Which deluxe resort do you recomend?

bobjl527

Hello everyone. After many trips to WDW together, my wife and I are seriously considering staying on Disney property at a deluxe resort next October. We have stayed at the Swan before, but that was when I worked for Starwood, the company that manages Swan and Dolphin. While it was very nice there, I felt like I was just staying at another Sheraton, not a Disney hotel. I really want to stay at POLY. Ever since I was 5 years old and saw it from the monorail, I've wanted to stay there. My wife on the other hand wants to stay at Wilderness Lodge.
I know it may be hard to compare the two. I was just wondering if any of you can give me their opinions. It is just the two of us, and we'll be celebrating our 9th wedding anniversary, so if one is more romantic than the other please let us know.
Thanks again.

slappy magoo

My advice? Get an annual pass. Depending on the season, you could wind up getting some deep discounts on rooms. This year, go to WL. And in approximately 51 weeks - just in time for the TENTH anniversary - stay at the Poly. :D

Also bear in mind, you can always visit the other resort. While getting from WL to Poly (or vice versa) isn't as easy as walking to/from the various Epcot resorts, it's not as long as certain other resort-to-resort transfers either. If you're staying at the WL, you can take the ferry to MK, then jump on the resort monorail to the Poly. Depending on the season, there may also be water launches to the Contemporary, which would be one less stop on the monorail. So if you were, for example, to decide to stay at the poly, I'd recommend one night having dinner at Artist Point at WL, you'd take the monorail to MK, then a water launch to WL. Have a great dinner, soak in the atmosphere, maybe a cup of coffee in front of the fireplace before you head back. On the flip-flop, if you stay at WL, you could get a late dinner one night at Ohana's (late to avoid to many kids/families), you may even be able to time your meal to be looking at the Castle when the fireworks start. If not, a walk on their beach during Wishes, then.

And of course, this extends to other resorts as well. Don't limit yourself to just the resort where you're staying and the parks.

Upvote 0
I have to add to this thread. I would have to say stay @ the Poly. My wife and I
stayed @ the Poly for out honeymoon, and loved the resort. I does give you the resort feel, the staff was great. We loved the resort so much we stayed there the next 2 times we went on vacation to Disney. The atmosphere is wonderful. My recommendation all the way is the Poly. Good Luck on you choice.:)

Upvote 0

sueuk

We love the Beach Club, not only for the view across to the Boardwalk at night - but to be able to walk to Epcot in 5 mins and either walk or take a FriendShip to the Studios is wonderful. You can even walk to Epcot and take the Monorail to MK. We've stayed at AKL twice and that is fab too - in a completely different way; the ambience and theming is amazing (as are the restaurants). If it helps, we are 'over 21' and have no children now to take!!

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I don't think you would go wrong with any of them. I guess our favorite is Poly for the grounds and atmosphere. Easy access to monorails for MK and Epcot.

We really enjoy Beach Club for the convenience to Epcot where we spend a lot of time.

WL is probably our close second favorite. Boats to MK, but other transport a bit more of a challenge.

AKL is beautiful, great to be close to the animals, and if you do concierge, you have access to some special tour packages. Transportation is probably most challenging of all deluxes however.

Contemporary is probably our least favorite. While you can walk to MK and have access to monorails, it seems most like an average quality hotel.

Upvote 0

rsoxguy

Thanks Tigsmom! I'm trying to decide where to stay next summer for a couple of weeks and your evaluation helps. I just don't want to pay the big bucks for a well decorated closet. We don't spent a lot of time in the room, but we would like it to be comfortable and roomy while we are there. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Hello everyone. After many trips to WDW together, my wife and I are seriously considering staying on Disney property at a deluxe resort next October. We have stayed at the Swan before, but that was when I worked for Starwood, the company that manages Swan and Dolphin. While it was very nice there, I felt like I was just staying at another Sheraton, not a Disney hotel. I really want to stay at POLY. Ever since I was 5 years old and saw it from the monorail, I've wanted to stay there. My wife on the other hand wants to stay at Wilderness Lodge.
I know it may be hard to compare the two. I was just wondering if any of you can give me their opinions. It is just the two of us, and we'll be celebrating our 9th wedding anniversary, so if one is more romantic than the other please let us know.
Thanks again.

We've stayed at WL and LOVED it! I highly recommend and would go back for sure! :sohappy: I have also stayed at the GF and that one, imo, is very very nice but the price just doesn't make it worth it unless it is a very very special occasion - like wedding, honeymoon, etc. I wish WL was on the monorail - but since it is not, it is cheaper. :) I would like to enduldge one time and stay at the Poly and get a MK view room! ha ha But again - save that for a very special occasion! :lol:

Upvote 0

H20Babie

Depending on how long you are planning to stay in WDW, have you considered a split stay between the Poly and WL?

If you are only planning to stick with one resort, I LOVED the Poly. Like you, it was my dream resort and I finally got the chance to stay there last spring. It really was a dream come true, and cannot recommend it enough.

Upvote 0

danpam1024

Thanks again.

If my DH had wanted to stay somewhere since he was 5, then for me, there would be no other place that would be as important to stay.:animwink:

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Im a fan of Boardwalk. Love the environment and the proximity to Epcot.

One of the things I didn't like about the Boardwalk area resorts was that they all shared the bus system. There were times that the bus was totally full when they got to us and waiting over an hour for a bus was not our idea of having fun. We ended up driving to the MK, AK and DTD.

Upvote 0

Yanks07

One of the things I didn't like about the Boardwalk area resorts was that they all shared the bus system. There were times that the bus was totally full when they got to us and waiting over an hour for a bus was not our idea of having fun. We ended up driving to the MK, AK and DTD.
They have since split up Swan/Dolphin from the others, except for the DownTown Disney run.

Upvote 0

WendyWDW

It depends on how old your kids are. I think the Polyesian is better for younger kids because of the location. It's a quick monorail ride to MK; it's just a stroll over to TTC to catch a monorail to Epcot. You can get almost anywhere else via bus in 10-15 minutes.

Upvote 0

tracyandalex

POLY!!!! we stayed at poly for our honeymoon and absolutely loved it!! we stayed in tahiti house, it's at the end, but worth the walk. there is a hammock on the beach there that we spent some time relaxing in, it was also a great place to watch wishes. the atmosphere is very romantic and all the flowers were in bloom so the smell was amazing.
which ever resort you choose have a great trip :wave:

tracy

Upvote 0

Huck

Stayed at both with my girlfriend/wife.

No... not what you're thinking!
She was my girlfriend first and then became my wife 8 years ago.
Anyhow, we've stayed at both resorts as an unmarried couple and as a married couple. In fact we stayed at the Poly when I proposed to her at our brick on the walk around the world just outside of the resort!

Despite the obvious emotional connection to the Poly, both my wife and I would rather stay at the Wilderness Lodge more than any other resort on property!

So count 2 more for the WL!

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Another plus for WL that a lot of people tend to overlook:

Obviously, the monorail is a tremendous convenience with children. However, one major inconvenience about the Poly with chiildren is that long walk you may have from your room to the nearest place to get food/beverages. We stayed in Tokelau, and every time we needed to get water or juice for our kids, we have a 10 minute walk, possibly in the rain. At WL, you're just a quick elevator ride away.

Upvote 0

marcriss

We stayed at the Poly for our honeymoon and we had a great time, but we loved the WL. It's majestic and warm. The great room with the fireplace and the brook inside. We spent a lot of time at the lounge drinking nutty irishmen. The pool area is really beautiful. The only drawback is transportation.

The YC is awesome. It's warm and rich and the location can't be beat. The sandy pool is great too.

Congrats on the anniversary!

Upvote 0

Mick G.

We recently stayed at the Poly for the first time in years. Excellent. The monorail is much more "magical" than the buses, and the restaurants at the Poly are the best we ate at. Kona especially. We felt the GF was too snooty, and the Contemporary looks like a construction zone.

The big downside at the WL is transportation, for us anyway.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom