Who remembers 1985??

supapampam

I remember the Epcot park map when they opened, as a kid I thought it was so cool that it had a "circle turning thing on it" can't remember it completely.

Plus, I remember my first time there in '85 was with my family & my friends family whose Dad work for the company that originally sponsored Living Seas so we got to go into the VIP room.

jozzmenia

boudica said:
When we went 1985, I remember taking a boat from MK to Epcot. Is this right? It was a long time ago and I was a kid, so my memory could be faulty. If I am remembering right, can you still do this, if not when did they stop that. Thanks all

Angela

u must be about the same age as me b/c i have the same vague childhood memory and i was 6 at the time.

i also remember that I loved Figment back then. :)

a2grafix

DisRussFIT said:
It'd be nice to go back to 1985 again. I'd love to go on World of Motion agan, but especially Horizons...god I loved that ride

... and the original jouney into imagination ride. Last time I got to do all three was back in August if 1993, my last time at WDW. It's about time, don't you think, to get my behind to Orlando? If I can do it (I know I can) late 2006 would be a great time after the summer crowds.

Ah the memories and soon to make new memories.

a2grafix

copper said:
I remember the 80's very well! I went to WDW every year in the 80's then I had a ten year lapse in the 90's and returned in 1999. Honestly, Epcot was disappointing the first year it opened. I was a young teenager and we thought it was too educational, too much concrete and not enough rides. It definately got better with time. There was never a boat to Epcot but there was a boat to Discovery Island, we called it bird ________ island. I still have a WDW passport from 1989 with 1 day left on it. The 4 day pass was for MK, Epcot and MGM and it cost $97.00. Those were the good old days!

I believe I still have a day left from my 1990s park hopper pass. Can I still use it? (Note to self: use search function for this)

MKCP 1985

(Summer of) 1985 Memories:

Return to Oz float in Main Street Electric Parade, disappeared without warning when the movie bombed. Suddenly, the parade was 3 to 5 minutes shorter. :lol:

Magic Kingdom open until 1:00 a.m., Main Street 1:30 a. m.

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (and 20,000 mile long queue!)

Kitchen Cabaret

85 cent popcorn

Tinkerbell took her first flight to start the fireworks show!

no lids at all and only paper straws for drinks

no napkins for ice cream or popcorn on the wagons

No Pleasure Island, Disney-MGM Studios, Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach or Animal Kingdom (Church St Station, Wet and Wild and River Country were the places to be!)

Ah, those were some days! :wave:

(definitely no boat from the Magic Kingdom to EPCOT Center - as has been pointed out, there were "friendship boats" to take you from Future World to World Showcase inside EPCOT, but the direct connection between EPCOT Center and the Ticket & Transportation Center at the Magic Kingdom was the Monorail.)

boudica

Original Poster
AWWW, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was the best. 1985 Figment was so much better than 2006 Figment, (or maybe it's just my age.)

I'm terrible with names, what was the ride called that at the end you got to choose if you wanted to go into the sea or into outerspace.

As far as the whole taking a boat to Epcot, even though it didn't happen, I'll pretend it did. It's much more fun that way.:p

Angela

The Mom

Premium Member
Horizons had the multiple endings.

Anyone else remember when guests could ride the double decker bus in Epcot?

mitchk

Number_6 said:
Having grown up in the 80s, I can say that I wish I could go back to that time and see the parks again the way they were. EPCOT Center was one of the greatest places during the 80s just because of the way the world was at that time. Personal computers were becoming more common and even started getting color monitors. That was a big thing at that time. Now unless it's a plasma screen television and can render 3 billion polygons, it doesn't even register an "ooohh..." from someone. :lol:

couldn't have said it better myself:sohappy:

The Mom

Premium Member
unkadug said:
Only two years earlier and they could have ridden the Swan Boats in the Magic Kingdom !

Were the swan boats there in 1983? I went to the MK for the first time in 1982, and I don't remember seeing them. Of course, I wasn't looking for them, either. It's not like I was able to check a fan website to plan my trip. :lol:

dxwwf3

Man you guys are taking me back. I wish I had been old enough to enjoy the 80's in pop culture and at WDW. Excellent thread!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The Mom said:
Were the swan boats there in 1983? I went to the MK for the first time in 1982, and I don't remember seeing them. Of course, I wasn't looking for them, either. It's not like I was able to check a fan website to plan my trip. :lol:
According to my memories (assisted by the internet:lol: ) they closed in '83, but had only been open during PEAK times for awhile.

copper

Yes, your pass is still good. I used it in 1999. Go to the guest relations at any of the parks entrance gates and exchange it for your entrance. The passes won't be good for Animal Kingdom though. I exchanged my pass at the international gateway in Epcot. I'll be in WDW next week for 5 days and I bought a 5 day pass w/hopper because it wasn't worth it to use the 2 days and buy a 3 day hopper. I'm going to use the 1989 pass for a weekend trip in the future. The only reason I still have the pass is because my brother walked through an open gate at MGM and no one noticed him. He then waved to my sister and I from inside MGM while we were waiting on line with his ticket:drevil: "Thanks for the gumball Mickey"

Tom

Beta Return
The Mom said:
Horizons had the multiple endings.

Anyone else remember when guests could ride the double decker bus in Epcot?

Heck yeah, I remember those! I remember always having to look out behind you to make sure one wasn't coming around the lagoon walk. Sometimes I still smell whatever smell their exhausts made - it wasn't normal fuel, I'm pretty sure.

Oh, all these posts are taking me back. Ah, to be back when Future World was.....futuristic, as was Tomorrowland. And the skyway...and toad...and 20k...and horizons...and the old monorails with their manual doors, HA!

And someone hit the big nail right on the head - the MK was open LATE! I remember making my parents stay till they shut down...at 1:00am! This summer's hours are hitting close to that, finally.

MayKit

1985? That was the first time I went to WDW, and what I remember most besides the parks were people wearing "Frankie Goes To Hollywood" t-shirts. LOL

disney9752

isnt 1985 when the monorail caught fire on the epcot beam at night? no splash mountain, the old train station in frontierland, no mickeys birthdayland, mickeys starland, toontown, there were not sooooooooooooooo many resorts to pick from, the new casting building across from dtd wasnt built yet, adventureland veranda was open, mike fink keel boats & davy crockett canoes were even running, wow what a quick trip down memory lane.:cool:

jmvd20

That's back when EPCOT was my favorite park. Brand new, perfectly themed, all the rides blended together perfectly. I would love to visit that park once again.

JEDIsney

I think that we can all agree that this is one of the most positive and enjoyable threads we've had recently. :)

I love reminiscing about the past at Walt Disney World.

jmvd20

JEDIsney said:
I think that we can all agree that this is one of the most positive and enjoyable threads we've had recently. :)

I love reminiscing about the past at Walt Disney World.

Definitely the most positive thread in a while!

I just thought about the skyway at MK, boy do I miss that. My dad and I at least once every vacation would take the monorail over to the MK and use the skyway to get back to the HM at night. Ride HM and then leave via the skyway/monorail. Those times are some of my best memories of going to MK as a kid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom