Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

SteveBrickNJ

Wow, you all are early with your decorations. (They look really nice, by the way. I know that your wife has a knack for design presentation; although I'm sure that the family decorated together, with various input from all.) We don't decorate until about the 2nd week of December, and that's partly due to not getting the (real) tree too early, so that it won't dry out by Christmas.
We are able to decorate early because we have an artificial tree. Tomorrow we hope to do the outside decorations.
Have a fantastic Friday everyone :)

NYwdwfan

Wow, you all are early with your decorations. (They look really nice, by the way. I know that your wife has a knack for design presentation; although I'm sure that the family decorated together, with various input from all.) We don't decorate until about the 2nd week of December, and that's partly due to not getting the (real) tree too early, so that it won't dry out by Christmas.
Same.

@MinnieM123 did you see the windows at Saks Fifth Avenue this year? They have a link to the first viewing on their website:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Same.

@MinnieM123 did you see the windows at Saks Fifth Avenue this year? They have a link to the first viewing on their website:
Yea!! I'm so glad this tradition still goes on!!! :happy:

I know that Macy's still decorates. (With the number of some larger store closings around the country, I just wasn't sure how many of the NYC ones were putting the money and creative effort into their windows this year. )

I was actually surprised to read that Lord & Taylor is part of the decorated stores (L&T in my area shut down a year ago). Just read that Henri Bendel, Barney's, and Bergdorf in NYC also have nice decorations.

NYwdwfan

Yea!! I'm so glad this tradition still goes on!!! :happy:

I know that Macy's still decorates. (With the number of some larger store closings around the country, I just wasn't sure how many of the NYC ones were putting the money and creative effort into their windows this year. )

I was actually surprised to read that Lord & Taylor is part of the decorated stores (L&T in my area shut down a year ago). Just read that Henri Bendel, Barney's, and Bergdorf in NYC also have nice decorations.
Jennifer and I saw the Saks display in person a few years back. It had a very “Osborne Lights” kinda feel.

I love the lights of this time of year. So beautiful.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Mike is at an out of town basketball tournament. I am at home.

A) I wouldn’t have been able to get a ticket for each game. (Thanks COVID capacity limits.)

and B) He is in the same town, same hotel we were at when I received the news about my brother; so that’s a big fat no from me.

So here I am in bed with just the pup. Feels weird. The boys are home, the doors are locked. I’m not in an any way nervous or anything, it’s just that it’s been a few years since we’ve slept apart. Like I said, feels weird.

Songbird76

I wouldn't know who Adele is if she walked up and bit me. If I've heard her music I apparently wasn't impressed enough to try and find out who is performing it. From what I have been able to gather from the comments of others that she is famous for having sad, everybody is doing me wrong songs, sad enough to be in the country western genre. All she would need is a dog and a pickup.
I can't stand to listen to her. I don't mind her songs, but she is too shouty for me, and she scoops a LOT, which I can't stand. She also tends to go a bit flat when she scoops. My husband dislikes her even more than I do. If one of her songs comes on, the radio goes off or it gets changed to a different station.

Songbird76

I decorated my classroom for Christmas after school today. I always make sure at the beginning of the year to include a question on the "Getting to Know Your Child" sheet that asks them to list holidays they don't want their child to celebrate at school. So far I've never had one say they don't celebrate Christmas, which is good because I love Christmas. I draped lights across the window, strung lights across the top of their cubbies, put garland/lights above a bulletin board, hung a banner of cardboard Christmas lights on the wall, put up and decorated a small Christmas tree, and put a couple other decorations up.
So what do you do if a parent doesn't want their child to celebrate something that you normally would have a party for at school? Does the kid just have to stay home that day? Or is there a classroom for all of the kids who don't celebrate that particular holiday? Or do you not celebrate any holiday if one student is banned from it?

Songbird76

we always get paid if we cover for another teacher during our prep time. It isn’t worth losing prep time but at least it is something.
Does it happen a lot that you have to cover for another teacher? A's class still doesn't have a teacher, so they have other teachers covering on their days off or whatever, and we've had a few days that they couldn't get anyone to cover, so they just give the kids an assignment to do at home. It's been rough this year. A different teacher every day, the teachers don't know the kids, the kids don't know the teachers....some of them are coming from the other locations of the school. Teaching is a different animal over here. Most teachers don't teach full time at one school. They will work 2 days at one school and 3 days at another, or will only work 2 days a week total. So the kids have one teacher on Mondays and Tuesdays, but a different teacher the rest of the week. Or they might have a teacher on Mondays and Fridays, but the middle days are different. So they have just been grabbing random teachers to fill in the days, so there might be 4 or 5 different teachers for A's class in one week, and then the next week another 3 different teachers. There's no consistancy, which is really hard for a class of Autistic children who need routine. And this is the hardest time of the year because today is Sinterklaas, so they celebrated that on Friday and that's always a day with a LOT of stimulation and distraction....music, decorations, presents....it's always an issue. A's 14th birthday was Friday, but he wasn't allowed to celebrate his birthday that day because it was the Sinterklaas celebration that day. Thank goodness Fridays are always half-days for him because he came home in tears, frustrated, he had a horrible day and he was so angry, slamming doors and tossing his backpack roughly onto the couch. He was in a mood. And the teacher doesn't know him, so she really had a hard time interpreting what was going on with him. I wish they'd get a permanent replacement! They desperately need a regular teacher.

PUSH

Original Poster
So what do you do if a parent doesn't want their child to celebrate something that you normally would have a party for at school? Does the kid just have to stay home that day? Or is there a classroom for all of the kids who don't celebrate that particular holiday? Or do you not celebrate any holiday if one student is banned from it?
I just don't celebrate Christmas. I would celebrate winter, instead. Or I would ask the family if it's okay to do certain things.
They really are incredibly talented. Did you ever see the Pitch Perfect movies? They have a cameo in the 2nd one.
I haven't seen either of them.

Songbird76

I just don't celebrate Christmas. I would celebrate winter, instead. Or I would ask the family if it's okay to do certain things.

I haven't seen either of them.
There are actually 3 Pitch Perfect movies. The first one is the best, but the third is better than the second. The music is phenomenal in them. In the first two, it's all a capella, and they are all just such talented people and they have really unique arrangments. There are certain songs on the radio that I like the Pitch Perfect versions better than the originals. I would definitely recommend at least googling the music and listening to some of them, like the Bellas' final performance from the first movie. There are something like 7 or 8 different songs layered in there and it's amazing. In the 3rd movie, they do a version of Britney Spears' Toxic that is far better than she could ever sing it, but then I've never been a fan of her voice. The riff-offs are fun, too.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Does it happen a lot that you have to cover for another teacher? A's class still doesn't have a teacher, so they have other teachers covering on their days off or whatever, and we've had a few days that they couldn't get anyone to cover, so they just give the kids an assignment to do at home. It's been rough this year. A different teacher every day, the teachers don't know the kids, the kids don't know the teachers....some of them are coming from the other locations of the school. Teaching is a different animal over here. Most teachers don't teach full time at one school. They will work 2 days at one school and 3 days at another, or will only work 2 days a week total. So the kids have one teacher on Mondays and Tuesdays, but a different teacher the rest of the week. Or they might have a teacher on Mondays and Fridays, but the middle days are different. So they have just been grabbing random teachers to fill in the days, so there might be 4 or 5 different teachers for A's class in one week, and then the next week another 3 different teachers. There's no consistancy, which is really hard for a class of Autistic children who need routine. And this is the hardest time of the year because today is Sinterklaas, so they celebrated that on Friday and that's always a day with a LOT of stimulation and distraction....music, decorations, presents....it's always an issue. A's 14th birthday was Friday, but he wasn't allowed to celebrate his birthday that day because it was the Sinterklaas celebration that day. Thank goodness Fridays are always half-days for him because he came home in tears, frustrated, he had a horrible day and he was so angry, slamming doors and tossing his backpack roughly onto the couch. He was in a mood. And the teacher doesn't know him, so she really had a hard time interpreting what was going on with him. I wish they'd get a permanent replacement! They desperately need a regular teacher.

Wow that sounds pretty nightmarish. And too bad A couldn't celebrate his birthday at school. Happy Belated to him.

We don't have to cover other teachers classes a lot. One year I and another teacher had to cover the band and the choir teacher's middle school classes often during our prep. Both the band and choir teacher were having a lot of health problems and seemed to schedule their dr appointments in the afternoon, if a sub couldn't be found we were asked to cover. In our contract it says that they can only ask us to cover another teacher's class once a semester during our prep time, but non of us want to be a jerk and say no to our secretary who has to find coverage and we do get paid. The year I and the other teacher had to keep covering for band and choir we would just rotate and take turns.

PUSH

Original Poster
Wow that sounds pretty nightmarish. And too bad A couldn't celebrate his birthday at school. Happy Belated to him.

We don't have to cover other teachers classes a lot. One year I and another teacher had to cover the band and the choir teacher's middle school classes often during our prep. Both the band and choir teacher were having a lot of health problems and seemed to schedule their dr appointments in the afternoon, if a sub couldn't be found we were asked to cover. In our contract it says that they can only ask us to cover another teacher's class once a semester during our prep time, but non of us want to be a jerk and say no to our secretary who has to find coverage and we do get paid. The year I and the other teacher had to keep covering for band and choir we would just rotate and take turns.
I had to cover for art last year, too, except I had to teach the art lesson, and I didn't get paid. A couple years ago my teammate's dad passed away. One of the days she was gone, they couldn't find a sub, so her class got split between the other three first grade classes for the day. None of us got paid. I know there are other times I've covered, too, but those are the two other times that stick out. This is the first time I've ever gotten paid for any of it.

Now that I'm seeing what a good principal looks like, I'm understanding how bad our leadership has been over my first four years. I mean, I knew it was bad, but it was worse than I thought because that's all I knew.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I had to cover for art last year, too, except I had to teach the art lesson, and I didn't get paid. A couple years ago my teammate's dad passed away. One of the days she was gone, they couldn't find a sub, so her class got split between the other three first grade classes for the day. None of us got paid. I know there are other times I've covered, too, but those are the two other times that stick out. This is the first time I've ever gotten paid for any of it.

Now that I'm seeing what a good principal looks like, I'm understanding how bad our leadership has been over my first four years. I mean, I knew it was bad, but it was worse than I thought because that's all I knew.

The like is for having a good principal now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom