Which ride do you like better?

• El Rio del Tiempo

Votes: 39 41.9%
  • Maelstrom

Votes: 54 58.1%

• Total voters

Crazy Harry

Original Poster
I was just thinking about this last night. I know some people like el rio, but the vast majority seems to atleast dislike it if not loathe it for a variety of reasons including boringness (if that's even a word) and steriotypical representations. But then everyone seems to love Maelstrom, but I have a hard time deserning why. I'm curious where everyone else stands and maybe we can get some healthy debate brewing.

Personally, I like el rio better. Let me first tell you what bothers me about maelstrom:

-The queue is boring
-What's more steriotypical than trolls and vikings
-Most of the elaborate scenes you go by too quickly to enjoy
-The transition is lacking. From trolls and vikings right away to oilrigs.
-The most impressive part of the ride is the unloading station. If the rest of the ride had a simular quality they may have something.
-If you need a film at the end of the ride, then they didn't do their job for the duration of the ride.
-Too short

Now why I like el rio.

-Tastefully represents the culture
-Relaxing
-Screams old school epcot
-No line
-Engaging surroundings and back drops
Plus, the inside of the Mexican pavillion is the coolest place in the park.

So please, lets discuss.

shoppingnut

I happen to like both rides because each one has a little something different to offer.

I also think that el rio has some sterotyping in it too with the people trying to sell you things.

SirNim

I love both. Absolutely love both. Each conveys the quintessence of classic EPCOT Center. Each has its quirks. Each has its tiny flaws. But then again, each has its undeniable charm.

Edge goes to Maelstrom solely because it has a thrill element to it. And because I love mythology. And polar bears. And troll-infested forests. And oil rigs. And the Jøtul sign in the unload village.

:D

Then again, I also have a soft spot for Mexican vendors peddling their cheap souvenirs. :lol:

Crazy Harry

Original Poster
shoppingnut said:
I also think that el rio has some sterotyping in it too with the people trying to sell you things.

I agree that both have elements which can be construed as steriotypes. I personally think neither really have steriotypes per say, it's just that some people judge el rio for that very reason and then praise Maelstrom up and down. I guess that's what bothers me.

raven

To me the rides are completely different from each other. Maelstrom is an adventure and El Rio is a calm, relaxing river ride through time. I love both of them and they are becoming a classic of their own. :wave:

Frosty689

I LOVE!! El Rio. When i was younger, i always used to eat in the El Rio Restraunt, and i just believe that atmosphere in there is incredible. It's all very relaxed, and Chill. I think it's a very accurate representation of Mexican Culture, and very accurate as i was down there a couple of times on vacation. Also, the wait is just right, AKA no wait at all. It's pretty much my favorite place to go relax if its a busy day in the parks.

SarahBella82

Maelstrom. Mostly because it's slightly more exciting... But El Rio benefits from great theming within the pavilion and is more relaxing.

ChuckElias

I voted for El Rio, mostly b/c it IS relaxing. It's the perfect break in a hot, EPCOT day. I like Maelstrom, too, but just don't do it as often.

And what's so great about the Jotul sign? :)

KrazyKemp

I have to give it to Maelstrom, it is an adventure ride with great effects...though it does end rather quickly, doesn't it?

El Rio is just a little too "Small World" for me...

sbkline

What's more steriotypical than trolls and vikings

So there are some generalizations, or stereotypes. So what? The whole World Showcase is based on stereotypes to one degree or another. It's based on saying "this way of dress or this form of cuisine or these products are associated with this culture". Big deal. Vikings are historical figures and they are very much a part of Norweigian history. As such, they certainly have an appropriate place in the Norway pavilliot at the WS. And trolls are one of the creatures of historic Norse mythology, of which Norway was a part. Having them represent Norweigian culture in the WS is no more inappropriate than having Hansel and Gretel in the Germany pavillion or Pinochio in the Italian pavillion.

DigitalDisney

I voted for El Rio, but I go on both chronically.

The first segment in El Rio is one of the coolest things in all of Epcot because of the atmosphere and theming. From the nighttime village to the temple and lagoon and the erupting volcano in the background, it's pure theming bliss.

haveyoumetmark

Maelstrom hands down. I just like the thrill element to it. El rio is more calm, and sometimes boring. Maelstrom isn't so exciting, and sometimes the lines are extreme, but it's just my personal favorite over El rio.

New2WDW

haveyoumetmark said:
Maelstorm hands down. I just like the thrill element to it. El rio is more calm, and sometimes boring. Maelstorm isn't so exciting, and sometimes the lines are extreme, but it's just my personal favorite over El rio.

Never been on either! But this year I would like to take my DD's 9 and 6. What is the THRILL element to Maelstrom? :veryconfu

Timothy_Q

El Rio of course! It's such a relaxing ride for hot days and it has great theming (and a great song :D ). And who doesnt love the 80's footage inside the ride?..the guys on the jacuzzi and on the bar...they're great!! they scream classic EPCOT!

I don't really like maelstrom because it's just too short and the queue is plain horrible! the best part is the exit...:veryconfu

Ivan72

I agree each ride has it's own charm and is unique.

In Maelstrom, I love the Viking scene where they are preparing to go to sea and also the plunge into the North Sea. And what a cute village at the unload area!

However, El Rio happens to be one of our favorites. It recalls If You Had Wings and is relaxing and interesting. Lot's of details, especially in the beginning segment.

So, we love them both with a slight nod to Rio.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom