Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

Fairybuzz

I believe DHS has 6 rides and WDS has 9. Strange I know....

I'm still not saying it is better, but for semantics sake.

1. Great movie Ride
2. Tower of Terror
3. Star Tours
4. R and Rc
5. Tour
6. Toy story
......... hmmmm go figure.

Well WDS kinda dumped a buncha rides in there
1. Cars
2. Aladdin
3. Tower
4. Rock
5. Crush
6. Tram
7. RC
8. Slinky
9. Parachute

hah go figure. Though without toystory land it'd be the same

YES THAT WAS NECESSARY!! before you ask lol.

doctornick

Cars is out. Star Wars is in. Avatar plods along.

Cars was my least favorite of the three, so I'm cool with that. I mean, I like Cars and like Cars Land in DCA, but didn't care much if it came to WDW.

But I have the same question as others -- what does this mean for the LMA/Backlot area? Or the SoA (and Osborne Lights)? Is there going to be any Pixar expansion at all? Perhaps different properties instead of just Cars?

Personally, I'd much prefer that they keep the proposed Cars dark ride and/or Mater's (with the requisite food/merch if desired) and have other Pixar properties added instead -- Monsters Inc, Wall-E, Incredibles, Up, etc. I think a great first step would be to build Star Wars and do the Monsters Door coaster in SS1 at the same time. Once the number of attractions is increased from that, then you work on LMA/Backlot Tour.

Fairybuzz

Cars was my least favorite of the three, so I'm cool with that. I mean, I like Cars and like Cars Land in DCA, but didn't care much if it came to WDW.

But I have the same question as others -- what does this mean for the LMA/Backlot area? Or the SoA (and Osborne Lights)? Is there going to be any Pixar expansion at all? Perhaps different properties instead of just Cars?

Personally, I'd much prefer that they keep the proposed Cars dark ride and/or Mater's (with the requisite food/merch if desired) and have other Pixar properties added instead -- Monsters Inc, Wall-E, Incredibles, Up, etc. I think a great first step would be to build Star Wars and do the Monsters Door coaster in SS1 at the same time. Once the number of attractions is increased from that, then you work on LMA/Backlot Tour.

hmm I think they gotta stop using pixar place as just toy story. Seriously Idk how much room they have but the crush coaster could be filler MG...DHS (dangies!) has only one coaster when It used to be the thrill capital park of the resort (In my stuck in the 90s mind at least). Seas with nemo shoulda been here at least turtle talk. That would make tons of sense since it seems to be more about advanced animation than learning about the sea. Monsters Inc ride could go here (what ever happened to the door coaster? that was a cute idea!) Up, Wall-E, and the Incredibles are barely ever touched for some odd reason. Wall-E (the once pixar char I could see in epcot but they chose Nemo) has little to do with the surroundings. Incredibles could have a really nice thrill ride of some sort. Flying coaster would be my choice but heavily themed. (again prob no room so go with something more compact but NOT!!!! a wild mouse!!!! bleh) Up could be like a house that you go in or something that balences or something (I'm trying!) But still with the amount of movement in that film you'd think they could thing of SOMETHING. Rattatouie could have a restaurant but I would think they would stuff it in the Paris pavilion. Bugs life could take the histk playground if pixar place expanded.

Anyway, The radiator springs racers was never even going to be there in the first place so with that regard (and the fact that it'd make test track superfluous) so the carsland was probably just going to be a restaurant some flat rides and maybe a sub par dark ride. Space would be better used for star wars stuff. If they hadn't built Dinosaur, I'd think the indy ride from Disneyland may have fit in this park in place of the stunt show with a repurposed queue but I'm not a fan of having too rides THAT similar.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Lets bump this thread and watch "insiders" try to explain all these supposed rumors that just...

Haven't panned out yet.

Or been announced.

Where is Carsland? Star Wars land? Anything at DHS?

Maybe something will happen by 2020, I still have hope the "insiders" know what they are talking about.

* Chuckles *

Jimmy Thick- So open ended, something is just bound to happen eventually, and then someone, somewhere will be "right".
It's only been a couple of months... not near enough time for Disney to even put up a fence.

BryceM

1. Great movie Ride
2. Tower of Terror
3. Star Tours
4. R and Rc
5. Tour
6. Toy story
......... hmmmm go figure.

Well WDS kinda dumped a buncha rides in there
1. Cars
2. Aladdin
3. Tower
4. Rock
5. Crush
6. Tram
7. RC
8. Slinky
9. Parachute

hah go figure. Though without toystory land it'd be the same

YES THAT WAS NECESSARY!! before you ask lol.
DHS has higher quality rides though!

doctornick

The rides at DHS are actually very good, they are just far too few. And most aren't very family friendly.

That's why the park simply needs a bunch more rides. A new E-ticket of course would be appreciated, but 3-5 smaller rides that are family friendly would be more of a value to the park. That would help with capacity and keeping people in the park longer.

Fairybuzz

I tend to agree since WDS is using lots of prefab looking flat rides. I always found the lack of great movie ride there takes a lot away from the feel dhs has. Their Rock N rollercoaster also seems less themed (and who's idea was it to make a plywood sign like that? they couldn't make the guitar?) and they used the "stationary" TOT

OSUPhantom

The rides at DHS are actually very good, they are just far too few. And most aren't very family friendly.

That's why the park simply needs a bunch more rides. A new E-ticket of course would be appreciated, but 3-5 smaller rides that are family friendly would be more of a value to the park. That would help with capacity and keeping people in the park longer.

Agreed. It needs a family friendly dark tideZ however where they pull it from. Is a mystery to me.

doctornick

Agreed. It needs a family friendly dark tideZ however where they pull it from. Is a mystery to me.

Honestly, they could make a pretty decent land "on the cheap" just by cloning from other parks:

1. Ratatouille ride from DLP (this is the E-ticket to anchor it) +/- restaurant
2. Mater's jamboree from DLR +/- merch or food
3a. Monsters Inc Door coaster that is slated for DLR (and originally planned for DHS)
3b. alternatively, they could do the Monsters Inc dark ride from TDL (preferably) or DLR (still fine)
4. One of the Bug's land rides from DLR -- maybe the Ladybug teacups one

I know people around here dislike clones, but these are some simple options that could easily be built on the existing footprint (I bet they could do all this just using Soundstage 1 and the Backlot Tour space and preserve LMA) and provide a much needed expansion of rides. And make it a true "Pixar Place" that celebrates multiple franchises.

Last edited:

BryceM

I tend to agree since WDS is using lots of prefab looking flat rides. I always found the lack of great movie ride there takes a lot away from the feel dhs has. Their Rock N rollercoaster also seems less themed (and who's idea was it to make a plywood sign like that? they couldn't make the guitar?) and they used the "stationary" TOT
Yeah, their Rock 'n' Roller Coaster does seem worse. I would take our cardboard cut-outs of Los Angeles/Hollywood over the crazy light show any day. But that's just me.

Goofyernmost

Honestly, they could make a pretty decent land "on the cheap" just by cloning from other parks:

1. Ratatouille ride from DLP (this is the E-ticket to anchor it) +/- restaurant
2. Mater's jamboree from DLR +/- merch or food
3a. Monsters Inc Door coaster that is slated for DLR (and originally planned for DHS)
3b. alternatively, they could do the Monsters in dark ride from TDL (preferably) or DLR (still fine)
4. One of the Bug's land rides from DLR -- maybe the Ladybug teacups one

I know people around here dislike clones, but these are some simple options that could easily be built on the existing footprint (I bet they could do all this just using Soundstage 1 and the Backlot Tour space and preserve LMA) and provide a much needed expansion of rides. And make it a true "Pixar Place" that celebrates multiple franchises.
OMG, No, not a clone. Anything but a clone. I mean if you try and clone something you will disrupt all of nature and somehow prevent the forces from creating a reason to travel from coast to coast. Course, many people have many reasons why they can't travel from coast to coast, but that's their problem. I mean it's alright to clone something from WDW and build it in DL because, well, DL is the home planet and therefore is worthy of experiencing everything locally so that all the beautiful people from California don't have to mingle with the overweight, toothless, sister marrying, tobacco chewing, ETV riding Rubes from the east-coast. Eeeewwww! Whatever! But I digress!

Anyway, I believe it is someplace in the constitution where our fore fathers, (not our four fathers) prohibited copying an attraction and putting it in WDW. One of the lesser known amendments to the constitution, maybe the 2.77nd amendment, that prohibits Disney from doing anything that might lessen the chances that we will continuously travel from coast to coast.

Pay no attention to the above paragraph, must be something I drank had for lunch. Move along, nothing to see here. :angelic::oops:

herc

And oddly, that might be the best thing FOR Disney. If enough people like you - people who love Disney - start going elsewhere for family vacations, maybe Disney will finally wise up and start remembering who they are (to borrow a phrase from The Lion King): that they're part of a company with a legacy of innovation and top-drawer quality, and if those things aren't implemented with their new products, then consumers (and especially park guests) will go elsewhere. Disney isn't the only game in town anymore. It makes you wonder how long it'll take before that lesson really sinks in.
I completely agree with you! My family has visited Disneyworld every year and sometimes twice a year. It seemed mundane and kinda boring after awhile. Why would we spend 50 minutes in line at Peter Pan or 60 minutes at Space Mountain when we've seen them over and over again. We spend more time at our resort pool, which ironically is what a vacation should be...relaxing).
We then tried Disneyland in Aug. 2012 to see Carsland last year and we were hooked. We bought Premier passes. We loved everything about Disneyland and DCA and Downtown Disney and the resort hotels. All in walking distance. We then took a trip to Disneyworld in Feb. 2013. What a disappointment. Overcrowded as it was Valentines Week, Presidents Weekend, and Mardi Gras...the trifecta! Lines up the wazoo and couldn't get dining reservations ahead of time. Only good thing about the trip was eating at Be Our Guest! But our merchandise spending was WAY down. Most of the stuff I liked we had already purchased at Disneyland from the "One Parks" initiative of blanding down park merchandise. Point is, money was not spent in Disneyworld. We then went back out to Disneyland this past summer within the year to use the APs again. Again, the Disneyland trip blew away our most recent trips to Disneyworld. All we know is that next year we are planning Disneyland again for 4 nights with a big trip to Oahu (Waikiki Beach) for 3 nights and Aulani for 7 nights. Disneyworld is not on the map until 2015 if then as Disneyland will be celebrating the 60th.
Who knows how big brother works. Disney may know that we have stopped going to WDW. I live on the east coast, why is he going out west?
Hmmm, let me see, no next gen (yet), less crowded, no pressure to stay on site (even though we did and got looks from CMs when we said we only went to the beach for a half day and the rest of the time was at DL). Lots more park specific merchandise (Carsland, Buena Vista Street had the most different).
TDO has got to get off of their butts and stop the nonsense. Yes there are four parks, two water parks, two mini golfs, a bazillion resorts and DVC resorts plus a huge Downtown Disney area to worry about. But creating unique experiences only found in one of the parks in Florida will only have guest flock to see them. What would make people out west come to Florida? Something different. Not the same attraction that has been dumbed down due to budget cuts.

herc

The list of attractions slated to close as part of this overhaul should not surprise anyone. They are also going to be very cheap to demolish and in one case reuse for a new attraction. At the time I received a snapshot of this project, this list included:

Muppetvision
Backlot Tour
LMA
Indy Stunt Show
Honey Playground

There are also some dining locations that will cease to operate in their current form and will be reused in the new development. This list includes:

Backlot Express: new Cantina?
Sci Fi Dine In: Noooooooo!
Mama Melroses: Make it Swedish Chef retheme.
Muppetvision: Wish it would stay. Add another smaller attraction, retheme Mama Melrose's to Swedish Chef.
Backlot Tour: BuhBye
LMA: Done with it. Very expensive to run. Lots of valuable land to use.
Indy Stunt Show: Should be revamped. Add Temple of Forbidden Eye or something like it. We own the Franchise people. Use it.
Honey Playground: Yay! Still feel that A Bug's Life area should be nearer to Pixar Place.

Pretty sure Pizza Planet is history also. That needs to be moved to Pixar Place area anyway.

herc

That's the question/concern -- will something go in their place? We all can see the Wonders of Life Pavilion when we ae at Epcot. There's also the point of how long they would be down. The theater for BatB could be reset for a new show in weeks if they wanted to, but if it is down for months, the rationale would be to save money by not running a show.
Agree again with you. Can we point to all the places were buildings lie empty? Sure. Why are they empty? They went down and nothing was there to take their place and then the closed building just became part of the landscape.
Why was the Hunchback musical show stopped? To enclose the theater. Now it stays empty. Why?
Why is the Adventureland Verandah shuttered? Went to seasonal service and then nothing. Oh Tink now resides there somehow. But they are spending a fortune redoing the exterior. Again, TDO missed the boat when POTC was at its peak. A Jack Sparrow Pirate meal would have brought in both boys and girls. Bibbidee Boutique caters to the girls and most show up at a princess breakfast or dinner meals. Pirates League would fit in perfectly with a Pirate restaurant and sales would be better.
Wonders of Life: Why close it? Get a new sponsor. Now we have it for events like the Marketplace at both Food/Wine and Flower/Garden. Isn't that what the empty spaces at Innoventions is for? Certainly nothing innovative.
Odyssey Restaurant: Again, why is this closed? Noveau American Restaurant that could take two dining coupons? Why not. American Adventure blew their opportunity to build an excellent American cuisine restaurant by adding restrooms. The Odyssey could be a stunner.
SoundStage 1 (hot set): For years and years, this building has been vacant other than a M&G used for Sorceror Mickey before he was moved over to the Animation Building to help draw crowds there. Rumored to be the Monsters Inc. Door Coaster and now not.
Discovery Boat Landings at DAK: Can't a new boat ride go in? Make it more visible. Make it more of a transportation thing instead of a ride. It works for World Showcase.
Germany attraction building: Never got built, but this big building remains. Don't know what is in it, but couldn't it be used for guest purposes?
Monster Sound Studios: Ahem, why run this seasonally only for a week or two a year. It remains empty and used for Jedi Training prep area. It kills me that it is not used. So Drew Carey is no longer the Disney darling he once was. Make a new film and open up the damn attraction. People will come if opened.

I'm sure I missed some but you all get the point.

cookiee_munster

what with the hold on any marvel super hero type attractions built in orlando, im stumped as to why disney hasn't created an incredibles based attraction.

one mentioned ages ago about the family visiting walt disney world and all chaos ensues sounded great! if it were some kind of 5D experience like spiderman i would have loved to have seen disney world all pixar-fied :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom