Which deluxe would you choose?

coltow

You won't be disappointed with whichever you choose. My opinion depends on the ages of the children. I think if they are under 5 you'd def. want to be at a MK resort, my favs are Poly and WL. If they are a little older they may like AKL or BC&YC a little more.

Eyorefan

My DD loves the Polynesian. There were days where we had to talk her into going to the parks because she wanted to hang out at the pool and play on beach.

You can also walk to the TTC and take the monorail to EPCOT which was really great.

We've stayed at the Wilderness lodge, Poly, Beach Club, Boardwalk and Old Key West. Poly is my favorite followed closely by Boardwalk. If your kids are young and take naps I would choose Poly. The monorail access to MK and EPCOT is great. Going down to the beach at night and watching the fireworks or the EWP is pretty cool. I don't believe you will go wrong with any deluxe you choose. I would gladly stay in any of them and hope to get around to staying in all of them before long.

jiminy.cricket

I've never stayed on site, but my dad and I often discuss at which ones we would stay. I would say the Yacht/Beach Club, Boardwalk, and Animal Kingdom Lodge. My dad has always wanted to stay at AKL or Wilderness Lodge, for some reason.

ThomasFamily3

We will be staying at the AKL this November for the 3rd time. Our son is nine now and loves the animals. If you are in a standard room, ask for an upgrade to a savanah view when you check in. It worked for us. Our son loves to stay here. There are lots of kids around to play with. The bus ride doesn't really bother us, we like finding out were others are from. All of the places mentioned so far sound fantastic. Enjoy!

WEDisney

I'm Old school so I would go Polynesian, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Yacht Club, Boardwalk in that order. Now if I only had the courage to stay in another deluxe besides the Poly.:(

lilmizpixie3

The wilderness lodge is fabulous, we use to stop there all the time because we stayed at Fort Wilderness. Something else really neat is staying at the campground in one of their cabins...its like your own little home away from home and fort wilderness has a boat right to magic kingdom which is awesome. You can also watch the water light show right there on the lake. I highly recommend it.

KimnAbby

Wilderness Lodge is very nice. The rooms are comfy and it's got a really great atmosphere. When we stayed, my brother and I had bunkbeds, which was really great for us as young kids. The Boardwalk is also really fun. It has tons of activities and it's very close to Epcot and only a short boat ride away from MGM. But I think my vote would go to the Polynesian. The monorail is a perk in itself. Plus I love the tropical atmosphere it has going on.

My family and I have a time share, so we always stay at Old Key West, which is beautiful. But for younger kids, I'd probably recommend somewhere else. Old Key West kind of gives you that home away from home feeling. Young kids might enjoy some place a little more upbeat and Disney-ish. If that makes any sense! :)

ASilmser

good news: No one on this site is wrong--all of the deluxes are great.

Bad News: Tough choice! but if that's your biggest problem, you are very lucky indeed!

Here's my two cents:

Poly: FABULOUS theming, great eating, big rooms, nice views, on the monorail, and tiki torches lighting the trails!! cool stuff

Contemp: IF you are in the tower, its super cool to be there, all views are fabulous, closest to MK, GREAT place for recreation--that's where you rent boats, ski-doo's, para sail, etc.-- on the monorail, lots of amenities, and very newly remodeled rooms.
If you get stuck at the end of the garden wing, though, you are FAR from the everything, and the views can be so so. There is also a lot of remodeling going on in the common areas too.

Wilderness: FABULOUS theming, great pool, smaller rooms, seems very "tucked away"--even if you don't stay there, I would recommend a visit for dinner or just to walk around. Its appeal is also its downfall: because it's tucked away, there is no monorail, and there is not much within easy reach beyond its walls. (a nice little hike to fort wilderness is fun, though)

YaBC/Boardwalk: LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION--because these large resorts are so close and/or connected, you are really staying at all of them when you choose one. LOTS of eating, recreation, and pool choices. Close to Epcot and MGM (you can walk). bus and boat to theme parks, and even a small nightlife independent of the parks. Rooms are nice, but not as big as poly or contemp. Views are hit or miss too.

AKLodge: What can you say? for theming, its OUTSTANDING. How can you compete with giraffes and wildebeests (or whatever they are)? This one is also a destination all its own even if you don't stay there. Go for a meal at BOMA. (Jiko too). Really, its only downfall is that it is FAR from everything except Animal Kingdom. This may, however, be a plus for you. The bus system is good, but, like all mass transit, it's not flawless.

Grand FL: monorail, lots of amenities, great rooms, stylish, and even though I can say nothing wrong about it, I would not stay again. I just like some of the others so much better.

That's my two cents

You can't go wrong, really.

One thing that might seal the deal for you--do some research into the programs and offerings for the kids your age in terms of special activities and recreation offered AT THE RESORT ITSELF. At Boardwalk, for instance, they have surry bikes that you can rent and drive around. At some resorts, they have "storytime" readings in the lobby. At the Grand FL, they have a high tea, and a Mary Poppins character meal. At YaBC, they have kid's guided fishing excursions.

If it all sounds good, it may make your decision more complicated, but usually that can help you choose what's best for your family.

Kadee

I agree with ASilmer in that you really can't go wrong. Each deluxe has its own special qualities that make it great. MY personal preferences are Beach Club (staying in December :sohappy: ) and Wilderness Lodge. I personally did not like AKL. I've stated before in another thread that I had very high expectations and was quite underwhelmed....disappointed, even. The animals are great....for the first 30 minutes or so, but how long do you really want to sit and stare at a giraffe eating (and I am an animal lover).

On the opposite side, the Wilderness Lodge is even more than you could ever expect. As great as everyone says it is, I don't think you can actually get it unless you see it for yourself. It was a hard choice between WL and BC for Christmas, but we spend SOOOOO much time at Epcot that BC just made more sense for us. Although we won't be using it in December, the pool at BC is amazing. If you have kids that love pools, BC or YC may be your best bet. There is nothing else like it at any other Disney hotel in Orlando.

sherylemomof2

Deluxe Resort

We just returned and stayed at the Polynesian. The rooms were nice and large. It had two queen beds and a pullout sofa. We had two cribs in our room and had plenty of room to spare. The personnel at the poly were fantastic
We have stayed at the contemporary and it is fun for the kids with the monorail going through the hotel but if not getting that view I would definatly choose the poly. It is on Monorail line. We were in the back part and not a far walk to transportation. Hope this helps

kennygman

Original Poster
My kids say they are leaning toward the Beach club if they get their way. I like the Contemporary idea you guys proposed too because of a quick walk from MK. Views aren't important as we don't spend that much time in the actual room.

honeymooner05

We love the Beach Club. The pool is fantastic! and there's so much for kids to do around the resorts around there. We especially love the walk into Epcot and the boat ride to MGM. Oh, and Beaches and Cream is my favorite place to eat in all of WDW!

The Mom

Premium Member
This is always a difficult question for me, as I like them all.

Wintertime: WL or AKL. They both have nice fireplaces that have rocking chairs and other comfy seats nearby. I enjoy them on a cold day as a way to warm up after being in the parks.

Summer: Beach & Yacht Club! Stormalong Bay is great.

Spring & Fall: I like CR, Polynesian, or Boardwalk. The quiet pools are sheltered enough for swimming, and I enjoy walking around the resorts, and also to and from the parks, as the temperatures are more comfortable. BUT, if a day is unusually warm, you still have a more active pool with a slide.

BUT, I would enjoy ANY of them, ANY time. :sohappy:

themarchhare

Go with either the Wilderness Lodge or the Grand Floridian. I would say GF over WL just because it's on the monorail and it's disney's flagship resort. It is the cream of the crop and just has the greatest views!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom