Why are some people snobby and poke fun at people who vacation at Disney?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TARDIS

I say you do you and try to ignore people’s opinions . We all have one but we shouldn’t voice it to others because it can come across as rude to ruin their fun. I have traveled to all the continental states but due to my fear of flying I have zero interest in going overseas. Sure,some may feel I’m missing out but Epcot is good enough for me for world travels. And it turns out theme parks are my favorite thing to do! Some have said there is more to life but what if theme parks make me happy in my life?

Not sure why vacations and how another person enjoys them is up for discussion but I hear it all the time with ”you’re going again??!”

SirWillow

I remember back a few years ago some army guard officer guy who has been to vacations in Europe laughed at Disney parks and people who vacation at Disney on some random internet forum.

Why are some people so rude and judgemental? What makes them think that they are better than us?

I think people like that are really unhappy.

The same could be said about some of the people who are active on these boards as well. How dare you enjoy that! Anybody with any sense would feel the same about that ride/ attraction/ show/ cast member/ park as I do.

Want to see it in action? Look at those who post negative things about Universal and how they would never step foot there and who haven't been. Exact same thing.

It's because we're human, we're constantly trying to reinforce ourselves- that we're ok, that we're good, that we have value. And one way some seek to do that is by trying to make others conform to their views and putting them down if they don't.

Or, in short, because people are messed up. 😁

mouse_luv

Because they have nothing better to do with their lives than try to bring down others. Ignore them b/c they don't know what they're missing.

SteveAZee

I remember back a few years ago some army guard officer guy who has been to vacations in Europe laughed at Disney parks and people who vacation at Disney on some random internet forum.

Why are some people so rude and judgemental? What makes them think that they are better than us?

I don't think there's just one reason people are judgmental about a Disney vacation. In my experience, people think of a Disney vacation as:
- just for little kids
- plastic/artificial
- overly sappy and sentimental

For me, the reason I go is (aside from the nostalgia and enjoying seeing my (now) adult children re-experience WDW) is I'm fascinated by the sheer design and engineering that goes into the place. Technology meets artistry meets business on a grand scale. When I tell people why I enjoy my trips there, it make sense to them. In a vacuum, I think people just assume one of more of the things from the list above is why I go. I'll also say that the above reasons are fine by me... it's a vacation that can make you feel good about yourself and (hopefully) humanity, and sometimes it's good to have that refreshed given the world we live in.

Now, about those smokers/strollers/flash photographers... ;)

Sir_Cliff

Nothing wrong with Disney vacations... In moderation.

If Disney is the only place you go, you're selling yourself short IMO. It's a great big, beautiful world out there.
I kind of think it's horses for courses. I'm not super convinced that everyone would be a better person if they vacationed in Paris or Rome once in their life, for example. I certainly don't think Paris or Rome would be better places with everyone in the world coming to visit more often! People like what they like and most of us have limited time and money, so if what makes you happy is going to WDW several times a year then I don't think it makes you a lesser person than someone who travels more widely. Most travel to foreign countries involves visiting a range of sites curated especially for tourist interests, visiting a whole bunch of things we recognise as "typical" from popular culture that are orderly laid out for us in guide books, and generally having an experience that is not a million miles away from marvelling at the authentic theming and sampling the different restaurants of Disney parks.

I'm not someone who visits Disney parks super often (even though I'm not too far from Disneyland Paris) and I do get why some people look down their nose at the parks. For some, I think it's a perception of Disney parks (and Disney more generally) as a big, corporate, artificial, and low brow entertainment for the masses. In other words, it's exactly the kind of place you look down your nose at if you're concerned with establishing your cultural capital and good taste. Not too different from laughing at people who only see super hero movies and don't enjoy the fine delights of independent French cinema.

Personally, I am happy to leave those people to indulge their refined tastes and look down their nose at my tastes as I'm pretty sure I'm having a better time!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

I’m European and vacation in Disney parks. I wonder what he would make of that.

Patcheslee

I have people that told me they will never go to WDW too which strikes me as odd unless you just dont like theme parks at all. 90 percent of the time a person who swears to never want to go to WDW as an adult was never taken as a kid.
DH wasn't too fond of the idea of a Disney vacation because of Disney pulling Insane Clown Posses album years ago. Yes I know that was eons ago (and kinda a silly reason), but he did still agree to go, and he did have fun. We go back in June lol
So some people have the oddest reasons 🙄

Club Cooloholic

DH wasn't too fond of the idea of a Disney vacation because of Disney pulling Insane Clown Posses album years ago. Yes I know that was eons ago (and kinda a silly reason), but he did still agree to go, and he did have fun. We go back in June lol
So some people have the oddest reasons 🙄
Lol. I was once at another park that had a Juggalo convention or something going on at it. Everyone had fun, but all the black looked hot

DisneyGigi

Because some people so forgot what they were like as a child. Look at the people that have a negative attitude and roll their eyes every trip that you take. I’m sorry but they have the problem not me. Remove the stick from the place where the sun doesn’t shine- and Live, laugh, play in Mud puddles, catch fireflies, run, play and dance in the rain. Most people that still have fun doing those things do love Disney. :)

mikewdw

I think most people that cant understand why you go to WDW, really truly CANT understand it. WDW, for whatever reason, has no real, personal connection for them. Our family loves it, probably too much, seldom vacation anywhere else but for us, it is where we have had some of the best times in our lives. Not everyone feels that at or about WDW. The way I feel when one of my teams wins a big game (high school coach for 28 years) is unexplainable but for others (fans or spectators) they would just say "nice game" and never understand what it means to me & our team. Different connection level. For those of us who love it, it really is at a complete other level for us.

Goofyernmost

I love the dynamic of the subcultures:

At the highest level - Why do you go so much?

Down a level - Why do you always stay on property vs off?

Down another level - why do you go to EPCOT so much vs the MK?

Yet another - Pro F&W vs Anti F&W

And down the rabbit hole we go...
Amazingly, the answers to everyone of those questions is the same... Because I want too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom