Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

PUSH

Original Poster
Start at the beginning!
That's what I recommended. And that's what he's going to start with. But I told him if he found it boring or slow that I would give him a list of some other seasons that would be a little more exciting, but still give him a taste of the evolution of the game. Actually, in the extended offseason, Shannon Guss (a Survivor podcaster who is part of Rob Has a Podcast, but she hosts the international Survivor shows) put together her rankings of how to watch the seasons:

1637623322767.png

I generally agree with everything, maybe tweaking a couple things here and there. But I would always recommend going in order. I'm glad I did that after watching seasons 26-28. It's good to get the historical context and see the evolution from season to season. It makes you appreciate the show more, even if not all of the seasons are great.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
That's what I recommended. And that's what he's going to start with. But I told him if he found it boring or slow that I would give him a list of some other seasons that would be a little more exciting, but still give him a taste of the evolution of the game. Actually, in the extended offseason, Shannon Guss (a Survivor podcaster who is part of Rob Has a Podcast, but she hosts the international Survivor shows) put together her rankings of how to watch the seasons:

View attachment 602398

I generally agree with everything, maybe tweaking a couple things here and there. But I would always recommend going in order. I'm glad I did that after watching seasons 26-28. It's good to get the historical context and see the evolution from season to season. It makes you appreciate the show more, even if not all of the seasons are great.
As you know, I’m been out of the Survivor loop for many years. The last 4 or 5 seasons of Big Brother have failed to engage me. I’m getting old.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
What's the last season of Survivor you've watched?
I hopped back in for the all winners season after a 4-5 year (year, not season) hiatus, and haven’t watched a season beyond the first episode since.

I don’t like new school. I’m an admirer of the old school game.

PUSH

Original Poster
I hopped back in for the all winners season after a 4-5 year (year, not season) hiatus, and haven’t watched a season beyond the first episode since.

I don’t like new school. I’m an admirer of the old school game.
I much prefer the old school game, too, but still enjoy the new school stuff. I just wish it was more about the social gameplay than maneuvering twists and advantages. I think the sweet spot for Survivor was around seasons 25-32 (Philippines to Kaoh Rong). There were idols, but they weren't overwhelming. It was fun and exciting when they got used. Sure, some of the seasons might not have been the best in that era, but that was more on casting than the structure of the game. Today's casting is far better than that era. I think they're casting better today than ever before. That's what makes it even more frustrating. These casts don't need the twists and gimmicks. If you could take today's casting with that era's structure, that'd be perfect.

NYwdwfan

Guys, I just had someone ask me for a recommendation on where to start with watching old seasons of Survivor. He's really into season 41 and has no idea where to start. So in return, I probably overwhelmed him with the options I gave him. Hopefully I don't scare him away.
Did you watch his eyes glaze over and keep talking anyway?
Start at the beginning!
A very good place to start!
you should both post on the same thread so we can see both prospectives
For sure.
We’ll be sharing a hotel room. She will see me posting. 😂😂
And you will see photos of me watching her post :hilarious:
I much prefer the old school game, too, but still enjoy the new school stuff. I just wish it was more about the social gameplay than maneuvering twists and advantages. I think the sweet spot for Survivor was around seasons 25-32 (Philippines to Kaoh Rong). There were idols, but they weren't overwhelming. It was fun and exciting when they got used. Sure, some of the seasons might not have been the best in that era, but that was more on casting than the structure of the game. Today's casting is far better than that era. I think they're casting better today than ever before. That's what makes it even more frustrating. These casts don't need the twists and gimmicks. If you could take today's casting with that era's structure, that'd be perfect.
Agreed. Less potatoes along for the ride these days. Although we don't get the caliber of a Corinne very often.

PUSH

Original Poster
Did you watch his eyes glaze over and keep talking anyway?

Agreed. Less potatoes along for the ride these days. Although we don't get the caliber of a Corinne very often.
It was over text, so I didn't get facial reactions.

And agreed that they have gone away from casting characters like Corinne, which is a bummer. I feel like Sydney had some Corinne energy this season, but we didn't get to see that with how the season panned out. But overall, Survivor isn't looking for heroes and villains during casting. They are looking for good players. Overall that's a good thing, but I still miss seeing the larger than life personalities like Rupert, Coach, and Corinne. But anything is better than the mactor casts they had from 21-24.

NYwdwfan

It was over text, so I didn't get facial reactions.

And agreed that they have gone away from casting characters like Corinne, which is a bummer. I feel like Sydney had some Corinne energy this season, but we didn't get to see that with how the season panned out. But overall, Survivor isn't looking for heroes and villains during casting. They are looking for good players. Overall that's a good thing, but I still miss seeing the larger than life personalities like Rupert, Coach, and Corinne. But anything is better than the mactor casts they had from 21-24.
Agreed on Sydney.

Goofyernmost

I wouldn't know who Adele is if she walked up and bit me. If I've heard her music I apparently wasn't impressed enough to try and find out who is performing it. From what I have been able to gather from the comments of others that she is famous for having sad, everybody is doing me wrong songs, sad enough to be in the country western genre. All she would need is a dog and a pickup.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I wouldn't know who Adele is if she walked up and bit me. If I've heard her music I apparently wasn't impressed enough to try and find out who is performing it. From what I have been able to gather from the comments of others that she is famous for having sad, everybody is doing me wrong songs, sad enough to be in the country western genre. All she would need is a dog and a pickup.
No, that’s Taylor Swift.
Adele actually has real singing chops.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom