Why are some people snobby and poke fun at people who vacation at Disney?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zurgandfriend

I spent over 30 years in the Military, I served from Vietnam to Desert Storm, and I am now working as a consultant in the energy field. I have in the words of Johnny Cash “been everywhere man.” I have lived in several international countries and I have experienced the best and worst of many nations and cultures.

I work with a lot of “young” people. They tell me I am crazy for going to Disney for vacation now that my kids are grown. They tell me about their extreme sports and the rush they get. I just smile and say to each their own. I refrain from asking what kind of rush they would get in a fire fight or during a rocket attack.

Those co-workers that are a little older say pretty much the same thing. They tell me about their golfing or boating weekends. I refrain from asking how much they spend on these hobbies. I instead tell they about playing the Winter Summer land course or how I enjoy a boat ride across the Seven Seas Lagoon.

I try to tell people I just like the Disney “bubble.” I don’t have to worry about connections, parking, meals etc. I can move at my own pace. I eat the food I enjoy and when I ask for directions or help I get it with a smile.

I will also say that when we approach technical matters it is the same. The first thing I want to do is to fix the problem, others want to redesign the wheel. I try to tell them we should approach the issue in parallel. Fix it first get the customer back on line then redesign it.

Some people just want to argue they think they are right and everyone else is wrong, as someone else said, they are humans. I believe there was a song that explains it “everybody wants to Rule the World.”

That’s my 2 pence on the subject.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

The best part of EPCOT is you don’t have to be in Europe for the essence. Europe is highly overrated, IMO.
OK, go ahead and keep telling yourself that. Having been both places I would have to disagree with you on that, but, you certainly are entitled to your opinion. That kinda like saying watching someone else eat a Mickey bar projects the same essence as having one yourself. Or that going to New Orleans Square in Disneyland is the same experience as going to New Orleans. I can assure you it isn't. All Epcot really does is give us an example of some (only a little) of the architecture of those places. Even the food in the restaurants it is highly Americanized and you can communicate normally because of the fact that even the people from those lands have to respond to you in English and not their native tongue. Epcot is great, but, no where near authentic. Some like authentic more then show.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I spent over 30 years in the Military, I served from Vietnam to Desert Storm, and I am now working as a consultant in the energy field. I have in the words of Johnny Cash “been everywhere man.” I have lived in several international countries and I have experienced the best and worst of many nations and cultures.

I work with a lot of “young” people. They tell me I am crazy for going to Disney for vacation now that my kids are grown. They tell me about their extreme sports and the rush they get. I just smile and say to each their own. I refrain from asking what kind of rush they would get in a fire fight or during a rocket attack.

Those co-workers that are a little older say pretty much the same thing. They tell me about their golfing or boating weekends. I refrain from asking how much they spend on these hobbies. I instead tell they about playing the Winter Summer land course or how I enjoy a boat ride across the Seven Seas Lagoon.

I try to tell people I just like the Disney “bubble.” I don’t have to worry about connections, parking, meals etc. I can move at my own pace. I eat the food I enjoy and when I ask for directions or help I get it with a smile.

I will also say that when we approach technical matter it is the same. The first thing I want to do is to fix the problem, others want to redesign the wheel. I try to tell them we should approach the issue in parallel. Fix it first get the customer back on line then resign it.

Some people just want to argue they think they are right and everyone else is wrong, as someone else said, they are humans. I believe there was a song that explains it “everybody wants to Rule the World.”

That’s my 2 pence on the subject.
You know that is the root of many of our problems today. We all live in an electronic world, so that even those older folks, like myself, very often forget life before the massive electronic plague. I have a grandson that has spent hours and hours playing war games with his Xbox. As he approached the end of his high school time, he decided that he wanted to join the army because, (wait for it) he was great at killing the enemy. Picked them off one after another. I asked him if any of those game included a situation where they shot real bullets back at him. Fortunately, he had some physical problems that prevented him from being able to join because he was still convinced that he was a one man uniformed, military, killing machine.

To me, if all the exposure to life that most people get is make believe, then when life sits up and shows its superiority, they will not do very well and think every problem will be solved by simply changing the channel.

beertiki

I live in the Florida Keys and spend a lot of time in, on , and under the water. Every weekend and some weekdays I am fishing on drinking on some sandbar in a place that might be as close to paradise as you can get and still be part of the continental US. We go to Disney because we had a great time 20 years ago, and after countless visits we still do. Some people don't understand it, but either they have never been, or they did go once, but they did Disney wrong and did not have a good time. There is a reason why millions of us keep going back, Disney does a really good job of making sure it's guests enjoy themselves.

Trackmaster

My rundown on how people would look down on an experience like Disney compared to something like Europe:

1. The obvious one is that Disney is seen as something that only kids can enjoy.
    • And in all fairness, Disney does love to play up the kiddie aspect to it, and you see the park deluged with the little ones. But Disney also goes to great lengths to make the parks fun for people of all ages. Its great for parents of the little ones, and adults without kids can do a ton as well. But obviously the core is always going to be the little kids. In reality, most people alive right now are either between the ages of 0-18, or have custody of a human between the ages of 0-18, or are the grandparent of somebody between the ages of 0-18. Its just not realistic to think that a parent is going to go to WDW and leave their offspring at home.
  2. Its seen something that's fake, and not real. Like you're experiencing a simulation of something great when you could just be doing that great thing.
    • This is something that I wrestle with, but we're getting to the point that Disney is something real, and not just a simulation. They do create fictitious worlds that aren't created in the real world.
    • And there's the convenience and cost savings of doing Disney instead of some backtracking trip through Europe.
    • And who is to say that you would even enjoy doing all the touristy stuff in Europe?
    • And you go somewhere in Europe or even America for a week or two, and you just end up spending your whole time doing shamelessly pathetic and cliche touristy stuff that's completely fake and touristy that the locals make fun of you for anyway. NYC has Times Square, Boston has the Freedom Trail/Fanueil Hall, Baltimore has the Inner Harbor, Miami has South Beach, etc. You think that backpacking through Europe and going to every cliche tourist destination makes you look any different from the shoppers with 10 bags who prance through Times Square to locals?
  3. Its too pre-planned, inorganic, and you don't leave 10 miles radius.
    1. I agree that this would bother me, and this is why I don't stay on site. But believe it or not, this is how the average person prefers to go on vacation. If not Disney, they'll just go to some hotel on the beach for a week, bunker down, and just drink by the pool all week. Hardly the hiking or backpacking through Europe that people want you to do.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
My wife and I have been visiting Disney together for about 15 years. We used to go every year, sometimes 2x a year. We have also done Aruba, Dominican Republic, Hawaii, California, along with plenty of Jersey Shore, Boston, and so on. But we always did Disney at least once a year. And sure some people would laugh and wonder how we could go to WDW every single year, especially without kids. And I would always have a bucketload of reasons for why we chose WDW year after year. It was a great value, it had so much to do that you could never do it all, things were always changing, it was clean and well run, and blah blah blah....

However....

Things have changed markedly. In truth, we are more then ever Disney's target audience. Upper middle class, 2 young kids, DVC owners. And yet. we visit WAY less then we used to. Maybe once every 2 years or so. And that is now starting to spread even further as we will be 3 years between trips before our next one.

If someone asked me now, why should anyone visit WDW every single year, I wouldn't have an answer for them. In point of fact, I would probably be the one asking the question. What about today's Disney makes you want to go so often?

I can't even imagine what the answer to that question might be.

Janir

Why does anyone care what others think?

I have a rule. Unless I gave birth to you, I am married to you, or you sign my paycheck, your opinion is of little consequence to me.

I'm going to shamlessly steal that. With proper accreditation. I have a forum I need to relate that to.

Janir

Not being a Disney person until recently recent in my life, I for a while didn't think much of a Disney vacation. (I'm sooo glad to be wrong! ;) )
At the time I was single and never thought I'd ever even go to someplace like WDW, unless I got married and had kids. Never in my worldview that I'd want to go for fun and enjoyment for myself. I always thought of WDW as a place for kids and I have none so why would I even bother? When my DW said her mom and her mom's boyfriend were planning on going and we were invited along to go, sure it sounded like fun once some of the stuff was described to me. And my DW at the time was excited to go, and since I was planning on proposing to her and I knew they had fireworks, and she loves fireworks, I was able to start hatching my marriage proposal plans with WDW as the backdrop. Once I got there, I was blown away by Disney Customer Service on many levels and the feeling of the Disney Bubble of fun, contentment and childlike joy adults could have. You could have explained it to me until you were blue in the face and you wouldn't convinced me that I'd enjoy Disney resorts as my top vacationing experiences until I was actually there. Now, I'm addicted.
Maybe it sounds trite but if you haven't experienced it , you won't understand it.

Trackmaster

My wife and I have been visiting Disney together for about 15 years. We used to go every year, sometimes 2x a year. We have also done Aruba, Dominican Republic, Hawaii, California, along with plenty of Jersey Shore, Boston, and so on. But we always did Disney at least once a year. And sure some people would laugh and wonder how we could go to WDW every single year, especially without kids. And I would always have a bucketload of reasons for why we chose WDW year after year. It was a great value, it had so much to do that you could never do it all, things were always changing, it was clean and well run, and blah blah blah....

However....

Things have changed markedly. In truth, we are more then ever Disney's target audience. Upper middle class, 2 young kids, DVC owners. And yet. we visit WAY less then we used to. Maybe once every 2 years or so. And that is now starting to spread even further as we will be 3 years between trips before our next one.

If someone asked me now, why should anyone visit WDW every single year, I wouldn't have an answer for them. In point of fact, I would probably be the one asking the question. What about today's Disney makes you want to go so often?

I can't even imagine what the answer to that question might be.

It makes total sense to me. When you have kids, just getting through day to day life, paying your mortgage, and putting aside for the college fund is your priority. Not taking your 3-4 year olds on lavish vacations. If anything, parents need breaks from their kids, when they have a chance to disconnect for the week, the last thing they want is a week of the Disney channel. When you don't have kids or you're an empty nester, you appreciate kind of feeling like kids, but also getting an adult experience too. Plus, you don't have to play chaperon, and in general, you don't have major expenses looming over your heads.

I know that when people think "theme park" they think "something only 8 year olds should enjoy." Buts its that mentality that really irritates me, and definitely hurts the industry in general.

KBLovedDisney

Because they have nothing better to do with their time than to make fun of others who don't see eye to eye with their own opinions. :rolleyes: I stay far away from these people.

jloucks

Why does anyone care what others think?

I have a rule. Unless I gave birth to you, I am married to you, or you sign my paycheck, your opinion is of little consequence to me.

Humans are selfish and greedy, you really don't want too many of them running around with this attitude.

jloucks

I remember back a few years ago some army guard officer guy who has been to vacations in Europe laughed at Disney parks and people who vacation at Disney on some random internet forum.

Why are some people so rude and judgemental? What makes them think that they are better than us?

I think people like that are really unhappy.

People are rude and judgmental for one of two reasons.

1) They are flaming $%^&-/$!@'s.
2) You're being a flaming $%^&-/$!@.

I always try to be sure #2 is not in anyway an issue. If not, understand you are in a #1 scenario and don't worry about it.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
It makes total sense to me. When you have kids, just getting through day to day life, paying your mortgage, and putting aside for the college fund is your priority. Not taking your 3-4 year olds on lavish vacations. If anything, parents need breaks from their kids, when they have a chance to disconnect for the week, the last thing they want is a week of the Disney channel. When you don't have kids or you're an empty nester, you appreciate kind of feeling like kids, but also getting an adult experience too. Plus, you don't have to play chaperon, and in general, you don't have major expenses looming over your heads.

I know that when people think "theme park" they think "something only 8 year olds should enjoy." Buts its that mentality that really irritates me, and definitely hurts the industry in general.
We still go to Hershey Park every year though, and we just bought LegoLand NY season passes, and we have a trip to Kingsmill Resort at Buschgardens Williamsburg planned for next spring. We still love theme parks. But Disney, it's just getting harder and harder to justify.

Fable McCloud

I prefer to be active on vacation, and more specifically, I don't want to drive.

I love going to WDW because they pick me up at the airport (and bring me back) and offer shuttles /monorails/boats from place to place. I don't have to drive in an unfamiliar place, which cause me to stress less and enjoy more.

Added bonus, everything is prepaid except for merchandise and any extras, so I'm not shilling out money constantly.

Don't get me wrong, but the anxiety I would feel in a foreign place would likely outweigh the fun I was having. I'll get to France and Ireland someday, but not without a ton of planning and mapping.

Chef Mickey

OK, go ahead and keep telling yourself that. Having been both places I would have to disagree with you on that, but, you certainly are entitled to you opinion. That kinda like saying watching someone else eat a Mickey bar projects the same essence as having one yourself. Or that going to New Orleans Square in Disneyland is the same experience as going to New Orleans. I can assure you it isn't. All Epcot really does is give us an example of some (only a little) of the architecture of those places. Even the food in the restaurants it is highly Americanized and you can communicate normally because of the fact that even the people from those lands have to respond to you in English and not their native tongue. Epcot is great, but, no where near authentic. Some like authentic more then show.
I've been too, so of course our opinions are as meaningless as anyone else. However, I'm not speaking from conjecture. Europe's larger cities are largely dirty, have high crime, and tons of rude people. I much prefer a city like Tokyo over Paris, London, or Barcelona. Objectively, Tokyo is cleaner, safer, and Japan in general has TONS of history. Granted, I am no European expert and have anecdotal experience, but Europe contains many "real world" cities which can never compete with the fantasy world of Disney.

France does have some of the best food in the world and I enjoyed that.

I've been to New Orleans too and it's nothing special, no offense to anyone from there.

macefamily

I get hammered at work when I say I'm going back to Disney. Actually, I'll just say I'm going away on vacation in a few weeks, and the first response is, "Oh, you're going back 'down there' !" The one guy goes to all of the islands with his wife and he's a certified scuba diver. He said that my family is missing out on seeing the world by just continuing to go back "down there." I have relatives who have accompanied us to Disney and that was it. They never returned after that one visit. We've been there 32 times. I guess it's just in our blood. I could care less if anyone scoffs at my 'Disney habit.'

cmb5002

I remember back a few years ago some army guard officer guy who has been to vacations in Europe laughed at Disney parks and people who vacation at Disney on some random internet forum.

Why are some people so rude and judgemental? What makes them think that they are better than us?

I think people like that are really unhappy.

They don't get it. They don't understand the thoughts, feelings, emotions, and memories that Disney brings us. Everyone has their likes and dislikes and certainly that's part of it, but another part is the preconceived notions and mental images of a Disney vacation just don't seem appealing to them. As with many other things, people have a natural aversion to that which they don't understand.

Anyway...I should go. ;)

Heppenheimer

OK, go ahead and keep telling yourself that. Having been both places I would have to disagree with you on that, but, you certainly are entitled to you opinion. That kinda like saying watching someone else eat a Mickey bar projects the same essence as having one yourself. Or that going to New Orleans Square in Disneyland is the same experience as going to New Orleans. I can assure you it isn't. All Epcot really does is give us an example of some (only a little) of the architecture of those places. Even the food in the restaurants it is highly Americanized and you can communicate normally because of the fact that even the people from those lands have to respond to you in English and not their native tongue. Epcot is great, but, no where near authentic. Some like authentic more then show.
Agree there. Don't get me wrong, I love Epcot. But I've also been lucky enough to have lived in Europe for several years, and there is absolutely no comparison. Epcot has only become more Americanized over time. Europe, quite honestly, is simply awesome, from the food, to the layers upon layers of history, to the ease of access to leisure, to the general cleanliness, to the rhythm of life...

I appreciate Walt's original purpose of providing a small glimpse of the foreign cultures, but I think even his idea was that it would whet your appetite for visiting the actual countries.

mdcpr

We still go to Hershey Park every year though, and we just bought LegoLand NY season passes, and we have a trip to Kingsmill Resort at Buschgardens Williamsburg planned for next spring. We still love theme parks. But Disney, it's just getting harder and harder to justify.
We also just bought Legoland passes! And we go to Hershey Park--mostly because I love staying at The Hotel Hershey. This year is going to be first WDW trip for my husband and my children, I went 3 times before when I was a young girl. I'm more excited about the trip than they are. So who knows if we will become yearly WDW visitors, or this will be 'it' for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom