Votes: 22 20.0%
  • Don't need/want all those perks.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 28 25.5%

• Total voters

WDWmazprty

Original Poster
The DVC is a great way to take in all things Disney as far as vacation goes. Of course, a lot of people still havent bought into it, and for various reasons.

Those who are part of it, love it.

So,if you're not a part of DVC, why???

Let us know. :wave:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We did the tour twice and really wanted to join but the numbers never really panned out for us. We do multiple short trips every year that always include a weekend. Also we are quite content with the value and moderate resorts.

captainkidd

This to me is always a fun discussion. I'm not Pro or Anti DVC. That being said, I go to Disney twice a year, and spend a total of 23-30 nights there per year. Everyone always asks, why don't we join?

I've looked into DVC every which way possible. There's a few reasons we haven't joined:

1.For the amount of nights we stay, and for the amount of people we have (5), we'd need an extreme amount of points. The total cost is one thing, but the dues on top would be something else.

2.It's true - You can skip a year and bank points. However, even if you do, you still have to pay dues for the year. Why would I want to pay for something I'm not using?

3.Vacations are a luxury, not a necessity. We're very lucky that right now we can afford to take vacations. However, heaven forbid something happens that we lose any of our income, I don't want to be tied down to a payment.

4.I like daily housekeeping.

5.I don't like villa style accomadations.

6.DVC is a set price. No discounts ever. I haven't paid rack rate on a room at Disney in over 5 years.

7.The point system is more confusing than just regular room only booking.

8.Kind of silly, but I HATE DVC's motto - "The freedom to vacation when you want, for as long as you want." Why the hell do I need DVC for that?

ddrongowski

The club is to limited, I do not like being limited to when and where I go. They do not do anything that is compatible with the way I take my Disney vacations. Plus I like having my room cleaned EVERY day.

devoy1701

We heavily thought of it...and will probably join in the future, but we had shifted our priorities to:

1. Buy a house - Check
  2. Buy a vacation cabin in the Smokies
  3. Buy DVC
The other thing that turns me off is the knowledge that 10-15 years ago the points cost half of what they cost now...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This to me is always a fun discussion. I'm not Pro or Anti DVC. That being said, I go to Disney twice a year, and spend a total of 23-30 nights there per year. Everyone always asks, why don't we join?

I've looked into DVC every which way possible. There's a few reasons we haven't joined:

1.For the amount of nights we stay, and for the amount of people we have (5), we'd need an extreme amount of points. The total cost is one thing, but the dues on top would be something else.

2.It's true - You can skip a year and bank points. However, even if you do, you still have to pay dues for the year. Why would I want to pay for something I'm not using?

3.Vacations are a luxury, not a necessity. We're very lucky that right now we can afford to take vacations. However, heaven forbid something happens that we lose any of our income, I don't want to be tied down to a payment.

6.DVC is a set price. No discounts ever. I haven't paid rack rate on a room at Disney in over 5 years.

8.Kind of silly, but I HATE DVC's motto - "The freedom to vacation when you want, for as long as you want." Why the hell do I need DVC for that?
This was one of the biggest factors making DVC not the best deal for us as well. I too have a party of 5 and our family would have had to use a 2br villa for every trip. The price on one of those compared to a standard room at PORS was insane. Sure we would have gotten quite a bit more but we did not need it.

Pioneer Hall

I recently made my purchase to join DVC (bought AKL resale since I saved over 30 dollars a point as opposed to going through Disney). I'll be honest and say that my family spoiled me with deluxe stays over the years, and it was something that I didn't want to give up in the future. I had the money to completely pay out for the 200 points I wanted, and I figured that now I only have to worry about the dues (which will continue to be less than the cost of a similar room).

I think the major factor for people is the room vs resort argument. If you use your room as a place to sleep, then DVC isn't really for you. As Richard said, he is very content with value and moderate resorts because that works for his family. If that is your vacation preference, then DVC isn't a good value for you. After all my trips to Disney now, I find myself spending more time enjoying the ammenities of my resort. I like to relax, spend time at the pool, and take in the other offerings of the resorts. The deluxe resorts offer me things that I enjoy, so I decided that I might as well lock in on my purchase now and be able to enjoy it into my 70's if I choose. In the worst case scenario, I can always sell my property. I won't make nearly the money I spent a few years down the road, but there is always a way for me to alleviate myself from the dues if I have to.

I think another imporant factor is money management. As odd as it may seem, DVC is an emotional purchase. Disney completely recognizes this and markets it that way, which can cause some people to not think through the process. You will see a lot of people who finance big contracts and find their dreams ruined through the costs they have to pay. Each person has their own thoughts on spending their money, but I agree with many when I think that vacations are luxury items. If I wasn't able to pay outright on my contract, I wouldn't have purchased. I believe that only neccesities should be finance (car, house, school) and luxury items should be a save and buy. Of course, each person differs on this, but it is important to take it all into consideration when you are making your decision. Disney is banking on you to think with your heart and not with your head sometimes.

captainkidd

This was one of the biggest factors making DVC not the best deal for us as well. Our family would have had to use a 2br villa for every trip and the price on one of those compared to a standard room at PORS was insane. Sure we would have gotten quite a bit more but we did not need it.

Exactly.

I think DVC is ideal for a couple with no kids, or a family of 3 or 4, who want to go to Disney once a year for 5-7 nights, and likes to stay Deluxe.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Exactly.

I think DVC is ideal for a couple with no kids, or a family of 3 or 4, who want to go to Disney once a year for 5-7 nights, and likes to stay Deluxe.
That is pretty much the ideal situation and we just did not fit the mold. I have to hate for DVC. If you fit that mold it is an incredible value.

mickeysshoes

I agree 110% We are on vacation..dont what to clean.....(for the most part) and I dont want to feel like I HAVE to cook meals while staying in a villa style unit...Again on vacation and dont want to cook...and its cost more point to get a room in the Lodge instead of the Villas. We would need to purchase a HUGE amount.

Pioneer Hall

Exactly.

I agree here...with up to 4 people, DVC is a good deal. The studios are a good value and if you can travel in off times you can get two weeks for your money. My 200 points will easilly get me two weeks with the way I can travel now. And since I won't have older school age kids for quite some time, I don't have to start thinking about the possible add-ons yet for higher cost seasons.

foreverbelle

I am a member, and just wanted to say you all have very valued points. We thought long and hard about the decision before we bought into it for many of the reasons that you guys have listed. But one of the biggest factors for us-and yes I give you permission to laugh if you want-was it would force my husband to actually take a vacation on a yearly-or every other if nec.-basis. Before our honeymoon, he never took any vacation. He just didn't think it was necessary to do so. I will say, he also works for a major sports team that runs for the better part of the year. After the honeymoon he mentioned how he really needed that, and never knew it. And the only way that he would ever do vacations was if he was forced. The DVC gave us the opportunity to vacation when we needed, and to fit the schedule around the NHL schedule and yet force him to actually step away from the quest for the cup every now and then.

While this wasn't the only reason, it was a big factor for us.

devoy1701

I recently made my purchase to join DVC (bought AKL resale since I saved over 30 dollars a point as opposed to going through Disney). I'll be honest and say that my family spoiled me with deluxe stays over the years, and it was something that I didn't want to give up in the future. I had the money to completely pay out for the 200 points I wanted, and I figured that now I only have to worry about the dues (which will continue to be less than the cost of a similar room).

I think the major factor for people is the room vs resort argument. If you use your room as a place to sleep, then DVC isn't really for you. As Richard said, he is very content with value and moderate resorts because that works for his family. If that is your vacation preference, then DVC isn't a good value for you. After all my trips to Disney now, I find myself spending more time enjoying the ammenities of my resort. I like to relax, spend time at the pool, and take in the other offerings of the resorts. The deluxe resorts offer me things that I enjoy, so I decided that I might as well lock in on my purchase now and be able to enjoy it into my 70's if I choose. In the worst case scenario, I can always sell my property. I won't make nearly the money I spent a few years down the road, but there is always a way for me to alleviate myself from the dues if I have to.

I think another imporant factor is money management. As odd as it may seem, DVC is an emotional purchase. Disney completely recognizes this and markets it that way, which can cause some people to not think through the process. You will see a lot of people who finance big contracts and find their dreams ruined through the costs they have to pay. Each person has their own thoughts on spending their money, but I agree with many when I think that vacations are luxury items. If I wasn't able to pay outright on my contract, I wouldn't have purchased. I believe that only neccesities should be finance (car, house, school) and luxury items should be a save and buy. Of course, each person differs on this, but it is important to take it all into consideration when you are making your decision. Disney is banking on you to think with your heart and not with your head sometimes.

Thank you for your post. If you don't mind, I might reach out to you when it comes time for us to want to purchase. I'm very interested in the resale idea...as i mentioned, one of the things that bother me about DVC is how expensive it has gotten over the past few years because it's become such a hot commodity. Saving $30/point sounds great and it would be nice to have a few more options than just dealing with Disney.

How much to those DVC guys let you haggle on the price per point anyway? and are the fees negotiable with them as well or are those a set figure based on your resort?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
We took the tour in May, and came very close to buying ourselves. I think the only thing that held us back was the down payment we were looking at making, and the fact we still had two car payments on the books. Once we've knocked those out next year we'll end up joining. Not just for stays at WDW, but DL, the various Disney resorts, and the international opportunities as well. Of course, now that we know about the savings in the resale market, I think that will be the route we end up taking.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thank you for your post. If you don't mind, I might reach out to you when it comes time for us to want to purchase. I'm very interested in the resale idea...as i mentioned, one of the things that bother me about DVC is how expensive it has gotten over the past few years because it's become such a hot commodity. Saving $30/point sounds great and it would be nice to have a few more options than just dealing with Disney.

How much to those DVC guys let you haggle on the price per point anyway? and are the fees negotiable with them as well or are those a set figure based on your resort?
Things might have changed in the 4 or 5 years since we looked into it but back then there was no haggling when buying from Disney. They might run a promotion or two but there was no negotiation on the price. About the best analogy I can think of is it was like buying a new Saturn. You paid sticker price....end of story.

Resale is a different matter but Disney will not allow for a DVC contract to be sold below a certain level.

irmonkey

It's pretty much the money for me. The other concessions do not really bother me (except for maybe the daily housekeeping).

Pioneer Hall

Feel free to reach out...I am always happy to discuss these issues so people make informed decisions that they won't later regret.

Again, as Richard stated (I find myself saying that a lot about the master) you cannot haggle with Disney on the pricing. Whatever price and incentive they give you is bottom line and there is no way around that. Resale contracts though can be negotiated with the seller since Disney has nothing to do with them until the ROFR stage. For example, I was able to get my seller to cover all of my maintenance costs for the year which saved me about $1,000. However, Disney can exercise their right of refusal during their review process if they deem the contract to be too good for them to pass up. In this market though, it seems that only BCV contracts are having that done.

sublimesting

We did the tour twice and really wanted to join but the numbers never really panned out for us. We do multiple short trips every year that always include a weekend. Also we are quite content with the value and moderate resorts.

That's our exact scenario, we did the tour twice, and it always sounds so exciting and we almost pull the trigger but we are fine with values, one year we may splurge for a deluxe or something but most of our time is in the parks. The thing is in the long run it would be cheaper but one thing kind of makes it even out, annual fees for maintenance etc. and we like to go to Myrtle Beach every year and camp and wouldn't necessarilly use all of our points.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
We will in the future without question. At the moment we cannot afford it, but in the next few years I am positive we will be happy DVC members!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom