Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

Bairstow

They need to build a pathway from around RNR to Animation Courtyard. That would also free up some currently backstage areas for use for more guest space. Yes, that would mean having to move around backstage services (probably the key thing is to move the CM dining area to a different location -- bulldozing that would enable a pathway to be placed into a courtyard).

Wouldn't that mean that RnR would no longer have any emergency/maintenance access?

slappy magoo

How about this? Escape From the Multiplex. A 3-d attraction set up similar to the Spiderman attraction at IoA, with the innocent premise that an audience is broken down into smaller screening rooms, experiencing a preview of a new 3-D movie "experience" at a local multiplex. The producer of the "movie" is there, an old fashioned William Castle type of manure peddler who is so sure you are going to get the bejeesus scared out of you, he jokingly installs seatbelts in all the movie theater seats so you can't escape the terror har de har har. Only "something" goes horribly wrong, a creature that can inhabit real and imaginary worlds breaks into the preview and the entire theater is somehow reversed and is sucked into the movie ala Last Action Hero. We are all trapped in our seats as the theater is not only thrust into the new reality of the movie, but we keep getting thrown and thrust into other movies in the multiplex - outer space here, car chase there, documentary about running of the bulls at Pamplona, etc, maybe even a Disney or (heaven forbid) a Roger Rabbit cartoon, always changing while we try to get back "home." Like a slightly more grown up Philharmagic, but with the "screening rooms" moving from location to location to create a more immersive illusion

It fits in with at least a movie experience, if not a Hollywood experience. And it could conceivably be modular, with certain multiplex elements being updated to either showcase new stars or even incorporate plotlines and stars/characters from upcoming or current movies. If licensing becomes an issue, then the movies become illusory parodies of existing movies (get a Robert Downey Junior lookalike to be Tungsten Man or something). As long as the motion of the theater doesn't change from ride to ride, it might not be expensive to update at all. Heck, it could even be adaptable like the new Star Tours, film enough different types of movies, maybe people wouldn't even have the same experience twice.

It could be fun. It could be a destination. It would be more of the "immerse yourself in Hollywood" premise TGMR was meant to be. It'd probably be expensive. So they'd never do it.

RayTheFirefly

How about this? Escape From the Multiplex. A 3-d attraction set up similar to the Spiderman attraction at IoA, with the innocent premise that an audience is broken down into smaller screening rooms, experiencing a preview of a new 3-D movie "experience" at a local multiplex. The producer of the "movie" is there, an old fashioned William Castle type of manure peddler who is so sure you are going to get the bejeesus scared out of you, he jokingly installs seatbelts in all the movie theater seats so you can't escape the terror har de har har. Only "something" goes horribly wrong, a creature that can inhabit real and imaginary worlds breaks into the preview and the entire theater is somehow reversed and is sucked into the movie ala Last Action Hero. We are all trapped in our seats as the theater is not only thrust into the new reality of the movie, but we keep getting thrown and thrust into other movies in the multiplex - outer space here, car chase there, documentary about running of the bulls at Pamplona, etc, maybe even a Disney or (heaven forbid) a Roger Rabbit cartoon, always changing while we try to get back "home." Like a slightly more grown up Philharmagic, but with the "screening rooms" moving from location to location to create a more immersive illusion

It fits in with at least a movie experience, if not a Hollywood experience. And it could conceivably be modular, with certain multiplex elements being updated to either showcase new stars or even incorporate plotlines and stars/characters from upcoming or current movies. If licensing becomes an issue, then the movies become illusory parodies of existing movies (get a Robert Downey Junior lookalike to be Tungsten Man or something). As long as the motion of the theater doesn't change from ride to ride, it might not be expensive to update at all. Heck, it could even be adaptable like the new Star Tours, film enough different types of movies, maybe people wouldn't even have the same experience twice.

It could be fun. It could be a destination. It would be more of the "immerse yourself in Hollywood" premise TGMR was meant to be. It'd probably be expensive. So they'd never do it.
That's pretty cute!

Bocabear

Actually that is a brilliant idea... they could even reuse alot of their existing set pieces and figures...and having no live actors would mean quality performances every time...
make this happen!!!! lol

doctornick

So, on the eve of the annual TEA numbers, it made me think about this thread. Here is talk from two years ago about how much DHS was struggling and how leadership was aware and planned to "fix" it with a significant overhaul. And yet, what has happened? Instead of actually adding to DHS in the ensuing years, we have seen more things close at the park with nothing significant in sight (sorry, third track for TSMM doesn't count). I know that the Frozen summertime stuff helped draw people to the park for part of last year, but the problems detailed in this thread still exist so it's surprising they are seemingly being ignored.

Thought this discussion was an interesting blast from the past that is sadly still relevant now. Where is @pheneix these days, anyway?

Last edited:

Beholder

I've been thinking about this myself lately. I have never pretended to know much about how a business should be run, or how decisions are made ($$$), but this doesn't seem like the "right" way. All this time has passed and nothing of significance has happened beyond the BAH finally being dismantled. All the Cardland talk, new Star Wars attractions, finally creating park cohesion, I was so onboard with all this. The speculation was great, the anticipation nearly unbearable. Now, not much of anything. Plans are fluid, things change, priorities get shuffled, but this is a little much.

Maybe I'm still too optimistic, but I'm hoping, after all this time, for a pretty awesome payoff.

prfctlyximprct

I've been thinking about this myself lately. I have never pretended to know much about how a business should be run, or how decisions are made ($$$), but this doesn't seem like the "right" way. All this time has passed and nothing of significance has happened beyond the BAH finally being dismantled. All the Cardland talk, new Star Wars attractions, finally creating park cohesion, I was so onboard with all this. The speculation was great, the anticipation nearly unbearable. Now, not much of anything. Plans are fluid, things change, priorities get shuffled, but this is a little much.

Maybe I'm still too optimistic, but I'm hoping, after all this time, for a pretty awesome payoff.

Me too. It sucks being a Disney optimist and constantly hearing about Sea World's new roller coaster, and Universal's new water park, and Busch Gardens, and Legoland, and yada yada yada and so on and so forth. C'mon Disney. Throw us a bone.

MerlinTheGoat

It will look nothing like what's built. ;)
Is that a good or bad thing in this case? The 7 Dwarfs Mine Train looked considerably better in the concept art than the final version. Kind of tiresome getting concept art that thoroughly outclass the actual attractions.

I'm not investing any hope until I hear the final budget approved for this project, and of course what sort of attractions will be included. I don't want them to squander this opportunity on a ton of crappy carnival rides like Toy Story Playland, I want some good quality rides for a change. TSP is is rumored as the most likely to occur at this point, and probably the first to be built. But it sure as heck better not be close to the only thing we end up getting in the end (and hopefully it doesn't eat into the budget substantially). I'd prefer not to have Toy Story Playland at all, but that wish is unlikely to come true.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom