Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

WDWDad13

Gosh, this thread is back from the dead huh?

We can speculate about what DHS needs until the cows come home, but I think its pretty obvious. The park needs placemaking to unify the front of the park under the "Hollywood that never was and always will be theme," and the back of the park can be entering into specific movies. Pixar, star wars, indy, ect. themed areas can be found in the back of the park.

Basically, ditch the studio idea. Make the park Disney's Hollywood Adventure, half classic Hollywood, half immersive movie lands. Marketing the park would be easy that way, and the park would be unified.

Bottom line though, is that it needs work. Placemaking and attractions. DHS has some wonderful vistas and themed areas, and those should be extended.
I like the name - it could work

How about Star Wars land, Pixar Place, and Frozen Land... then redo the Great Movie Ride with all Disney movie scenes....that would be huge

CrescentLake

I like the name - it could work

How about Star Wars land, Pixar Place, and Frozen Land... then redo the Great Movie Ride with all Disney movie scenes....that would be huge

Huge fan of Frozen, but I think that might be more of an MK property. I think the GMR should remain the same but plussed, but if they wanted to do a Disney movie version of that along side it, I'm all for it.

JeffH

Changing the name isn't a solution, no matter how stupid the name is (not any more stupid than the now meaningless Epcot).
They do need to ADD attractions to the park that don't close at 6pm.
Expand Pixar place as imagineer boy suggests. (note: imagineer boy, you need to update your ideas, Narnia is gone, fireworks are now part of Star Wars weekends and you need to suggest things that make financial sense)
Combine Catastrophe Canyon into CarsLand, built on the west-side of the park.
Expand Star Wars area south of Star Tours.
Expand Muppets to area south of MuppetVision.
Add another Indy attraction (since Disney owns Indy as well)

CrescentLake

Changing the name isn't a solution, no matter how stupid the name is (not any more stupid than the now meaningless Epcot).
They do need to ADD attractions to the park that don't close at 6pm.
Expand Pixar place as imagineer boy suggests. (note: imagineer boy, you need to update your ideas, Narnia is gone, fireworks are now part of Star Wars weekends and you need to suggest things that make financial sense)
Combine Catastrophe Canyon into CarsLand, built on the west-side of the park.
Expand Star Wars area south of Star Tours.
Expand Muppets to area south of MuppetVision.
Add another Indy attraction (since Disney owns Indy as well)

Did you even read my/others posts? I never said changing the name was the answer. And Epcot's name is not meaningless. The name change would reflect the expansion.

DHS needs rides, but it needs a cohesive theme more. Haphazardly adding rides without a plan will dig us into a deeper hole.

No Muppets area please. Other than that, I basically suggested the same things. Literally everyone has.

JeffH

Even EPCOT and EPCOT center were meaningless and merely a homage to Walt Disney's original intent for the area we now know as Walt Disney World...if it was up to Walt this area would have been E.P.C.O.T, no theme parks, just a futuristic city...it was the bankers/financiers that insisted that he build the Magic Kingdom (to finance E.P.C.O.T. which was never built), and when he died, E.P.C.O.T. died with him. Only E.P.C.O.T. had meaning and only on paper.
And sorry if I didn't completely review all 113 other pages in this post to see all your other comments in this thread, I was simply responding to your recent post which seemed to put so much emphasis on unifying the name...may I suggest Disney's Magic in Live Films (not to be confused with Monster's Incorporated Laugh Floor), or Disney's MILF for short

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Even EPCOT and EPCOT center were meaningless and merely a homage to Walt Disney's original intent for the area we now know as Walt Disney World...if it was up to Walt this area would have been E.P.C.O.T, no theme parks, just a futuristic city...it was the bankers/financiers that insisted that he build the Magic Kingdom (to finance E.P.C.O.T. which was never built), and when he died, E.P.C.O.T. died with him. Only E.P.C.O.T. had meaning and only on paper.
It was never spelled with periods, just EPCOT. The change to the EPCOT Theme Centers and then the EPCOT Center is well documented and follows a flow of doing more than paying homage but tying into very specific ideas that were central to EPCOT as a community.

CrescentLake

I agreed with a lot of what you said, except this.

I'll take a Muppet area. A grand one full of disillusion and chaos. Old school Muppet humor.

(Cue Magenta Panther)

I find its very hit or miss. Some people love the Muppets, others don't. I'm ashamed to say...I don't. But thats not to say I would say no to an immersive land! Its just, if I had the choice, that would not be in my expansion. I totally get where you're coming from though.

John

DHS, EPCOT somewhere along the way ( if you look hard enough you can pin point it) TDO lost its way with both parks. IMO AK should have never been built. That money should have been used to update and add to the existing parks. I love AK but in retrospect it doesn't make sense. When AK was built the other two parks were basically left to rot. Now it seems atleast from a fans point of view they have no idea what to do.

DHS still could have been used as a albeit fake studio. Disney could have went so many ways with it. Now the studios are a mere after thought. The grand old Hollywood has went in the same direction. Things that made the park a wonderful experience is now second fiddle.....second fiddle to what? Not sure and I don't think TDO knows either.

EPCOT? WOW we could go round and round on that one. WHat is needed to fix this park isn't as difficult as DHS but yet there it sits half of what it once was. The joke is what is called Futureland....it is more like yesterdays news. SO they are going to redo the Sorin' film....OKAAAAYYYYY then what? That fixes Sorin' but what about the rest of the park?

EPCOT depended on sponsors, this group of management for some reason cant recruit a new futuristic sponsor for some reason. Innovation seems to be a lost quality among this group.

There really isn't any reason to debate any of this, Lets face it we all look at WDW as a theme park. Management looks at it like a P&L sheet. Its no longer a theme park to them...that notion died a long time ago. No they look at it in how they can further their bank accounts and how they can secure a golden parachute at retirement. We can all pontificate all we want to but the sad reality is.....they are going to run this thing this way until a new generation of management comes in and has the desire to. Money isn't the issue in of itself. Its weather they want to spend it on a "theme" park is the issue. Ask yourself this honestly.....who do you think cares more about the parks....you or Mr. Iger?

Bairstow

DHS, EPCOT somewhere along the way ( if you look hard enough you can pin point it) TDO lost its way with both parks. IMO AK should have never been built. That money should have been used to update and add to the existing parks. I love AK but in retrospect it doesn't make sense. When AK was built the other two parks were basically left to rot.

Gotta take issue with that notion.
Right before or after Animal Kingdom was built, MGM got the fleshed-out Sunset Boulevard area with Rock n Rollercoaster and Fantasmic and EPCOT got Test Track and a slew of new upgrades and refreshments for the Millennium Celebration.

It wasn't until after American tourism took a hit following the September 11th attacks that Disney began to temporarily, then permanently cool the development of their Florida parks, long after the tourism industry and the US economy had rebounded.

EpcoTim

I find its very hit or miss. Some people love the Muppets, others don't. I'm ashamed to say...I don't. But thats not to say I would say no to an immersive land! Its just, if I had the choice, that would not be in my expansion. I totally get where you're coming from though.

I get what your saying, just like everything else, it's not for everybody.

But, and here's my thing, that old school border-line adult humor coupled with the controlled insanity just do it.

Plus it's one of the top two acquisitions Disney has made and it can appeal to adults.

John

Gotta take issue with that notion.
Right before or after Animal Kingdom was built, MGM got the fleshed-out Sunset Boulevard area with Rock n Rollercoaster and Fantasmic and EPCOT got Test Track and a slew of new upgrades and refreshments for the Millennium Celebration.

It wasn't until after American tourism took a hit following the September 11th attacks that Disney began to temporarily, then permanently cool the development of their Florida parks, long after the tourism industry and the US economy had rebounded.

In a way I agree, but the key words here are " Right before or after AK was built" That's the oint weather it was right before or right after money and focus shifted toward that park. I agree that 911 was a big part in how and why, but even in the hardest economy Disney was making money.....and still here we sit discussing it. Record breaking profits and we are still wondering where and when will DHS and EPCOT get its much needed attention.

I think that your argument is semantics. I am not dismissing it.....just that I don't think it matters in the big picture.

Bairstow

In a way I agree, but the key words here are " Right before or after AK was built" That's the oint weather it was right before or right after money and focus shifted toward that park. I agree that 911 was a big part in how and why, but even in the hardest economy Disney was making money.....and still here we sit discussing it. Record breaking profits and we are still wondering where and when will DHS and EPCOT get its much needed attention.

I think that your argument is semantics. I am not dismissing it.....just that I don't think it matters in the big picture.

It's not semantics at all.

You stated that Disney diverted attention from EPCOT and MGM because of the effort to build Animal Kingdom.
I'm pointing out that Disney made major creative and monetary investments to expand and improve both those parks at the same time that Animal Kingdom was being built. It was part of an overall strategy aimed at ensuring that families returning to Disney World to see Animal Kingdom would also revisit the three existing parks to see the new attractions that had opened.

It was only after external forces changed the profitability of all the parks that Disney reevaluated and slowed their investment in them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom