Where is our Dragon?!?

Figments Friend

Isn't he a kind of dragon?

figment.jpg

Indeed..!

The only dragon one needs in FL...

:D

nemofinder22

If the DHS version was ever given an update I would like to see the the projectors updated to HD like DL's before anything else.

Not to forget that the name Summer Nightastic! was a play off of the Fantasmic! name and its upgrades last summer since there wasnt anything new coming(new in terms of attractions plenty of entertainment though, even a rumor saying since Worlds of Wonder was cut part of its budget went to Electrical Parade:shrug:)

And DHS's can claim best Fantasmic! for now since DL's is dark till June:)

imagineer boy

I agree that DL's Dragon trumps WDW's, but I would also agree that DL's dragon is a little over lit. You light it up too much, it looses some of its mystery.

EPCOT Explorer

wait, are we talking about the same Murphy dragon from DL's show? Because small and comical are not the words I'd use to describe it :lol: Have you guys seen it in person?

maybe it's just me, but I didn't find the old dragon head-on-a-stick to be menacing at all. At DL it was the weakest part of the show.. When you could clearly see the simple, and cheap-looking, mechanism that moved the head up and down. :shrug:
It's much more hidden in WDW. She just materializes out of the projection, and her wings glow.

I got goosebumps when I saw it for the first time in Dec. :eek:
In six months I will ;)

From what I have seen, DLs did indeed used to look poor but from this I also think Murphy is too cartoon-like. Orlandos still looks the better, plus you can`t make out the mechanism, the wings are wide and well defined and the whole effect of masking the mountain works so well.

I`d still take your new flame thrower though :D
YES. The Fire Whip tech is amazing.

Oh,yes! The shiny streamers hanging off the wings strike so much fear in to me.:lookaroun:lol:
I actually think that's tube lighting. It's neonish.

stitch2008

In six months I will ;)

From what I have seen, DLs did indeed used to look poor but from this I also think Murphy is too cartoon-like. Orlandos still looks the better, plus you can`t make out the mechanism, the wings are wide and well defined and the whole effect of masking the mountain works so well.

I`d still take your new flame thrower though :D

I agree. But is it possible to modify the current WDW dragon to have a similar flame thrower?

TP2000

The issues with WDW's Fantasmic! aging technology and showmanship aside I was kind of wondering where the rest of the Nightastic offerings are at WDW?

Disneyland's Summer Nightastic! program in '09 consisted of the following mareketable offerings:

Upgraded Fantasmic! with new dragon
Upgraded Electrical Parade with new floats and lighting and soundtrack
Brand new Magical Fireworks show with flying Tinkerbell and flying Dumbo
Coca-Cola Dance Party at Tomorrowland Terrace nightly
Light and music show added to Pixie Hollow lagoon

A 90 second commercial for the Disneyland Summer Nightastic offerings:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0QPBjNNtTY

It would seem to me that WDW still has an opportunity to layer in some smaller Nightastic offerings, like a plussed up dance party at Tomorrowland Terrace and maybe a night lighting package somewhere in Epcot or Animal Kingdom or something.

Dancing under the stars at Disneyland is a summer tradition, adding untold charm and zip to the overall park atmosphere; either swing dancing at the Plaza Gardens, or dancing to pop music at Tomorrowland Terrace. Dancing at Disneyland is always offered on weekends year round, and seven nights a week in summer. I get that they can't do outdoor dance floors in WDW because of the climate, but at least WDW's Tomorrowland Terrace was built with a dance floor originally, and I'm sure they could carve out a dance floor for swing dancing at the Crystal Palace or someplace.

Why not offer at least one dancefloor at Magic Kingdom this summer for Nightastic? If Disneyland can have two dancefloors going full blast every night, you would think Magic Kingdom could come up with at least one. :confused:

It adds immensely to the overall park atmosphere, whether you get out on the dancefloor or not.

Rock n' Roll dancefloor with live bands at Disneyland's Tomorrowland Terrace
TLT_low.jpg

Disneyland Orchestra and swing dancing at Plaza Gardens
179133307_df6c73bad9.jpg

Figments Friend

I like the Dance Party ideas, and agree that it adds a lot of atmosphere..and a fun one at that!

When i have attended to various Halloween Parties at the MK, i always found the two dance parties going on at both Cosmic Ray's and FantasyLand to be fun additons. The crowds loved them...and it added a nice spark to the night. Why not do them every night?

A great place would be in TomorrowLand....using that bare stage nicely built but not used.

TP2000

I like the Dance Party ideas, and agree that it adds a lot of atmosphere..and a fun one at that!
A great place would be in TomorrowLand....using that bare stage nicely built but not used.

Disneyland's Tomorrowland Terrace is where the action is when the sun goes down. A local SoCal surf-party band, Suburban Legends, generally holds court there with teenagers packing the dancefloor.

Suburban Legends do lots of Disney cover songs that are still very Disney, but the kids seem to "rock out" to them. Suburban Legends are a SoCal band, but there simply has to be something similar that WDW could find locally. Here's a clip of the Suburban Legends rising from underground on the moving stage at Tomorrowland Terrace at Disneyland, doing their cover of I Just Can't Wait To Be King. Clever! :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjVWWLU_Dbw

AEfx

:dazzle:

You think their dragon is the comical one? Ours is a head on a stick! Whereas Disneyland's is an enormous, full-bodied, fire-breathing dragon. It's really quite impressive and menacing.

Hehe, I have to agree!

I generally agree with Martin 99.97% of the time - I guess this is one of the .03% exceptions! :)

TP2000

Personally I hope we keep the DHS dragon. Murphy is too comical. Ours is far more menacing.

I have a hunch you will have a slightly different opinion when you make your first visit to Disneyland and see Murphy in person rather than YouTube. He's big and scary! :D

_Scar

I wish we had Murphy. We basically have the same head but practically no body. Maybe people think it's more mysterious because it's just a floating head with big wings and no body whatsoever.

OR we could do it my way and replace Maleficent with Ursula with the finale being defeating BAU complete with the trident and menacing voice.

EPCOT Explorer

I wish we had Murphy. We basically have the same head but practically no body. Maybe people think it's more mysterious because it's just a floating head with big wings and no body whatsoever.

OR we could do it my way and replace Maleficent with Ursula with the finale being defeating BAU complete with the trident and menacing voice.

But...Malificent is the "Mistress of all Evil". Ursy is just a pi ssed off octopus. :D :lol:

SirGoofy

Yea...Maleficent is basically the devil. Why replace her?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom