Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

TP2000

More to see, more money spent on it, lighting in sync with music, different lighting for each Limo, recent LED and mister system upgrade... as opposed to static wooden cut outs that blink on and blink off.

Fascinating how different Disney properties operate beyond WDW, isn't it? ;)

Last edited:
That's good Cars is a terrible franchise and I think it would be beneficial if it stays exclusive in DCA.

I don't think Cars is a terrible franchise but I don't get why they would want to duplicate it in Orlando. There is so much other material they could use in the Disney Universe, particularly stuff that fits in Hollywood Studios. Why not leave a unique reason to visit DCA and then make a new different reason to want to visit HS, and by extension, WDW?

That Disneyland and MK are often seen as basically the same park is not a good thing, IMO. If I was in Park Management for Disney, my goal would be to make people want to visit both coasts, not think they could get all the really good stuff by visiting one or the other.

Travel Junkie

I don't think Cars is a terrible franchise but I don't get why they would want to duplicate it in Orlando. There is so much other material they could use in the Disney Universe, particularly stuff that fits in Hollywood Studios. Why not leave a unique reason to visit DCA and then make a new different reason to want to visit HS, and by extension, WDW?

That Disneyland and MK are often seen as basically the same park is not a good thing, IMO. If I was in Park Management for Disney, my goal would be to make people want to visit both coasts, not think they could get all the really good stuff by visiting one or the other.

Agreed. Since Carsland has opened DLR's out of town tourist numbers have increased by a good amount and Anaheim hotel occupancy has jumped. Keeping Carsland a west coast exclusive is a good thing for the company as a whole. Sure, there is a certain segment of the population that will never come out west, but there there also enough hard core Disney fans that will come west if they know WDW will not get Carsland.

Star Wars is such a vast universe they can afford to have different versions of a Star Wars land on each coast. Again this encourages people to visit both coasts.

Disney has enough international parks now that they can still clone new lands and attraction to save money while still keeping each stateside park unique. They can clone the same Star Wars land for DLR and Tokyo for example or clone the same Star Wars land for WDW and one of China's parks. Marvel can't be in WDW? Well then clone Marvel at DLR and Hong Kong.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Because when management sees something that is successful, they have a tendency to want to duplicate it to squeeze as much money out of it as possible.

Goofyernmost

I guess if you believe that by keeping certain attractions in specific (across the country) parks people will automatically make some sort of pilgrimage to witness it regardless of ability or opportunity, then I guess "cloning" it would not be a good idea. However, when one thinks of it as a theme park attraction that has no historical reference or importance when it comes to location and one realizes that the people that can actually afford (or whatever) to skip back and forth across the country are limited in nature then it becomes a theory with no base.

Heck, they have a Ferris-wheel in Florida, why would they need one in Oregon. If they want to see one they can just go to Florida. Why did they need ToT in Anaheim, they had one in Orlando didn't they? There are countless examples that I won't bore everyone with, but, that argument just doesn't hold water. If the attraction is of quality and is something that people want to see... we can't always bring Mohammad to the Mountain... in this case we need to bring the Mountain to Mohammad.

When thinking of material that they could use in the "Disney Universe" you are correct, however, they aren't doing that are they? I don't think that they are capable of imagining their way out of an open ended tube anymore. I have lost faith in them. They can no longer create none stop spectacular attractions at WDI. They are no longer capable of spending what is needed to build a spectacular attraction at the Disney upper management level. If we wait for that we will not ever get anything in WDW. Using a previously engineered attraction on a 3000 mile plus gap from one coast to the other, will work for the time being or at least until they manage to pull their collective heads out of the dark depths of their posteriors.

Note: Apparently all the "good" imagineers are now plying their trade up the road at Universal. That would be because Disney management had the extremely good sense to let them all go. Cost cutting would be my guess. This is not your fathers Disney and I doubt ever will be again.

Fox&Hound

Agree again with you. Can we point to all the places were buildings lie empty? Sure. Why are they empty? They went down and nothing was there to take their place and then the closed building just became part of the landscape.
Why was the Hunchback musical show stopped? To enclose the theater. Now it stays empty. Why?
Why is the Adventureland Verandah shuttered? Went to seasonal service and then nothing. Oh Tink now resides there somehow. But they are spending a fortune redoing the exterior. Again, TDO missed the boat when POTC was at its peak. A Jack Sparrow Pirate meal would have brought in both boys and girls. Bibbidee Boutique caters to the girls and most show up at a princess breakfast or dinner meals. Pirates League would fit in perfectly with a Pirate restaurant and sales would be better.
Wonders of Life: Why close it? Get a new sponsor. Now we have it for events like the Marketplace at both Food/Wine and Flower/Garden. Isn't that what the empty spaces at Innoventions is for? Certainly nothing innovative.
Odyssey Restaurant: Again, why is this closed? Noveau American Restaurant that could take two dining coupons? Why not. American Adventure blew their opportunity to build an excellent American cuisine restaurant by adding restrooms. The Odyssey could be a stunner.
SoundStage 1 (hot set): For years and years, this building has been vacant other than a M&G used for Sorceror Mickey before he was moved over to the Animation Building to help draw crowds there. Rumored to be the Monsters Inc. Door Coaster and now not.
Discovery Boat Landings at DAK: Can't a new boat ride go in? Make it more visible. Make it more of a transportation thing instead of a ride. It works for World Showcase.
Germany attraction building: Never got built, but this big building remains. Don't know what is in it, but couldn't it be used for guest purposes?
Monster Sound Studios: Ahem, why run this seasonally only for a week or two a year. It remains empty and used for Jedi Training prep area. It kills me that it is not used. So Drew Carey is no longer the Disney darling he once was. Make a new film and open up the damn attraction. People will come if opened.

I'm sure I missed some but you all get the point.

I agree about Pirates in Adventureland! I never could fathom why they did not capitalize on this more in the parks? Not enough room in the restaurant? Close some of those shops in the area to build out.

I never even realized they had discovery boats at AK until recently (I guess I missed the boat...;) ) With AK hurting for more attractions and more things to do it seems like a no brainer. It's sad to see so many wasted opportunities indeed.

doctornick

So are we going to get anything to replace Cars Land? Or is that back corner just going to stay as is?

I'm wondering this as well. It does sound like some other options are being considered, so something wil eventually go there which might be related to Cars or other Pixar properties, but it sounds like even that is on the back burner. So, I'm guessing LMA/Backlot Tour are going to stay as is for a while until a decision is made.

IMHO, it would be nice if they could add at least 1 or two attractions to expand Pixar Place in the shorter term, like using Soundstage 1 or replacing the HISTK playground.

GLaDOS

I'm wondering this as well. It does sound like some other options are being considered, so something wil eventually go there which might be related to Cars or other Pixar properties, but it sounds like even that is on the back burner. So, I'm guessing LMA/Backlot Tour are going to stay as is for a while until a decision is made.

IMHO, it would be nice if they could add at least 1 or two attractions to expand Pixar Place in the shorter term, like using Soundstage 1 or replacing the HISTK playground.

Yea, if they aren't going to demolish that black hole at the back of the park, the least they can do is build the Monster Coaster.

twebber55

these plans are so fluid i wouldnt bet on any of them.....remember when cars land was for sure happening from reputable people on these boards (and others)....it happens plans change

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom