Which do you perfer: El Rio or Maelstrom

Which ride do you like better?

• El Rio del Tiempo

Votes: 39 41.9%
  • Maelstrom

Votes: 54 58.1%

• Total voters
Looks like a close race so far...I had trouble deciding because I ride both of the rides back to back the first night I arrive. I love riding both since they are both enjoyably boat rides. I would have to lean more toward El Rio Del Tiempo since the Maelstrom has that goofy show at the end of the ride.

"...you aren't the first to travel these waters...nor will you be the last..."

EpcoTim

This is a tough question, these are actually 2 of my favorite rides in all of WDW. But I guess I would have to pick Rio. The scenary is gorgeous, and I can ride it all night.

Plus, Mexico is the coolest pavillion.

claning

El Rio is clearly my favorite. I DO NOT miss it. If I am in EPCOT I must ride that at some point. Maelstrom I will do if I have time and am so inclined.

The "thrill" in Maelstrom is hardly worth mentioning. Get a more thrilling ride on the bus to the park. You fly through the attraction too fast. Nothing grabs me either (except the unload area, that is cool).

El Rio, while in need of updating is just the whole package. What a pleasant way to spend 5 or 10 minutes. I like thrill rides, but the relaxing dark rides are just the ticket for cleansing the palate. Plus....I just love that song!

Chris

the-reason14

I enjoy both, but I enjoy el rio more. It was the first out of the two I rode, and its more relaxing, and I LOVE the fact thats its cool in there and has no line. Plus, theres no show you have to wait to skip.

Maelstrom is more exciting and adventurous, but its just way to short, and the little cultural stuff is kinda weird. I do el rio more than maelstrom each trip also.

Kadee

They are both good in their own right. I really can not say that I prefer one over the other. I enjoy them both. However, neither are rides that I would be upset to have to miss.

SewIn2Disney

New2WDW: The "thrill" is a small drop or two, no bigger then the drop on Pirates. One drop, however, is backward.

I voted for Rio, like others have mentioned, for it's definate 80's feel. It just gives you that "homey" feeling.

T-1MILLION

Maelstrom. My goodness that ride does not really make any sense and is so random....haha:lol:

But I just love da spirit of norvay!

(you are not de first to pas dis vay)

I wish the telsa coil effect would still work(has it ever? I think so). I think it did at one time and the pic in the imagineering book I have makes it look amazing.

haveyoumetmark

New2WDW said:
Never been on either! But this year I would like to take my DD's 9 and 6. What is the THRILL element to Maelstrom? :veryconfu

Like SewIn2Disney mentioned, the thrill element isn't that big of a deal at all. One or two mini drops, smaller or equivalent to the one on Pirates of the Caribbean at Magic Kingdom. One of the drops is backwards, but it's really small and is more of a refreshing breeze and not scary at all. Your daughters will be able to ride, no problem. I've watched my younger cousins and nieces ride it and they were that age too, 6 and 7. It is a VERY mild ride.

haveyoumetmark

T-1MILLION said:
Maelstrom. My goodness that ride does not really make any sense and is so random....haha:lol:

But I just love da spirit of norvay!

(you are not de first to pas dis vay)

I wish the telsa coil effect would still work(has it ever? I think so). I think it did at one time and the pic in the imagineering book I have makes it look amazing.

lol. I'm really interested, what's the book called?

SirNim

haveyoumetmark said:
lol. I'm really interested, what's the book called?
Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real

By: The Imagineers

Foreward by everybody's favorite former CEO, Mickey Eisner.

There is a photo, in this book, of WDI staff standing behind a metal screen, which is being struck by an impressive bolt of electricity (or lightning?).

This book is a must-have, let's put it at that. :)

SirGoofy

T-1MILLION said:

I don't think it was ever installed. I believe they were testing it out to see if it was safe, and then never installed it.

haveyoumetmark

SirNim said:
Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real

By: The Imagineers

Foreward by everybody's favorite former CEO, Mickey Eisner.

There is a photo, in this book, of WDI staff standing behind a metal screen, which is being struck by an impressive bolt of electricity (or lightning?).

This book is a must-have, let's put it at that. :)

Thanks! :wave:

I'll be sure and look into it, I think I have actually seen it at Barnes and Noble, but it was like $50? I'll find it again, and buy it this time.

lol at the Michael Eisner reference.:lol:

EDIT: Looks as if it's out of print. Oh well, I got the Official Disney Encyclopedia: Disney A-Z by Dave Smith from some out of print book dealer because it was out of print, I just forgot where. lol

dr_teeth90210

This has been the most difficult poll on wdwmagic for me to answer. I love both attractions. I ended up voting for Mexico because of the non-existant lines.

On a side note Mr. Crazy Harry,

Long live wdwmagic forum members named after Muppets!!!:hammer:

Crazy Harry

Original Poster
dr_teeth90210 said:
On a side note Mr. Crazy Harry,

Long live wdwmagic forum members named after Muppets!!!:hammer:

That's what I'm talkin bout. It was either him or Dr. Strangepork.

Honestly, I don't really remember either of them too well...but there was some major flirtage with a hot Norwegian boy after Maelstrom, so I picked that one :kiss:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom