Why Didn't This Happen?!?

Timmay

I found this on Screamscape included in an article about the Magic Kingdom movie:

A decade ago it’s been said Disney Imagineers, tasked to create something to blow Spiderman out of the water, had come up with a new and improved version of the Great Movie Ride. The rumors say the idea was to have guests ride around in the Chinese Theater as it is known today, a large multiplex theater, where they would encounter various heroes and villains from famous Hollywood films, who would cross-over and clash with each other. One famous possible finale scene proposed involved having the guests saved from Darth Vader’s lightsaber by a whip wielding Indiana Jones who distracted Vader long enough for you to escape back out through the movie screen.

This would be a fantastic new E-ticket that would help make Hollywood Studios a much better park. Hopefully if this Magic Kingdom movie happens, this plan might be re-visited...

Why didn't it happen?

Because it would have been down right silly!!

Tom

Beta Return
You're arguing semantics to be argumentative. The films' relevance to pop-culture is what is "dated".

I wasn't trying to be argumentative, jt04 -er, I mean fosse76.

But if that "Hollywood of the past" is unrecognizable to guests, what's the point? Contrary to the attitudes and opinions of many of the posters on this board, Walt Disney World is NOT a musuem. The purpose of the parks is to provide family entertainment. And unfortunately for the people who like to live in the past, what qualifies as entertaining changes over time. Whether or not GMR is no longer relevant isn't in my expertise, but if and when it's popularity becomes non-existent because of the show scenes, calling it a "classic" isn't any reason to keep it the same. And while the updates to The Enchanted Tiki Room were an obvious fail, that doesn't mean changes weren't needed.

So, you're saying they should also get rid of Snow White and Peter Pan too, by that logic. Those movies are as old as, if not older than, several of the movies showcased in the GMR. If someone doesn't remember Alien or Indiana Jones or Fantasia, they surely won't remember Peter Pan or Snow White either.

:rolleyes:

Relevance is relative.

slappy magoo

Maybe they should take a page from the original plans of Pop Century, move some things around and have two versions of the ride on-property. A "Classic Years" Great Movie Ride that focuses more on the first 50-60 years of filmmaking, and then a "modern years" ride that focuses on the latter half of Hollywood's history. It would make more sense to have stuff like Alien and Raiders in a "Modern Years" section (though I'm sure plenty of you whippersnappers will argue it's teh old skool :D ), but I suppose you could start a "modern years" ride in the early 80s, post "Raiders," And the film at the end of the original GMR could act as some sort of bridge or tease for the "modern years," as if to say "what was, evolves into what is." And then, have a tease for the original GMR at the end of the "modern years" GMR as if it were a prequel: "See how it all began."

lazyboy97o

Even an update to the movie theater film would be nice. There is so much material available, and if you have to wait through the theater you see the same clips about 10 times. Why not load up the film with about 30-45 minutes of material so it doesn't repeat so often.
Quoted for truth. I understand they were going for a direct correlation between the trailers and the ride, but it makes the theater a total dud. The biggest problem now is that Disney may not be willing to add much more than films for the Disney-owned library.

wolf359

I'm curious why "relevant" has to equal "modern" when it applies to this attraction?

The Great Movie Ride's content wasn't chosen at random. Even when the park opened most of those films were quite old, but they were then, as they are today, still good examples of classic filmmaking. But more importantly, they tie in with the theme of the park, and the era it's trying to evoke.

The park was designed to be a tribute to the golden age of Hollywood and the films it produced. That's why the Boulevards and Echo Lake are set in the 1930s...it's meant to be a tribute to that era. As the headline attraction of Hollywood Studios, The Great Movie Ride a ride-through tribute to the films from that period.

To tear out some of the classic films and install newer film scenes in their place in order to appease visitors with a limited appreciation for film's history (not to mention the sense of place and time the park is trying to provide) would be unfortunate.

Chip'N'Dale Fan

I love the concept of the GMR - and it is entertaining. But I also think there's potential room for improvement. For instance, the Alien segment seems to be overly long, (for suspense reasons, I'm sure) and doesn't offer repeat riders any interesting details to look at along the way. I'd also like to see a new intro scene with some punch - 'Footlight Parade' doesn't really get it done.

RSoxNo1

This was one of the projects planned around the time Islands of Adventure opened as an attempt to get people back to Disney. The problem was, Islands of Adventure didn't hurt Disney at all, and in the end this wasn't built.

blueberetta86

I really hate to do this because I hate when people on here get into nitpick mode, but I rode GMR when we were on vacation last month and it needs some serious TLC.

First off, the leaves on all of the palm trees in the loading area are dying, it's pretty unsightly. The car that drives out in the gangster scene wasn't working and made it really awkward when our gangster was having a shootout with something that was supposed to be there but clearly wasn't. The alien that comes out of the wall on the right wasn't working, which made the Alien segment feel really flat. The scene where the gangster grabs for the jewel was a bust too, because the fog that shoots out was so thin that you could see right through to see the wall spin around. Lastly, and possibly most offensive was our performers were the worst I've ever experienced. They both were expressionless and seemed very tired. The gangster character actually mostly just seemed embarrassed that half the ride was broken.

Kamikaze

Actually, all of the above could exist. Disney already has the theme park rights for Lucasfilm's properties. Just by using their own and Lucus's creations, a good attraction can be made.

Just because they have the rights doesn't mean they can use them however they want. Lucas would need to approve of any use. And an Indy vs Vader permanent scene? I doubt very seriously that he would even consider approving that.

pax_65

Disney execs must love the die-hard fans who don't want to see any changes to their favorite attractions. This allows Disney to wipe the dust off tired attractions year after year without any major updates, improvements or replacements - and still these fans remain happy.

I don't mean to sound bitter, but the magic is fading a bit for me. When I first rode Spiderman I was so excited to see how Disney would respond - what new technology would Disney counter Spiderman with? That was over 10 years ago. I'm still waiting.

Now Universal has upped the ante with Harry Potter. We're going to WDW in May... this year instead of our usual tactic of buying Disney annual passes on day 1 (to use for this year's trip and next year's trip) we're going to start at Universal and take it from there. I expect my kids to be so blown away by Spiderman and Potter that they will want to go back for multiple days. Whatever happens, there's no doubt that Universal is going to get some of my money this trip, and I expect they will continue to do so until Disney puts some much needed money into their parks.

Disneyfanman

I lovethe GMR too. I think the films are well chosen and represent the various types of films with classic examples. Horror/Sci-Fi? What better than Alien which changed films of its type forever. Adventure? Indy. Gangster and Western flicks? I really can't think of any better examples than the ones chosen.

For me, it's the technology that has passed the attraction by. Update some of the AAs, and add some modern SFX magic. Make the attraction seem new again, without changing the concept of most of the set pieces. Keep the finale updated.

Change out displays in the entrance regularly.

The first room is the weakest imho, but it's more due to execution than the examples for me.

I love love love the gangster and western interactive scenes.........when they are working.

This could still be a must see. Disney is missing something special here.

But a major change out? No way.

WDWfanatic89

to be quite honest, all of DHS looks dated. The whole thing looks like a time capsule of the late 80's early 90's. Nothing wrong with that. Star Tours is the first BIG thing since Hollywood Blvd. to be done. The backlot is NOTHING like what it used to be. As cool as it is, a Carsland back there would be EPIC. the Monsters Inc. Coaster is not a "needed" attraction and Carsland would be a much better Phase 1 then another coaster. The park in general needs a good slap and update. But if they get rid of Walt's personal plane, I'll be more then happy to take that ;-) LOL.

daikonjam

Whenever I go on the GMR we always say "Got that done, not doing it again" but the next trip we always go on it for the air conditioning, unless it's nice out.

But really, other than a few of the most well known scenes, they could throw in some more modern movies, even some from the 90's would appease me. I'm almost 18 and i haven't seen a couple of those.

WDWfanatic89

well, maybe its time you see the older classics ;-)

the only thing i would want changed in GMR is to have a LONGER Mary Poppins scene. That's one of my favorite Disney movies, and would love to see a more elaborate scene, even its own ride would be cool in the MK. I always thought it would be neat, something with the same ride technology as Peter Pan.

again. just my 2 cents.

JohnnyDollaz89

I think they should update the GMR to newer movies and make it more fun, i mean i love it now its my favorite ride but its time for an updated version with a new story

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
It's funny how Disney has planned to replace GMR several times, as well as attempted to clone it for California several times. Neither has happened yet. The fact is GMR isn't the draw it once was and is still suppose to be. Major changes need to happen. The question is will they come in the form of a brand new attraction or just some major refurbishment and updates. Whatever the case may be, GMR needs to be refreshed sooner rather than later.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom