Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

JeffH

"There's just no way anything involving the small Catastrophe Canyon tram stop will ever be useful to anything related to a 12 acre Cars Land development at DHS."
Then you lack vision.
It would be at the bottom end of Cars Land, and merely be an "attraction" in Cars Land. A small "fake" tour that Mater takes you on where he fools you with the catastrophe. Then they will have to decide whether to keep the reveal in the backside (with a new description) or cover up the reveal with rock-work and eschew the description of how it works.
The grand rock-work in your (amazing) pictures is at the "top-side" of the land, while CC would be at the bottom.
CC was and still is the main highlight of the Backlot Tour...the one thing that really makes it worthwhile, so, with all the mechanics (and rockwork) put into it, it would make more sense to utilize it then bulldoze it. And the Horizons (or a Health Pavilion) analogy doesn't work here, they are very different.
Mater's (or Fillmore's or alternate with both) Canyon Tours, listen to a comedic BS tour spiel as the tram drives into position, deliver the gotcha catastrophe, Mater says "Gotcha/fooled ya" (or Fillmore says, "Woe man") then the tram circles back to the start with more spiel "didya pee your pants", "I love the looks on your faces".
So instead of having to stand and then sit through an entire Backlot Tour just to experience CC, you would simply take a small themed Cars Land tram ride "tour" through it. Like Soarin', this would be a family thrill attraction, and there just aren't many of them, anywhere...

DisneyGentleman

"There's just no way anything involving the small Catastrophe Canyon tram stop will ever be useful to anything related to a 12 acre Cars Land development at DHS."
Then you lack vision.
It would be at the bottom end of Cars Land, and merely be an "attraction" in Cars Land. A small "fake" tour that Mater takes you on where he fools you with the catastrophe. Then they will have to decide whether to keep the reveal in the backside (with a new description) or cover up the reveal with rock-work and eschew the description of how it works.
The grand rock-work in your (amazing) pictures is at the "top-side" of the land, while CC would be at the bottom.
CC was and still is the main highlight of the Backlot Tour...the one thing that really makes it worthwhile, so, with all the mechanics (and rockwork) put into it, it would make more sense to utilize it then bulldoze it. And the Horizons (or a Health Pavilion) analogy doesn't work here, they are very different.
Mater's (or Fillmore's or alternate with both) Canyon Tours, listen to a comedic BS tour spiel as the tram drives into position, deliver the gotcha catastrophe, Mater says "Gotcha/fooled ya" (or Fillmore says, "Woe man") then the tram circles back to the start with more spiel "didya pee your pants", "I love the looks on your faces".
So instead of having to stand and then sit through an entire Backlot Tour just to experience CC, you would simply take a small themed Cars Land tram ride "tour" through it. Like Soarin', this would be a family thrill attraction, and there just aren't many of them, anywhere...
Wow, thanks for pointing out our naiveté. You should be an Imagineer.
But I'd prefer a Star Wars theme, in which they drown Jar Jar Binks in the flood.
Woe, man.

wdrive

Why replace the hat? Like the castle, Spaceship Earth, Tree of Life, the Hat is the central Icon for DHS and fits the theme of the park perfectly, Hollywood Magic and it's Mickey's hat as well, the most Disney icon of them all. The "return" of the Chinese Theater (as the Icon) has NO meaning, is not Disney, what is the point? The only point of the Chinese Theater is that it was there 1st (so what?)...as the water tower served as the temporary park icon. And like the other park icons, the hat provides for a GREAT picture, the alternative is a picture of your family standing with a fake Chinese Theater in the background (?!?).
And if your argument is that the hat doesn't belong on main street, neither does Cinderella's castle, or that it blocks the Chinese Theater which is part of the theme of main street, then I would like to point out that the Chinese Theater stands alone, there are NO buildings around it themed towards it and main street stops a block before the Chinese Theater, so again, it stands alone. It is a beautiful entrance to a great movie ride, but that's all it is, it is not Disney, and it is not appropriate as a Disney Icon (and if Disney ever used it as such, they'd probably get sued, which is why the Water Tower was the icon before the hat). The only problem is that the hat is so close to the Chinese Theater, that you can't get a good picture of it, but considering the hundreds of "iconic" pictures the hat provides...
There is nothing wrong with the hat except it isn't big enough to house anything significant. Make it bigger...

The Carthay Circle Theater is also not Disney yet is the icon of DCA

Kman101

I'd say if you asked most would probably consider it the icon of DCA. Maybe Grizzly Peak (which they seem to want to push as the icon - of sorts)

doctornick

It is interesting that the concerns that pheneix outlines in the first few posts of this thread are still present -- and potentially more concerning -- and here we are almost a year later and no announcement has been made, no concept art has been released and no walls are up. If DHS deperately needed an overhaul last year, what exactly is TDO and Burbank doing twiddling their thumbs?

I still don't get why they don't at least put something in Soundstage 1 to increase capacity and create some small attention for DHS. That way when and if Echo Lake/Streets of America go behind construction walls in the near future, they at least have something new to offer.

Last edited:

Captain Neo

116 pages of discussion that have amounted to nothing. Disney is not planning some massive reinvestment in any of the parks much less Hollywood Studios. No major attraction additions for AT LEAST 5 years and don't let anyone tell you any different.

yensidtlaw1969

DCA has multiple icons. There isn't one main icon.
It still puzzles me that more of an attempt wasn't made to change that during the billion dollar redo. It doesn't strengthen the park to not give people one main icon to grab on to, unless all of your multiple icons are absolute superstars - and in DCA's case, they really aren't (though I will not deny the growth the park into something much more wonderful than it was).

I'd appreciate an attempt at something new if I thought it was actually making things better. Disneyland, Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Tokyo Disney Land and Sea, Disneyland Paris all have one winning Icon, that represents the mission of the park - even Disney Studios Paris seems to centralize on their Earful Tower. I think it would behoove DCA to follow suit.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Why replace the hat? Like the castle, Spaceship Earth, Tree of Life, the Hat is the central Icon for DHS and fits the theme of the park perfectly, Hollywood Magic and it's Mickey's hat as well, the most Disney icon of them all. The "return" of the Chinese Theater (as the Icon) has NO meaning, is not Disney, what is the point? The only point of the Chinese Theater is that it was there 1st (so what?)...as the water tower served as the temporary park icon. And like the other park icons, the hat provides for a GREAT picture, the alternative is a picture of your family standing with a fake Chinese Theater in the background (?!?).
And if your argument is that the hat doesn't belong on main street, neither does Cinderella's castle, or that it blocks the Chinese Theater which is part of the theme of main street, then I would like to point out that the Chinese Theater stands alone, there are NO buildings around it themed towards it and main street stops a block before the Chinese Theater, so again, it stands alone. It is a beautiful entrance to a great movie ride, but that's all it is, it is not Disney, and it is not appropriate as a Disney Icon (and if Disney ever used it as such, they'd probably get sued, which is why the Water Tower was the icon before the hat). The only problem is that the hat is so close to the Chinese Theater, that you can't get a good picture of it, but considering the hundreds of "iconic" pictures the hat provides...
There is nothing wrong with the hat except it isn't big enough to house anything significant. Make it bigger...

Jeff, I'm in agreement with you about the hat. Iconic Disney, especially Mickey. However, I think you and I are in the minority on this post. I would hate to see it removed from DHS. And I cannot think of a spot to move it to in DHS either. But I agree with some, take the pin trading and everything else under the Hat away - it detracts from the Hat.

asianway

Jeff, I'm in agreement with you about the hat. Iconic Disney, especially Mickey. However, I think you and I are in the minority on this post. I would hate to see it removed from DHS. And I cannot think of a spot to move it to in DHS either. But I agree with some, take the pin trading and everything else under the Hat away - it detracts from the Hat.
The pins are fine. The hat does enough damage on it's own

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The pins are fine. The hat does enough damage on it's own

I respectfully disagree. The first time we visited HS was during EMH and I got so excited when I saw the Hat. My daughter had to drag me out of the park while I was still trying to take pictures of it from every angle I could.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom