). Fixing the right side of the park would help ease tension for ToT and RnRC, make it easier to access TSMM from Sunset, get rid of a major bottleneck, and provide more compelling attractions in this area.

A $2 billion revamp spread from 2010-2020 would have done wonders for DHS and continually fixed the park over the course of a decade. There'd be something new every year. Similar to USF, the park would look brand new.

Of course, I'd be shocked if we got more than TSPL, a Monsters/Cars dark ride, Junkyard Jamboree, an update for GMR and an X-Wing spinner.
Is that your wish, or is that based on truth?

Progress.City

Wish mostly. The Pixar Place expansion and Star Wars Land as well as replacements for Mermaid/B&TB and a GMR upgrade aren't that unlikely though.
Someone made a comment about a ladder being moved from park to park. I thought about this and decided that they need to buy more ladders.

Actually, if Orlando theme parks were a regulated industry, the government would probably break WDW up into two companies with two theme parks and a water park each, with the hotels divided among them. If that happened, each company would own its own ladder and the whole playing field would be more competitive, with new stuff always getting built between the three companies (Universal being the third). In that scenario, I don't think not much would change over at Universal, since Disney by itself is the competition that drives it to be competitive, but WDW divided into two companies would drive each to be on par or outdo Universal and be competitive against each other.

mahnamahna101

I love all of it- and almost exactly how I've always thought they should do it as well.
My only comments:

Phase 1- perfect
Phase 2- Never thought of the Nemo show being here, but with Indy/LMA going away, a nice show replacement would be perfect.
Phase 3- You forgot you get a Table service restaurant in addition to Gonzos. Swedish Chef to take the place of Mama Melrose while Gonzos takes pizza planet. The muppet mini-land being fleshed out would be fantastic- one of my biggest wishes- and I dont even care about the muppets.
Phase 4- Perfect. I assume Sounds dangerous gets rolled in here as a large shop or maybe a fully themed Jedi training area?
Phase 5- This is the least fleshed out part of your plan- and still doesnt have much cohesion. "New shows to replace Mermaid and B&TB" and "Something to replace jack sparrow" doesn't really help us envision much. :)

With the other additions you listed- I'm completely fine with the entire animation courtyard as-is. Disney Junior is fine- although it doesnt have the room- I wish the Disney Junior area could be expanded- that could be a fantastic area for tiny kiddos. Disney Animation are is such a massive place- actually the largest plot of land in DHS outside of LMA- the current use of that space is a complete waste.

Jack Sparrow building should get rolled into Pixar place IMO- it can be a temporary M&G for new movies or whatever. Its really a tiny building with not much use, really.
For phase 5 I was thinking:
Toontown (takes over Disney Animation, too)
Sorcerer's Apprentice family boat ride - $120 million
relocated Barnstormer with slight upgrades - $40 million
Toontown Trolley (starring Roger Rabbit) - $100 million
Donald trackless bumper boats - $40 million
Animation Academy (reduced version of current attraction) - $5 million
Chip and Dale play area - $20 million
Mickey's Philharmagic replaces Mermaid- $50 million
Mickey Mouse Clubhouse replaces Disney Junior - $15 million

Disney Junior gets a M&G experience with all of the characters. - $10 million

Sunset Blvd
Trackless dark ride involving gangsters (allowing the gangster segment of GMR to be removed and utilized by something more Disney-esque) - $180 million
Tangled, Mary Poppins, Newsies or an original Hollywood-based musical for B&TB's theater - $40 million
Theming upgrade for RnRC - $50 million
New pathway between Toontown and Sunset - $20 million

Cmdr_Crimson

A very simple Answer....
tumblr_nf0jhkgWfy1tmcmg4o4_500.gif

Cesar R M

He's saying that they shouldn't close LMA and then start working on something there without opening up something somewhere else first. And I agree.
I was agreeing, hence why It makes no sense as a potential visitor.
why cut more attractions down when they already lack a lot and have nothing to replace them with?

Had they kept The faulty backlot tour and dumb jack sparrow open- and then worked on LMA, at least there are some attractions that can offset LMA being closed. But now you close LMA on a park that literally can't have anything else closed- and now all that LMA attendance has to go somewhere else for the day. It's a freakin mess.
TSPL opening and then shuttering LMA would be a much better option because at least you'd have a way to balance the crowds better.
To summarize- open something before closing something else. Enough is closed.
exactly!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom