Why close Snow White?

misterID

You know, people can talk about P&TF all they want and how it didn't make a lot of money (which it did) but that movie was MADE to be a ride.

David S.

I don't know if there will be any official ceremony at the closing, but I will definitely be there with my son that night right up until closing. I've been on that thing nearly 3,400 times with him. It's going to be a very sad night.

It will be a very, very sad night for me as well, as the current Snow White ride is one of my favorite attractions in all of WDW.

I sincerely hope you and your son get to ride as much as possible and get a sense of closure before it closes; and I also hope you are able to get the very last ride on the last night, if you wish it.

David

herc

Disneylands looks so much better with much more detail and a more excitng authentic castle style ..WDW's looks cheap

Disneyland's area represents all the different structures from the movies. With WDW's version, it is part of the castle structure.

The attractions/buildings inside the castle walls (that are being built) are IASW, Peter Pan, Pinocchio Village Haus, Princess Fantasy Faire and Pooh. The one I would hope they would make some VERY MINOR exterior changes to would be Pooh. Just get rid of the few turrets there and the stone and at least there is a 100 Acre Wood area.

It seems like they are making an Alice area on the border of Tomorrowland with the newly renamed Cheshire Cat eatery and Tea Cups.

herc

Yeah. Really, Snow White deserves a better ride than the Scary Adventures. And finally...she's getting one. :sohappy:

And hopefully, someday...Peter Pan will too. His ride, as it is, still retains charm (thanks to the vision of Walt and the original Imagineers)...but it is still very dated. I think its popularity certainly warrants giving the ride a major upgrade. If done properly, it could be amazing. Here's hoping...

Ah, how is Peter Pan dated? It recreates the movie. It never has under a 20 minute wait, even on slow days.

With the Dwarfs Mine Train coming, the movie will be represented. That is what matters. They could always change SWSA to Pinocchio's Daring Journey from DL. But I think it is wise to take the SWSA and change it to a Princess Meet and Greet. Although I do like having the princesses all over the park instead of in a Princess Super Center. Cinderella has her place at the castle, but I'm pretty sure you have to eat there to get in line (although she also appears at the Grand Floridian at the same time, hmmmm?). I love the idea of Tiana (and Naveen) in the Gazebo in Liberty Square. Jasmine and Aladdin need a better area in Adventureland. I am accepting the new building for a Belle meet and greet. Ariel, I believe, will have her own meet and greet near her attraction. And I see that Rapunzel will be taking over an area where the skyway station used to be. They don't all have to be in one arena. Pocohantas should have some area in Frontierland. So this really only leaves Snow White and Aurora at the Super Center. How's that going to work?

I still say that an area somewhere in Fantasyland should be set aside for Pixie Hollow. The one they did in DL is beautiful and there is more available land in WDW. Agree with cancelling the bigger area in the New Fantasyland, but a smaller area would have been great even if it only had one ride, shop and a meet and greet. The area at night would have been spectacular.

bethymouse

Mr. Toad

In my humble opinion, the Walt Disney World version of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was superior to Snow White's Scary Adventures.

My family and I won't miss this ride at all.

I remeber MTWR:) That one scared me too as a little kid:ROFLOL: I think the person who said they were using some of the animatronics from SWSA in the new Mine ride might be correct?:shrug:

erasure fan1

You know, people can talk about P&TF all they want and how it didn't make a lot of money (which it did) but that movie was MADE to be a ride.

I said that as soon as I finished the movie. P&TF was one of Disneys best animated films in my opinion, and regardless of what it did at the box office it deserves a ride. Just about every scene in the movie screamed show scene for a ride. But oh well, a meet and great is pretty freakin awesome too! :rolleyes:

Wilt Dasney

For the folks whose main concern is that Disney is closing a ride that's been in the park since opening day...they already did that, almost 20 years ago.

The current Snow White ride is a completely different animal from the one that opened in 1971. They share a source movie, and not much else. It really doesn't make a lot of sense to refer to them as the same ride, any more than we'd call Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and Winnie the Pooh the same attraction just because they shared a building.

In a way, you could say that this is the second time that the Magic Kingdom will close a Snow White ride and replace it with a different one. The only difference is that this third Snow White ride won't be located in the same building as the first and second ones were.

And by the way, the same thing is true in Disneyland, where the original Snow White ride was replaced by a very different version in the 1980s.

drew81

I don't know if there will be any official ceremony at the closing, but I will definitely be there with my son that night right up until closing. I've been on that thing nearly 3,400 times with him. It's going to be a very sad night.

WOW! 3400 times? That's awesome! :)

Maybe you can start a new streak once the Mine Coaster opens??

In a way, you could say that this is the second time that the Magic Kingdom will close a Snow White ride and replace it with a different one. The only difference is that this third Snow White ride won't be located in the same building as the first and second ones were.

Definitely true there.

Lokheed

WOW! 3400 times? That's awesome! :)

Maybe you can start a new streak once the Mine Coaster opens??

Nah, he's not going to like the mine coaster at all, I am almost certain. But I think he is going to LOVE the Little Mermaid ride when it opens.

fngoofy

Snow White is one of Disney's worst dark rides...they have revamped it once to try to make it make sense, and even that wasn't successful. It's just painted flats that reenact a handful of scenes from the movie.

It sends the under 4's screaming into a crying frenzy because it's too scary with the witch...it has virtually no re-ride interest for adults...and the over 12's avoid it like the plague.

It was an easy decision to remove it, especially once they added the Seven Dwarves Mine Train to the FLE...with similar theming.

Thank you for saving me the typing time. Might I add that its capacity is low as well.
I wish they'd do the same with Peter Pan. I'd love the same concept (ride vehicles hanging from the ceiling) but on a 4x scale, going through a plussed up version of the story with real AAs. But since they are improving the queue I guess its another 10-20yrs before that happens.

Lokheed

It sends the under 4's screaming into a crying frenzy because it's too scary with the witch...

Really? Maybe the previous version, sure, where the rider was cast in the role of Snow White and almost the entire ride consisted of you being relentlessly pursued by the witch. But that changed, what, fifteen years ago? They made the ride substantially less scary while at the same time adding the word "Scary" to the ride name.

I have been on SWSA literally thousands of time. I have spent more time on or around that ride than probably any other non- cast member in the world (and for that matter, probably more than the vast majority of cast members as well). I very rarely see young children screaming in terror and crying. It just doesn't happen very often at all.

AEfx

Nah, he's not going to like the mine coaster at all, I am almost certain. But I think he is going to LOVE the Little Mermaid ride when it opens.

I'm really glad to hear Ben is still riding, and will be up until the end. :) I'm really toying with being there that night myself.

Does he know it's closing yet? If so, that must have been a hard conversation to have. At least he'll always be the #1 rider, and no one can break his record. ;)

Lokheed

Does he know it's closing yet? If so, that must have been a hard conversation to have. At least he'll always be the #1 rider, and no one can break his record. ;)

No, he doesn't have any concept of the ride closing. He doesn't understand when a store is closed or when McDonalds can't make fries because they are still serving breakfast. This is probably going to be a very difficult summer.

WED Purist

It could be worse

If you recall, the original plan for the Fantasyland expansion was to have a couple of princess' with their own castles, right where the Mine Train is going. First, for all of the meet and greet haters; it's not a cop-out by Disney, it's something the guests demand (have you seen the line for Tangled??). Just because you don't like them, doesn't mean the rest of the guests don't. Second, the new ride will be a combination of a coaster and a dark ride. We haven't done it before, but it's going to be cool. Third, and trust me on this, a LOT of younger children come off of Snow White's Scary Adventures scared and crying. The research department usually gets either a 1 or a 10 for the ride, and not much in between. Wait until it's finished, you'll like it. Unless you're one of those people around here who finds fault in everything...

erasure fan1

If you recall, the original plan for the Fantasyland expansion was to have a couple of princess' with their own castles, right where the Mine Train is going. First, for all of the meet and greet haters; it's not a cop-out by Disney, it's something the guests demand (have you seen the line for Tangled??). Just because you don't like them, doesn't mean the rest of the guests don't. Second, the new ride will be a combination of a coaster and a dark ride. We haven't done it before, but it's going to be cool. Third, and trust me on this, a LOT of younger children come off of Snow White's Scary Adventures scared and crying. The research department usually gets either a 1 or a 10 for the ride, and not much in between. Wait until it's finished, you'll like it. Unless you're one of those people around here who finds fault in everything...

I guess I would be classified as a meet & greet hater. Here is my problem, if you want to add small spots to meet the characters all around the parks, thats fine. But when you decide to take a perfectly good show building, and not make a new (much needed) small dark ride, then its a cop-out in my book. Meeting the characters is fine, my kids love it, and I love watching them meet them. But not at the expense of new attractions. I know guests love characters, but I also know they like rides more. Just a thought but, maybe the lines for these meet and greets are artificially inflated do to a lack of park capacity? "Well the wait for peter pan and pooh are an hour and a half stand-by and the fast pass window isnt for 3 more hours. Hmm, what should we do? Lets go meet the princesses."

aladdin2007

Word is the ride system will be dismantled according to the epcot encyclopedia site (if true), going to be a long time folks before another attraction ever appears in the space. :shrug: since princesses's are moving into snow white basically permanently lets face it, can we not evict them from Norway yet? uggg.

I want someone to save Dopey though and his wiggle ears at the end, and the mural!!! please? :wave:

tl77

I think the person who said they were using some of the animatronics from SWSA in the new Mine ride might be correct?:shrug:

On the pre-vis video of the Mine Train, the quick sketches of the Dwarfs look very similar to the AAs in the current Snow White's Adventure. Plus it wouldn't be the first time they recycled AA, the "America Sings" characters got drafted into Splash Mountain and Star Tours

The_Mesh_Hatter

It sends the under 4's screaming into a crying frenzy because it's too scary with the witch...

Really? Maybe the previous version, sure, where the rider was cast in the role of Snow White and almost the entire ride consisted of you being relentlessly pursued by the witch. But that changed, what, fifteen years ago? They made the ride substantially less scary while at the same time adding the word "Scary" to the ride name.

I have been on SWSA literally thousands of time. I have spent more time on or around that ride than probably any other non- cast member in the world (and for that matter, probably more than the vast majority of cast members as well). I very rarely see young children screaming in terror and crying. It just doesn't happen very often at all.

Completely agree. I feel bad for all you Walt Disney folks really. Disneyland is my home park, so I see its replacement as an opportunity to ride something unique when I go to the parks. I see the replacement as inferior to the current version (and especially the versions at the other three parks), but am glad there will be a new experience. Still, I'm glad Disneyland's keeping its Snow White.

As west coaster, I do feel bad. Snow White's Scary Adventures is a spectacular, and underappreciated ride. Having ridden all four versions, I do however feel it is the worst of the four, lacking the quirky charm of the Tokyo version, and the perfection of the Anaheim and Paris versions. The ride really adapted Walt Disney's best animated film beautifully. To me, it's Disneyland's most effective rides. Just like the animated film, each scene conveys the story smoothly and in an entertaining matter.

I've been on the Disneyland hundreds of times as well. I go on it at least once during my visits I make several times a month. I once went on the ride 9 times in a day. Nice to see someone who appreciates the ride as much as I.

Just wanted to add my condolences to you WDW'ers. One of the deciding factors to not go to Disney World this summer was the fact that Snow White's Scary Adventures would be closed.

Magenta Panther

Completely agree. I feel bad for all you Walt Disney folks really. Disneyland is my home park, so I see its replacement as an opportunity to ride something unique when I go to the parks. I see the replacement as inferior to the current version (and especially the versions at the other three parks), but am glad there will be a new experience. Still, I'm glad Disneyland's keeping its Snow White.

As west coaster, I do feel bad. Snow White's Scary Adventures is a spectacular, and underappreciated ride. Having ridden all four versions, I do however feel it is the worst of the four, lacking the quirky charm of the Tokyo version, and the perfection of the Anaheim and Paris versions. The ride really adapted Walt Disney's best animated film beautifully. To me, it's Disneyland's most effective rides. Just like the animated film, each scene conveys the story smoothly and in an entertaining matter.

I've been on the Disneyland hundreds of times as well. I go on it at least once during my visits I make several times a month. I once went on the ride 9 times in a day. Nice to see someone who appreciates the ride as much as I.

Just wanted to add my condolences to you WDW'ers. One of the deciding factors to not go to Disney World this summer was the fact that Snow White's Scary Adventures would be closed.

I never got around to riding the SWSA ride at Disneyland, and I've never been to Disneyland Paris. But after reading your comment, I looked up videos of those versions of the ride on Youtube...and holy cow...the queue, the building, the scenes are so much better than in the WDW version! THAT version looks like a cheap carnival ride by comparison! And that really ticks me off. Shame on WDW for not lavishing the same attention to detail in its version. I would have had a higher opinion of it otherwise. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom