Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

CrescentLake

It still puzzles me that more of an attempt wasn't made to change that during the billion dollar redo. It doesn't strengthen the park to not give people one main icon to grab on to, unless all of your multiple icons are absolute superstars - and in DCA's case, they really aren't (though I will not deny the growth the park into something much more wonderful than it was).

I'd appreciate an attempt at something new if I thought it was actually making things better. Disneyland, Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Tokyo Disney Land and Sea, Disneyland Paris all have one winning Icon, that represents the mission of the park - even Disney Studios Paris seems to centralize on their Earful Tower. I think it would behoove DCA to follow suit.

I totally agree. I can't wait to finally experience Disneyland and DCA, but I think it would benefit from a set, universal, primary Icon.

TheBeastMom

Our kids grew up at the three parks....we've been DVC members since 93'. When they put the hat up in front of the Chinese Theatre my teen son said, 'WHY THERE?'

We discussed it between the family and agreed that as a STUDIO park the GMR was a focal point when entering.

I have no further dollars to spend in the Orlando area....as a DVC member and Annual Pass holder I'm not losing travel time to leave the property.

I am sorry they aren't bringing Carsland to Orlando. I went west and it was great fun (Even Luigi's ride).

Our kids (25,28 and 36) ride all the RRC and TOT but hubby and I would rather do Toy Story Mania over and over...which is impossible because all the FP have been given out the last 3 trips we've been there.

They lost the glamour when they stopped developing and advertising the film work done on the property.

Fantasmic is a crap shoot, if you sit close you miss the scope of the show, if you set back you can't see the details (or you need binoculars). It's one of those shows that if you see it once....you don't have to go back. WHAT COULD THEY PUT THERE??

Seems that if they built a resort around DHS it may claim more people....or add a small water park that would be useful in the heat of July/August. They could call it Sunshine Alley.

In Ohio and Pa. the amusement parks have the wave pools and flumes and lounge chairs giving attendees a chance to cool off in the water and STAY in the park instead of leaving to relax.

bhg469

Is it? When is enough enough? Disney World is an ever changing kingdom. They can't please everyone all the time. Is the hat really causing you to have a bad time at Hollywood Studios? Do people actually walk into the park and turn around because of this hat? Give me a break!!! Yes I agree that the placement of the hat is wrong but there are much bigger things wrong with the studios. There are a handful of people on these boards that are bullies and think they know "what walt would have wanted", guess what??? You have no idea what he wanted! If you think you know what's best for disney and you feel you know how to make the parks more like Walt's dream by all means submit a resume to Disney. It does sicken me, some of the attitudes people on here have are absurb! Most people don't even get to enjoy Disney World and won't ever see the parks in their lifetime. Why don't some of you open your eyes and stop taking things for granted. Hat or no hat, working yeti or not working yeti, fantasmic is falling apart....etc etc etc.....if you hate it so much give your tickets to a under privileged child to make his or her dream come true because guess what? They won't be complaining about idiotic things that grown adults on this board care so much about. Open your eyes and take a step back and be thankful that you have the opportunity to be apart of this gift.

No one is on this forum because they hate wdw and anyone using the "Walt would have wanted", excuse is a fool. Having said that, if you think the parks are as much as a value as they were 15 years ago you're insane. They have diluted the entertainment, food and just about anything that made it unique. All this and they raise prices across the board at a much higher rate than inflation. It doesn't matter because the clientele for the most part, don't know what they lost.

CrescentLake

Great theme parks are created by having a cohesive whole, not a collection of individual parts. A Star Wars ride, no matter how awesome does not belong in Frontierland.

That point is a red herring. I don't like the hat all that much in it's current spot, but I do enjoy that hat. The hat isn't anywhere near as bad as Star Wars in frontierland.

Again, I'm saying id like the hat moved, and I even support the Chinese theater as the main icon.

I'm sorry you dislike it. But people are entitled to like it, and calling them part of the problem is both rude and, close minded. Two characteristics that seem to be growing in members here. When I joined, we were a welcoming bunch. With strong opinions but civility. Not sure what happened.

lazyboy97o

That point is a red herring. I don't like the hat all that much in it's current spot, but I do enjoy that hat. The hat isn't anywhere near as bad as Star Wars in frontierland.

Again, I'm saying id like the hat moved, and I even support the Chinese theater as the main icon.

I'm sorry you dislike it. But people are entitled to like it, and calling them part of the problem is both rude and, close minded. Two characteristics that seem to be growing in members here. When I joined, we were a welcoming bunch. With strong opinions but civility. Not sure what happened.
It is that sort of problem because it is the brand over substance mentality that has allowed Walt Disney World to slip so low. The defense for it is that it is "Disney," the brand.

CrescentLake

It is that sort of problem because it is the brand over substance mentality that has allowed Walt Disney World to slip so low. The defense for it is that it is "Disney," the brand.

I respect your opinion but I disagree. It's a combination of things that allowed WDW to slip so low. I do not believe the argument over the hat is a microcosm of the current problem with Disney as a whole, but evidently, you do.

We can both agree though, that quality has slipped substantially.

NoChesterHester

Of course you are entitled to your incorrect belief that the hat is an awesome icon at the terminus of Hollywood Boulevard…

Yes that was tongue and cheek… but perhaps I can explain in a less brash manner. Hopefully some of you can see our point of view.

The hat to many of us represents the end of an era where Hollywood Studios made any coherent sense at all. The original Hollywood Boulevard at Disney’s MGM Studios was every bit a carefully crafted environment and sequence as Main Street USA. Without the hat the history of Hollywood architecture was laid before you in a manner that helped you instantly understand the park’s dedication statement.

“We welcome you to a Hollywood that never was—and always will be.”

The entire sequence of the small park made sense at that time. The buildings of the 1930’s rolled into the war time buildings as you turned the corner. It was like a real place. As John Hench put it, it was the “architecture of reassurance.” Even for those of us that had never stepped foot in Hollywood it was instantly recognizable. Then the “working” studio on the backlot all made thematic sense.

All of that was interrupted by what was supposed to be a temporary marketing gimmick. The placement of the hat was NEVER intended to be where it is today, but instead was going to sit just outside the gates to the park. It was moved inside mostly for fear of security (keeping the shop’s stuff secure after park closing).

This is part of the overall influx of cartoon into real world environments. A devolution of rich thematic environments for garish over stylized junk.

EDIT:

Before The Big Hat you arrived at a unique place in time once you passed through the Crossroads of America. Now the hat perfectly represents what Hollywood Studios has become; an amalgamation of completely random things that don’t belong anywhere else.

The recent trend of Carsland and New Fantasyland have reversed this in a big way. Thank goodness.

Last edited:

Kman101

I just had a horrible thought. The kids that have grown up only knowing the hat LOVE it and they will rage when it is finally taken down.

Disney (well, TDO) doesn't care either way though. They clearly do what they want, LOL. But yeah, there is going to be a large portion who has grown up with and only know the hat. I totally understand why some do like it.

But the fact is, it does NOT belong on Hollywood Blvd. People can still like it all they want, but thematically, it does.not.fit

Put the hat in front of Carthay in DCA and see what people say. Same difference.

Kman101

They should have put the BAH at Walt Disney Studios in Paris (I know they have one for the Animation studios walk through, but that one is cheap looking). And that wasn't said to be insulting to the park.

Cesar R M

The hat is about as iconic as the giant big wheel trike at Pop Century. All it is, is a giant, theme ruining, decoration. No thought went into it's design or placement. No thought went into how it would impact the over-arching theme of the park. It shouldn't be there. It is a poorly conceived reaction by WDW to try and make things more accessible to the folks who think WDW is all about characters.
the hat is recognized everywhere.. which means is iconic. even if its theme ruining "decoration".
It should have been put somewhere else, but the Hat itself isnt that bad.
You guys are putting a lot of hate and fury towards the hat itself when in reality the real problem is the PLACEMENT (as in position of it.)

Of course you are entitled to your incorrect belief that the hat is an awesome icon at the terminus of Hollywood Boulevard…

Yes that was tongue and cheek… but perhaps I can explain in a less brash manner. Hopefully some of you can see our point of view.

The hat to many of us represents the end of an era where Hollywood Studios made any coherent sense at all. The original Hollywood Boulevard at Disney’s MGM Studios was every bit a carefully crafted environment and sequence as Main Street USA. Without the hat the history of Hollywood architecture was laid before you in a manner that helped you instantly understand the park’s dedication statement.

“We welcome you to a Hollywood that never was—and always will be.”

The entire sequence of the small park made sense at that time. The buildings of the 1930’s rolled into the war time buildings as you turned the corner. It was like a real place. As John Hench put it, it was the “architecture of reassurance.” Even for those of us that had never stepped foot in Hollywood it was instantly recognizable. Then the “working” studio on the backlot all made thematic sense.

All of that was interrupted by what was supposed to be a temporary marketing gimmick. The placement of the hat was NEVER intended to be where it is today, but instead was going to sit just outside the gates to the park. It was moved inside mostly for fear of security (keeping the shop’s stuff secure after park closing).

This is part of the overall influx of cartoon into real world environments. A devolution of rich thematic environments for garish over stylized junk.

EDIT:

Before The Big Hat you arrived at a unique place in time once you passed through the Crossroads of America. Now the hat perfectly represents what Hollywood Studios has become; an amalgamation of completely random things that don’t belong anywhere else.

The recent trend of Carsland and New Fantasyland have reversed this in a big way. Thank goodness.

now this is a proper complain.
but destroying the hat will not exactly remove all the mistakes on "putting all things there with no coherent theme" that DHS as.

Id say move the hat. But It will still take a lot to fix DHS in the way it is.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
the hat is recognized everywhere.. which means is iconic. even if its theme ruining "decoration".
It should have been put somewhere else, but the Hat itself isnt that bad.
You guys are putting a lot of hate and fury towards the hat itself when in reality the real problem is the PLACEMENT (as in position of it.)
I'll say I don't like either the hat, or it's placement. I'd be perfectly happy if they let Mythbusters blow it up with a few tons of some explosive devices.

Bocabear

All they have to do is move it to the other end of the street...you pass under the hat which symbolizes your entrance into the magical world of Hollywood and the Movies... ... The Hat is still used but as more of an entrance thing, it doesn't mess up any of the sight lives, and everyone would be happy...

Kman101

Most people are pointing out it's not the hat itself but the location ... yes, not everyone, but I feel like many have admitted it's the location. Which it is.

In this case, the hate for the hat is justified. Let's place a hat in front of Cinderella castle! That would look awesome!

Communicore

I have nothing but absolute hate for both the BAH and its stupid location. For some reason my mom likes the BAH and she took pics of it in several angles and even has pics of herself in front of it. I on the other hand, have no BAH pics at all. I also don't like the pin store under the BAH.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom