Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

Goofyernmost

Sadly, I didn't win the weekly prize, because another person guessed them all right and beat me on the tie breaker. But it helps my case for the season-long prizes... which I am still in 29th place for. But I bumped up from 37th place.
OK, for now, but don't forget all of us that have supported you since your college years and before with kind words and completely useless advice. We're family! 🤗😉

Goofyernmost

You exhaust me just reading all that you do.

I am a lazy sloth by comparison. (I’m okay with it though.)
Sloth is a good thing... I've been practicing for that all my life.

Everytime I read about @Figgy1 and her cooking adventures all I can think of is little house on the prairie. My oldest daughter has the same affliction. Between her and her husband they make almost all their own edibles. If they didn't live in suburbia I'm sure they would have cattle, chickens and pigs in their back yard along with a 4 acre veggie garden. She told me how much they spend for ingredients and I felt that they could equal my years expenditure on groceries in about 2 months. Most of that would be for the equipment needed in the modern age just do make their own foods. It's commendable, but one the escapes both my ability and desire (mostly desire) to work that hard just for nourishment. I've made it 76 years now living almost entirely on the labors of others when it comes to food. It's hard to expect more than that outcome.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
I can make soup and have many times, but have never been successful attempting to make gravy of any type. I guess it doesn't work the other way around.
I can also make gravy. I sort of cheat though by using a seasoning packet that gets added to my pan drippings, the water from my boiled giblets, and however much vegetable water I need to reach the required 4-6 cups of liquid.

My mom used to make hers the same way, but with Bisto and cornstarch. The packet I use is essentially the same as Bisto, but the thickener is already included.

My mother-in-law was a wonderful cook, but her gravy was abysmal! Mike still gets mad when I call it brown wallpaper paste. Snap out of it, babe - she used pan drippings, vegetable water, flour to thicken, and instant coffee crystals to give it colour. And maybe salt, although I could never taste it. Beef gravy, turkey gravy, chicken gravy … same process, same wallpaper paste. Abysmal!

Figgy1

Sloth is a good thing... I've been practicing for that all my life.

Everytime I read about @Figgy1 and her cooking adventures all I can think of is little house on the prairie. My oldest daughter has the same affliction. Between her and her husband they make almost all their own edibles. If they didn't live in suburbia I'm sure they would have cattle, chickens and pigs in their back yard along with a 4 acre veggie garden. She told me how much they spend for ingredients and I felt that they could equal my years expenditure on groceries in about 2 months. Most of that would be for the equipment needed in the modern age just do make their own foods. It's commendable, but one the escapes both my ability and desire (mostly desire) to work that hard just for nourishment. I've made it 76 years now living almost entirely on the labors of others when it comes to food. It's hard to expect more than that outcome.
Correction: 10 acres, no cattle, maybe some chickens and you'd be surprised how little I spend compared to the volume of food the boys consume. That said while I do like cooking, luckily for the boys, I'm also CHEAP, VERY CHEAP. For instance, I may spend a good amount on apples/apple products this time of year but during the rest of the year not so much, applesauce comes to about a quarter of the price of the stuff from the supermarket. The same holds true for salsa and the tomatoes I put up came to less than sale price on the brand I like. Champagne taste, beer budget;)
As for your approach I also love it, my mil is getting to that point

Figgy1

I can also make gravy. I sort of cheat though by using a seasoning packet that gets added to my pan drippings, the water from my boiled giblets, and however much vegetable water I need to reach the required 4-6 cups of liquid.

My mom used to make hers the same way, but with Bisto and cornstarch. The packet I use is essentially the same as Bisto, but the thickener is already included.

My mother-in-law was a wonderful cook, but her gravy was abysmal! Mike still gets mad when I call it brown wallpaper paste. Snap out of it, babe - she used pan drippings, vegetable water, flour to thicken, and instant coffee crystals to give it colour. And maybe salt, although I could never taste it. Beef gravy, turkey gravy, chicken gravy … same process, same wallpaper paste. Abysmal!

Same!

Well, this explains why, I definitely can't make gravy...I think partially because I don't usually put it on anything.
Gravy in this case is tomato sauce with meat;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom