Why close Snow White?

disney fan 13

I'm not all that cut up about losing this ride, on the assumption that the new version does indeed turn out better (if not then yeah it sucks). But i am disappointed that the space is being used for another Princess Meet n Greet. I'm hoping this is a temporary thing, but i don't see it being so.

The problem with Snow White at Magic Kingdom is that they never updated it properly to something akin to Disneyland's or Paris'. Both of those are the superior ride experience. And while the update in '94 improved ours a little, they still didn't update it as much as they should have. They squandered the chance to do something better, something that had already been done years ago at the other parks.

And to make it worse, the management at Disney World doesn't even see fit to keep it up to standards, despite being a simple ride with very little in terms of moving parts. When i rode it on Feb 29th, the witch at the mirror scene was partially broken and not moving as she should be.

So all in all, i won't lament the loss of this ride unless the roller coaster turns out to actually be inferior on a show quality level. I am disappointed that it's not being used for better devices than yet another meet and greet though.:hurl:

This is my reply

kucarachi

Don't forget as lovable as snow white was...she still commited B&E and thats just the wrong message to send to kids. Yeah maybe you might get lucky and end up in a house full of charismatic midgets but that's a long shot in todays modern world.
I didn't find it a must see attraction, more of a if the line is less than 5 min kinda ride, just like alice in wonderland in DL. I think the novelty of making little kids scared is a fun idea and might shut up your mouthy little one for at least a couple minutes but its not PC to do that anymore. Meet and greets are cheap entertainment, they employ real people and are more personable than some rickity wooden trees that smell likes sears weatherstrip paint...

in closing i would like to say that no little people were harmed during this commentary.

Crazy Harry

Everyone, I see what you mean. But there are plenty of people out there who just love this ride. Don't ride it like a grown-up, ride it like a 2 year old. Considering that is exactly what age group it really is made for. But there was one person who mention that they weren't closing it for a meet and greet, but closing it for the Mine Trains. Well, okay, I see your point. But Snow White herself is less likely to be in that ride. They are closing it and then using that building for a meet and greet. My wife went to Disney as a little kid in the '70s when it first opened. This was her favorite ride. I just don't see the point in closing down this classic ride! To tell you the truth guys, everyone I have seen reply here that hate this classic are the same people who hate my second favorite ride at Disney, Stitch's Great Escape! Like I said, though, don't ride this like a grown-up, ride it like a 2 year old.

You want us to run out of the ride screaming and crying? :lol:

Seriously though, that is part of the problem as others have pointed out. Many small children are frightened by the ride, and people are likely deceived by the exterior thinking it is a tame ride when it is pretty intense for younger audiences (I know it says scary in the name, but most people don't read). And while I like the ride, many don't and it has low ridership compared to other fantasyland dark rides.

I do however hope they decide to use SWSA building for a new dark ride in the future. I see no reason why they couldn't. Sleeping Beauty or 101 Dalmations would be great to me.

HMButler79

Don't forget as lovable as snow white was...she still commited B&E and thats just the wrong message to send to kids. Yeah maybe you might get lucky and end up in a house full of charismatic midgets but that's a long shot in todays modern world.
I didn't find it a must see attraction, more of a if the line is less than 5 min kinda ride, just like alice in wonderland in DL. I think the novelty of making little kids scared is a fun idea and might shut up your mouthy little one for at least a couple minutes but its not PC to do that anymore. Meet and greets are cheap entertainment, they employ real people and are more personable than some rickity wooden trees that smell likes sears weatherstrip paint...

in closing i would like to say that no little people were harmed during this commentary.

Anaheim, Paris, and Tokyo called and said they don't care and beg to differ. Please enough with the "Think of the children" crap at MK. The other MKs don't operate like this.

HMButler79

You want us to run out of the ride screaming and crying? :lol:

Seriously though, that is part of the problem as others have pointed out. Many small children are frightened by the ride, and people are likely deceived by the exterior thinking it is a tame ride when it is pretty intense for younger audiences (I know it says scary in the name, but most people don't read). And while I like the ride, many don't and it has low ridership compared to other fantasyland dark rides.

I do however hope they decide to use SWSA building for a new dark ride in the future. I see no reason why they couldn't. Sleeping Beauty or 101 Dalmations would be great to me.

"You remember two things. The things that scare you and the things that make you laugh. Fear is part of growing up. Not milquetoast scary, not cute, but REAL fear! Overcoming that fear makes a child feels he's accomplished something---Imagineer Brock Thoman on the New Fantasyland at DL.

So you see, that was the WHOLE POINT. :brick:

alissafalco

Whats B&E?

erasure fan1

Im a big nostalgia guy but the only issue I see here is the meet & greet. It would have been the perfect opportunity to put in a nice (although short) high quality dark ride and actually increase the ride count since the closing of 20K. But of course the powers that be give us the biggest cop-out Disney has, a meet & greet.

J03Y

as much as i can vouch for it not being a favorite, one still can't just say it isn't a classic, and it's really sad that many people in this thread are saying otherwise... it's a classic, in every sense of the word, it will definitely feel like a part of the old Fantasyland is missing.

RunnerEd

It seems like the show building is big enough to handle a nice M&G AND an expansion, serious upgrade of Pooh next door. Has that been discussed anywhere. I don't know what footprint of the the reportedly incredible version of Pooh in Tokyo is but if it would fit into the present location after knocking a few walls out; very cool!!!!

BigThunderMatt

It seems like the show building is big enough to handle a nice M&G AND an expansion, serious upgrade of Pooh next door. Has that been discussed anywhere. I don't know what footprint of the the reportedly incredible version of Pooh in Tokyo is but if it would fit into the present location after knocking a few walls out; very cool!!!!

Pooh's Hunny Hunt is fairly massive compared to the Pooh attraction at MK. There's no way it could be shoehorned in. Not to mention the technology used in that ride was only used one other time: Aquatopia at Tokyo DisneySea. It was going to be used for Mystic Manor at HKDL but that got scrapped.

RSoxNo1

Pooh's Hunny Hunt is fairly massive compared to the Pooh attraction at MK. There's no way it could be shoehorned in. Not to mention the technology used in that ride was only used one other time: Aquatopia at Tokyo DisneySea. It was going to be used for Mystic Manor at HKDL but that got scrapped.

It could fit if they combined the buildings for The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and Snow White's Scary Adventures

RunnerEd

It could fit if they combined the buildings for The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and Snow White's Scary Adventures

That's kind of what I was getting at. Have the M&G in the front or side of Snow White and expand the Pooh footprint into the back 2/3's of the area. Just a little armchair imagineering.....

bdearl41

Because its not very good, and something better could take its place. Probably wont though, i think just anothe meet and greet is coming, ugh.

bdearl41

Seriously think of the classic rides that are better, Classic ride being over 25 years old.

BTMR, Space mtn, Peter Pan, Small World (i hate to admit that), Jungle Cruise, Pirates,Haunted Mansion, heck even the teacups!

The real crime here is they got rid of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. They need to rebuild that like today!

CoasterSnoop

Original Poster
Im a big nostalgia guy but the only issue I see here is the meet & greet. It would have been the perfect opportunity to put in a nice (although short) high quality dark ride and actually increase the ride count since the closing of 20K. But of course the powers that be give us the biggest cop-out Disney has, a meet & greet.
:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:
Sorry if so many emotions count as spam, but that's how I feel right now.

Mike730

Seriously think of the classic rides that are better, Classic ride being over 25 years old.

BTMR, Space mtn, Peter Pan, Small World (i hate to admit that), Jungle Cruise, Pirates,Haunted Mansion, heck even the teacups!

I agree with this. I understand it stinks to lose a classic ride, but if I had to chose one it would probably be SWSA. Plus, I'm no meet n greet lover by any means, but it makes total sense to put it there.

Walt Disney1955

I've always liked the ride. Its simple, I know, but its a classic dark ride. Maybe a little too short, but ah well.

I am excited to see the Mine Train but do we really need another meet and greet again? Bring back Mr. Toad. Or put in a Lion King dark ride. Or Cindy's, or Sleeping Beauty. Lots to choose from. Wasn't Sleeping Beauty supposed to be an original ride in 1971 but it was scrapped?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Agree that losing this ride really isn't a huge loss, but losing it for a M&G...that's bad.

I like the M&Gs that have been added over the past decade or so, even though I rarely do them. The theming and the organization are nice, plus they ensure that kids know where they can find characters if they want to, in addition to seeing them randomly around the park (I'd love it if the random sightings were increased as well, but they aren't gone, as some would say). But I like the M&Gs because they haven't replaced other attractions -- they've just been added. This one, though, replaces a ride, and that I don't like.

The space should be used for a dark ride -- Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Alice, Pinnochio, Aladdin, or any of a zillion other possibilities.

Some have suggested using the space for an expanded Pooh using Hunny Hunt ride system. Having just ridden that one last month, I'd be up for that as well.

In any event, I hope that the Princesses stay is a short few years, and we get a ride back eventually. Not sure it'll happen though. The "Princess Fantasy Faire" at Disneyland has occupied a rather large piece of real estate for an awfully long time. And it's quite popular.

CoasterSnoop

Original Poster
Agree that losing this ride really isn't a huge loss, but losing it for a M&G...that's bad.

I like the M&Gs that have been added over the past decade or so, even though I rarely do them. The theming and the organization are nice, plus they ensure that kids know where they can find characters if they want to, in addition to seeing them randomly around the park (I'd love it if the random sightings were increased as well, but they aren't gone, as some would say). But I like the M&Gs because they haven't replaced other attractions -- they've just been added. This one, though, replaces a ride, and that I don't like.

The space should be used for a dark ride -- Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Alice, Pinnochio, Aladdin, or any of a zillion other possibilities.

Some have suggested using the space for an expanded Pooh using Hunny Hunt ride system. Having just ridden that one last month, I'd be up for that as well.

In any event, I hope that the Princesses stay is a short few years, and we get a ride back eventually. Not sure it'll happen though. The "Princess Fantasy Faire" at Disneyland has occupied a rather large piece of real estate for an awfully long time. And it's quite popular.

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:
I should really quit with the clapping smiles.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom