Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

Mike S

Yeah, the MK finally started adding back the capacity they took away. Subs, Adventureland Veranda ... shameful. And they're STILL bursting at the seams. It's just hordes and hordes of people that pour in.

And now DHS has a bunch of closed and empty spaces and we likely won't see much for at least three to five years. And I'm being generous.

Epcot has Wonders of Life, Odyssey ...
Not to mention the rides in Epcot that have the capacity but hold almost no interest.

Imagination, Nemo, etc., I'm looking at you.

Kman101

Ya know what would fix capacity issues?

New attractions.

Bum dum cha!

Pretty much. Just imagine if Epcot, AK and DHS weren't left ignored for years and years and we got the New Fantasyland earlier ... the fact is, the MK needs more things to do on top of the other parks getting things. They're so behind in adding things that they aren't able to catch up.

I'd love to actually be torn about which park I want to spend time in.

Hula Popper

And the ever increasing crowds isn't even because of things Disney is doing. It's Universal that's seemingly attracting crowds with their expansions and Disney is the one benefiting from it

giphy.gif

Kman101

I just need to go to Universal when it's a little more dead. Hogsmeade and Diagon were waaaay too packed for me to truly enjoy but man they're incredible areas. Disney PLEASE give me an incredible Star Wars area. PLEASE. You do amazing work at Animal Kingdom (besides Dinorama) ... I know you can do it!

Cesar R M

I am fully behind closing LMA to use that space for new construction, but IMHO they need to open up additional attraction capacity first before shuttering it. That why I was hoping that TSPL was at least being fasttracked and might open soon.

And the absolutely worse thing they can do is shutter another attraction and not actually start renovating the space right away (i.e. how Backlot Tour, Jack Sparrow, etc. are just sitting there with nothing being done -- why not have left those attractions open if you weren't going to build immediately)
that last part makes me scratch my head. It makes no sense.

Cesar R M

Exactly. The sub lagoon sat there for about 10 years before they added the Pooh playground. And then it still took another 10 years for Mermaid/Dwarfs to take it's place. I believe. That's just wrong on every level.

And Animal Kingdom was forgotten about after Everest and while we have the greatly themed Harambe expansion, that was a good seven or so years and we still have two more to go until Avatar/Rivers of Light.

They coasted for a *very* long time.
Meanwhile.. Iger went madman with stock buybacks.

andysol

that last part makes me scratch my head. It makes no sense.
He's saying that they shouldn't close LMA and then start working on something there without opening up something somewhere else first. And I agree.

Had they kept The faulty backlot tour and dumb jack sparrow open- and then worked on LMA, at least there are some attractions that can offset LMA being closed. But now you close LMA on a park that literally can't have anything else closed- and now all that LMA attendance has to go somewhere else for the day. It's a freakin mess.
TSPL opening and then shuttering LMA would be a much better option because at least you'd have a way to balance the crowds better.
To summarize- open something before closing something else. Enough is closed.

Bocabear

I honestly think they should just shutter the whole park....Close it down for a year and a half...Go wild with construction, without the worry of impacting guest areas...this should speed the process up...., and then reopen a newly named, newly branded park...
With only 5 rides and a couple shows they really cant afford to shut anything else down before adding to the park roster. I know we have skipped DHS completely our last few trips to WDW... Just not enough to do, and then the few rides there are so crowded it's not worth it.

Kman101

All they have to do is shut off Streets of America and the former Backlot tour entrance. You still have the entire front half of the park plus Star Wars/Muppets. Why they haven't done this ALREADY is beyond me. Hollywood, Sunset, Echo, Animation, Pixar, Muppets are the least of their problems. Streets of America and the Backlot are dead zones that are ripe for new things. They could easily wall up the entire back area of the park and it would make no difference right now. They don't need to shutter the entire park (but I agree with what bocabear is going for).

I still can't get over them wanting to pave over Echo Lake for Star Wars. That's so dumb. It's the LEAST of their problems. EXPAND. Stop REPLACING.

Bocabear

I was just thinking if they close the whole park, they can do Major construction without affecting guest experience...
and honestly the actual layout of this park is kind of a mess... they could fix that too... The back of the park needs a lot of work, the middle of the park from Echo Lake to Star Tours all needs work... So many different areas could be addressed...

Kman101

I was just thinking if they close the whole park, they can do Major construction without affecting guest experience...
and honestly the actual layout of this park is kind of a mess... they could fix that too... The back of the park needs a lot of work, the middle of the park from Echo Lake to Star Tours all needs work... So many different areas could be addressed...

Well, that's true. I'm actually fine with them shuttering the park at this point and getting work done as quickly as possible. It's really what they should do at this point. They need the help but yet they continue to draaaaag it out. Yes the hat is finally gone. GMR got some love. Jack Sparrow and the Backlot tour were mercifully axed. But then ... *crickets chirp*

Yeah I'm sure they have a plan but IMO they seem to be falling into the Epcot trap of using Frozen Summer Fun and Star Wars to pad the numbers and get away with not investing into the park.

I've never agreed about the layout for the park. You have the "hub" and the lands extend outwards. To me, it's not all that hard to navigate, but there are several dead ends and you have to turn around a lot. The flow is bad, I see that. They could open up some areas to have it flow better but the layout itself isn't the problem, IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom