Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

Sped2424

I honestly think they should just shutter the whole park....Close it down for a year and a half...Go wild with construction, without the worry of impacting guest areas...this should speed the process up...., and then reopen a newly named, newly branded park...
With only 5 rides and a couple shows they really cant afford to shut anything else down before adding to the park roster. I know we have skipped DHS completely our last few trips to WDW... Just not enough to do, and then the few rides there are so crowded it's not worth it.
I agree with this ^

Magenta Panther

I'm fine with a GMR replacement being blue sky. I see no particular reason to replace that attraction. Update/upkeep over time? Yes. But I would hope WDI would focus much more on additions to the park, not replacements. I understand that some things might need to close due to geography, but GMR shouldn't be in that class.

I don't think anyone was talking about a GMR replacement. They were talking about a GMR upgrade. Which would be excellent.

doctornick

Personally, I think DHS should be home to the animated movies that aren't fairytales. This would allow for areas devoted to Wreck it Ralph, Big Hero 6, etc. If that's the current animation courtyard area, I can get on board. Having said that, I do think that the large theatrical stage shows should be at DHS as well.

Good place to put a new Mr. Toad's Wild Ride as well.

epcotWSC

IMO, you have a part of the park dedicated to music and movies with a focus on the 20s to 60s era (e.g., GMR, ToT, RR-more modern), Lucas Films area (Mostly Star Wars, but I don't see why Indy should get shafted), then a non-fairy tale animation area (focus on Pixar), you can have a good park.

Get rid of American Idol, they're cancelling it now anyway. Show hasn't been all that popular in years.

The stage shows should go IMO. Honestly, BatB and Little Mermaid are good shows, but they should be over in Magic Kingdom. Unfortunately, I doubt they'd ever remake those stages in that park. DHS should have none of the fairy tale Disney characters, that's what MK is for.

MotherOfBirds

There's no reason not to have a stage show for each. FotLK was thrown together at the last minute out of some bits and pieces and it's still a very popular attraction. While it would be nice, they don't need to pour a ton of money and R&D into a show to make a good one

doctornick

There's no reason not to have a stage show for each. FotLK was thrown together at the last minute out of some bits and pieces and it's still a very popular attraction. While it would be nice, they don't need to pour a ton of money and R&D into a show to make a good one

Stage shows are a good thing to have, it adds variety. And it's good to have variety among shows -- live performances, 4D movies, AA performances, the "living character" stuff like Turtle Talk, etc. But DHS is too reliant on shows. There needs to be a better balance with rides making up a greater percentage of "stuff to do".

FrankLapidus

Personally, I think DHS should be home to the animated movies that aren't fairytales. This would allow for areas devoted to Wreck it Ralph, Big Hero 6, etc. If that's the current animation courtyard area, I can get on board. Having said that, I do think that the large theatrical stage shows should be at DHS as well.

I like this idea, I'd be all for an overhaul of Animation Courtyard that offers more of a celebration and representation of the whole of Disney's animated history. Improving the current tour would be a good place to start.

Kman101

Animation Courtyard definitely needs an overhaul. They have more important work to do elsewhere right now, but that should also be on the list for a makeover down the road.

When is the Sing Along supposed to move to Superstar Theater?

Disneyhead'71

Their money is spread out in rehabs right now. I have the firm belief Disney has a plan. We just do not know what it is, we are not patient enough to wait, and will without a doubt disagree with the plans when they come out.
I was at the park the first week it was open. 25 years later they still only have 5 rides. My patience is fine. I'll be up at Universal riding new exciting attractions while I wait.

wdwfan4ver

Animation Courtyard definitely needs an overhaul. They have more important work to do elsewhere right now, but that should also be on the list for a makeover down the road.

When is the Sing Along supposed to move to Superstar Theater?
I thought it supposed to move sometime this month.

Victor Kelly

I was at the park the first week it was open. 25 years later they still only have 5 rides. My patience is fine. I'll be up at Universal riding new exciting attractions while I wait.

That is great, Universal should be visited as well. The studios has little movie attractions. Where Universal is nothing but movie related attractions. And while Uni is not my cup of tea at the moment, I certainly don't tell people to not go.

AEfx

That's why it's was at once really fun to look back then wholly depressing when @marni1971 brought out those written plans we both happened to get mailed "back in the day" ('92ish) about the future of the resort - it was mostly all about MGM. They had such huge plans for Phase II and III, and although most of it never happened (one or two things survived and were added to other parks instead, but most never saw the light of day). Technically, we really never got out of Phase II in terms of the amount of attractions that were supposed to be there. And this was from plans made back in the day when the Backstage Tour was supposed to be a big chunk of your day.

gmajew

Premium Member
That's why it's was at once really fun to look back then wholly depressing when @marni1971 brought out those written plans we both happened to get mailed "back in the day" ('92ish) about the future of the resort - it was mostly all about MGM. They had such huge plans for Phase II and III, and although most of it never happened (one or two things survived and were added to other parks instead, but most never saw the light of day). Technically, we really never got out of Phase II in terms of the amount of attractions that were supposed to be there. And this was from plans made back in the day when the Backstage Tour was supposed to be a big chunk of your day.
Have these plans been posted? I need a good cry today.

AEfx

Have these plans been posted? I need a good cry today.

Yes, @marni1971 put them up in a thread not too long ago (Maybe the Spirit thread?) - let me see if I can locate it. It was really nice of him - I had them for years and read them so many times but somehow lost them around college time. He happened to know exactly what I was referring to and pulled out his copy and took pics to share. I saved them on my home PC but don't have them right here or I'd repost them myself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom