Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

Goofyernmost

We love The Island! What was the $14 ride you rode?

Mike and I were in PF quite a bit in 2022, but we decided to forego SkyFly for some reason.
It was the giant Ferris Wheel. Went on with three of my grandkids. I have always loved Soarin' so believe me, to admit that SkyFly was better is quite painful. Especially when I remembered that if it hadn't been for Soarin' there probably wouldn't have ever been a SkyFly. I highly recommend it.

Goofyernmost

Your kids are growing up! Sooner than you know, you and Hubs will be empty-nesters.

Looks around at my 28 and 29 year olds still living at home :cautious: ....

Or not.
Yup, my daughter has a 23 year old still living at home. I got a lot of side eye when I mentioned that when I was 23 I was married and had finished college and spent a year in a war. He's got some catching up to do. By the time I was 28 or 29, I had a two year old and a 1 year old, a mortgage, two cars and whole bunches of cartoons I had to watch. Oh, yea in that time frame I also spent a lot of my free time trying to find a gas station where I could buy 10 gallons of gas so I could get to work.

Last edited:

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
Yup, my daughter has a 23 year old still living at home. I got a lot of side eye when I mentioned that when I was 23 I was married and had finished college and spent a year in a war. He's got some catching up to do. By the time I was 28 or 29, I had a two year old and a 1 year old, a mortgage, two cars and whole bunches of cartoons I had to watch. Oh, yea in that time frame I also spent a lot of my free time trying to find a gas station where I could buy 10 gallons of gas so I could get to work.
Yup. At 29, I’d been out of my parents’ house for 10 years; had a house and mortgage of my own, two kids, two cars, a dog, a husband … and a sense of pride and accomplishment.

Now, at almost 57, I somehow still have a mortgage (don’t ask), AND RENT, two kids, two cars, a dog, a husband … and a sense that I haven’t actually progressed that far in the Game of Life.

SteveBrickNJ

Yup. At 29, I’d been out of my parents’ house for 10 years; had a house and mortgage of my own, two kids, two cars, a dog, a husband … and a sense of pride and accomplishment.

Now, at almost 57, I somehow still have a mortgage (don’t ask), AND RENT, two kids, two cars, a dog, a husband … and a sense that I haven’t actually progressed that far in the Game of Life.
You still have the same husband after all these years. Since divorce is unfortunately commonplace....your good and longstanding marriage is in itself a fine accomplishment. ;)

MinnieM123

Premium Member

You've progressed on all fronts. Period.

JenniferS

Premium Member
You've progressed on all fronts. Period.
I guess I’ve got an unsettled feeling. We’re encouraging the boys to move out by early spring, and then we’d like to sell the house and move up here permanently.

We will be working here for the next 4-6 years, which takes us to retirement age - then we’d like to travel 6 months (the yucky ones) and enjoy the maintenance-free lifestyle of an apartment or condo the rest of the year.

There is nothing keeping us in Brantford right now except the house.

Goofyernmost

You have progressed, it's your boys that haven't launched yet. Don't make your plans around what they decide to do, force the issue. From what I've been able to witness, you and Mike have done very well financially, emotionally and since you're still together you have no idea what an accomplishment that is. You've set a good example for the boys (men) and they will know what they will need to do to be accomplished themselves. If they have half the ability to make friends as you and Mike, they will be alright. It's time for you to take care of yourselves. You've done twice the parenting that is expected of you and the time from here on goes at warp speed and you won't be able to get Scotty to slow it down.

Oh, and I know all about substantial mortgages just when you get to the point of life when it should be gone. I had one until I was 63. Renting is sometimes frowned upon, but let me tell you how great it feels to just call the landlord when your furnace goes out and it's twenty below.

PUSH

Original Poster
Renting is sometimes frowned upon, but let me tell you how great it feels to just call the landlord when your furnace goes out and it's twenty below.
If they actually come fix it... mine is hit or miss. They don't write anything down and don't remember half the things they say. Granted, I haven't had anything as major as a furnace going out during the winter.

There are definitely pros and cons to owning vs renting, and it really depends on your life's circumstances at the time.

Goofyernmost

If they actually come fix it... mine is hit or miss. They don't write anything down and don't remember half the things they say. Granted, I haven't had anything as major as a furnace going out during the winter.

There are definitely pros and cons to owning vs renting, and it really depends on your life's circumstances at the time.
When you own, you may have to still wait and on top of that you have a hefty bill to pay. If something serious happens I'm sure you know how to keep calling so they cannot forget. I agree that it depends on life's circumstances. If you are married and have children it is not always financially possible to rent and if everything goes well, health and happiness wise it is a very handy thing to have the equity that you accumulate over the years. It, of course, is wonderful to own your own place and most people really want to do that, but there comes a time in life when that is no longer ideal due to cost. There is nothing better than to have a home paid in full after you retire, but life circumstances don't always work out like that. So every decision we make in life depends a great deal on circumstances at the time.

JenniferS

Premium Member
You have progressed, it's your boys that haven't launched yet. Don't make your plans around what they decide to do, force the issue. From what I've been able to witness, you and Mike have done very well financially, emotionally and since you're still together you have no idea what an accomplishment that is. You've set a good example for the boys (men) and they will know what they will need to do to be accomplished themselves. If they have half the ability to make friends as you and Mike, they will be alright. It's time for you to take care of yourselves. You've done twice the parenting that is expected of you and the time from here on goes at warp speed and you won't be able to get Scotty to slow it down.

Oh, and I know all about substantial mortgages just when you get to the point of life when it should be gone. I had one until I was 63. Renting is sometimes frowned upon, but let me tell you how great it feels to just call the landlord when your furnace goes out and it's twenty below.
The problem for today’s young people is the cost of housing. Last year alone, Canada let in 1 million legal immigrants, which has driven up the cost of housing.

An entry level, mid-unit (as opposed to end unit) townhouse will cost at least $650,000 outside of the GTA. More than a mill in the GTA. I’ve got three townhouse listings in Pickering (one hour NE of Toronto) priced between $999,999 and $1.2 mill. That’s crazy!

Mike and I moved up here to Timbuktu, where we pay $2400 month in rent … plus hydro (power or electric to you). Nobody making $20/hour can afford that. And a lot of people don’t make $20/hr!

PUSH

Original Poster
The problem for today’s young people is the cost of housing. Last year alone, Canada let in 1 million legal immigrants, which has driven up the cost of housing.

An entry level, mid-unit (as opposed to end unit) townhouse will cost at least $650,000 outside of the GTA. More than a mill in the GTA. I’ve got three townhouse listings in Pickering (one hour NE of Toronto) priced between $999,999 and $1.2 mill. That’s crazy!

Mike and I moved up here to Timbuktu, where we pay $2400 month in rent … plus hydro (power or electric to you). Nobody making $20/hour can afford that. And a lot of people don’t make $20/hr!
These are my exact thoughts. Housing costs are preventing young people from being able to moving out, without sinking their futures. If I would have moved out of my parents' house right after college, I would have been living paycheck to paycheck. I wouldn't have been able to save any money or build a security cushion.

Also down here, tuition costs are insane. Young people are decades behind because of the loans they have to take before they can even make money. Some people's student loan debt is not too far off from being equivalent to a home loan. It's just not feasible for many people to have student loans, car payments, and a mortgage to pay off. And there's little chance of them building up enough for a down payment on a house, let alone be able to afford having a family.

It's not just something that they should've planned better for. They aren't being irresponsible. It's not because they get Starbucks. Housing costs, tuition, and inflation in general have far outpaced wages. I have never gotten a pay raise that has kept up with inflation, so my salary continues to fall farther and farther behind.

PUSH

Original Poster
Look at what I picked up today!

20240712_205456.jpg20240712_205507.jpg

I also included a couple gifts I picked out at Disney that I said I was going to get for Christmas, but my parents gave them to me for my birthday instead. The mug was really hard to showcase the engraving... I put the black shirt behind it to help a bit.

20240712_205620.jpg20240712_205602.jpg

Can you tell I like Epcot a little bit?

FutureCEO

View attachment 799836View attachment 799837

I also included a couple gifts I picked out at Disney that I said I was going to get for Christmas, but my parents gave them to me for my birthday instead. The mug was really hard to showcase the engraving... I put the black shirt behind it to help a bit.

View attachment 799839View attachment 799840

Epcot and Animal Kingdom are my favorite parks. Well, I guess the term was would be appropriate. Before Disney ruined them. Technically not yet with Animal Kingdom but they will.

Goofyernmost

To some degree that is true, however, when I bought my first house for $25000.00 it was just as hard to come up with the money as today's prices. The only young people that I have experience with had worked hard, got an education and a skill that pays more than minimum wage and if they couldn't afford a house or sometimes even to rent they went in on a shared occupancy with friends until they could save enough to afford a starter home. If people are unable to pay for todays housing, I guarantee you that housing would cost less. But, they are buying them and from what I've heard without much hesitation.

The real problem is that back in the day independent builders built starter homes, they don't do that anymore and the profit margin on those big, expensive places make it more attractive to build and it leaves out a lot of people.

Here in the states when I bought my first house the minimum wage was under $3.00 per hour but they, maybe still do, have government subsidized housing loans such as Farmers Home Loans, that I had to use back then to help with start up. It didn't last forever and the housing had to be at a certain price range an in a more rural setting, but it got a lot of people started in home ownership that lead to eventual upgrading as careers started to take hold.

I have found that todays youth don't want to do that interim stuff, they want to go from mom and dads to semi-mansions and are unwilling to deal with the hardships that give one the incentive and goals to do better and try harder. There should be a system were one can climb a ladder to the goal not just expect it immediately. It's just that sometimes in order to improve you have to pay your dues and that made it difficult at first but so much more rewarding when one finally makes it to the goal. Now it seems that the prevailing attitude is "if it ain't on the top, I ain't interested". That applies to jobs and housing and willingness to become independent.

Taylor

View attachment 799836View attachment 799837

View attachment 799839View attachment 799840

That shirt is pretty awesome ngl. I like it when they go for the simpler looks.

JenniferS

Premium Member
To some degree that is true, however, when I bought my first house for $25000.00 it was just as hard to come up with the money as today's prices. The only young people that I have experience with had worked hard, got an education and a skill that pays more than minimum wage and if they couldn't afford a house or sometimes even to rent they went in on a shared occupancy with friends until they could save enough to afford a starter home. If people are unable to pay for todays housing, I guarantee you that housing would cost less. But, they are buying them and from what I've heard without much hesitation.

The real problem is that back in the day independent builders built starter homes, they don't do that anymore and the profit margin on those big, expensive places make it more attractive to build and it leaves out a lot of people.

Here in the states when I bought my first house the minimum wage was under $3.00 per hour but they, maybe still do, have government subsidized housing loans such as Farmers Home Loans, that I had to use back then to help with start up. It didn't last forever and the housing had to be at a certain price range an in a more rural setting, but it got a lot of people started in home ownership that lead to eventual upgrading as careers started to take hold.

I have found that todays youth don't want to do that interim stuff, they want to go from mom and dads to semi-mansions and are unwilling to deal with the hardships that give one the incentive and goals to do better and try harder. There should be a system were one can climb a ladder to the goal not just expect it immediately. It's just that sometimes in order to improve you have to pay your dues and that made it difficult at first but so much more rewarding when one finally makes it to the goal. Now it seems that the prevailing attitude is "if it ain't on the top, I ain't interested". That applies to jobs and housing and willingness to become independent.
This is where I totally disagree with you. This is all I have done for a living for 35 years. Housing affordability has never been worse.

Look at these figures for the past four years alone. And this is to buy a "regular" condo apartment. That means not new, not waterfront, no concierge or rooftop spa and pool ....
"Close to 60% of all households could afford to own at least a regular condo apartment in 2019 based on their income. That share has plummeted to 45% in 2023. An even tinier 26% could now afford a (relatively more expensive) single-family home."

Nearly one in five Ontarians are spending more than 50% of their income on RENT! "In Ontario, 36% of renters are spending 31 to 50% of their income on housing expenses while 18% are spending over 50%."

When I moved out in 1986, minimum wage was $7.22/hr, and my rent was $165/month.
Now the minimum wage is $17.20, but the average one bedroom apartment rents for $2431/month.
The math ain't mathing.

Like I said, housing affordability in Ontario has never (ever, ever, ever) been worse.

Also, this generation of buyers have never seen interest rates this high. They got used to prime being 2.25%. Now it's almost 7%. And yes, when I started selling new homes in 1989, the mortgage interest rate was 11 3/4%, but I was selling 3315 sq ft on a 60' lot for $265,900. I currently have a 20' middle unit townhouse in Pickering for $1.2 million. I mean it's nice, but 1.2 for a townhouse ... gimme a break.

Most of the youth I know, are starting out in (sometimes legal) basement apartments with a buddy or two. None of them even has aspirations of buying a McMansion anymore; it's just too far out of reach. Most have resigned themselves to being renters for their entire lives. Anecdotally I will add, that a lot of young girls I know are starting their families at 21 and 22. Not oopsies - calculated decisions. There is no huge impetus to establish a career, get married, and buy a house BEFORE having kids now, because it's not an attainable goal; so they're having them early, and by the time they reach 28, 29 the kids are already in school full time, and now they can start the career thing.

tl;dr - life is expensive.

ETA - I have a LISTING for a $1.2 million townhouse. Did not mean to imply that I own it.

Last edited:

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
This is where I totally disagree with you. This is all I have done for a living for 35 years. Housing affordability has never been worse.

Look at these figures for the past four years alone. And this is to buy a "regular" condo apartment. That means not new, not waterfront, no concierge or rooftop spa and pool ....
"Close to 60% of all households could afford to own at least a regular condo apartment in 2019 based on their income. That share has plummeted to 45% in 2023. An even tinier 26% could now afford a (relatively more expensive) single-family home."

Nearly one in five Ontarians are spending more than 50% of their income on RENT! "In Ontario, 36% of renters are spending 31 to 50% of their income on housing expenses while 18% are spending over 50%."

When I moved out in 1986, minimum wage was $7.22/hr, and my rent was $165/month.
Now the minimum wage is $17.20, but the average one bedroom apartment rents for $2431/month.
The math ain't mathing.

Like I said, housing affordability in Ontario has never (ever, ever, ever) been worse.

Also, this generation of buyers have never seen interest rates this high. They got used to prime being 2.25%. Now it's almost 7%. And yes, when I started selling new homes in 1989, the mortgage interest rate was 11 3/4%, but I was selling 3315 sq ft on a 60' lot for $265,900. I currently have a 20' middle unit townhouse in Pickering for $1.2 million. I mean it's nice, but 1.2 for a townhouse ... gimme a break.

Most of the youth I know, are starting out in (sometimes legal) basement apartments with a buddy or two. None of them even has aspirations of buying a McMansion anymore; it's just too far out of reach. Most have resigned themselves to being renters for their entire lives. Anecdotally I will add, that a lot of young girls I know are starting their families at 21 and 22. Not oopsies - calculated decisions. There is no huge impetus to establish a career, get married, and buy a house BEFORE having kids now, because it's not an attainable goal; so they're having them early, and by the time they reach 28, 29 the kids are already in school full time, and now they can start the career thing.

tl;dr - life is expensive.
You are describing a pretty similar situation as to what we have here. Add to the bonkers prices to buy a high rental price level due to incoming "essential workers" who's relocation package includes a substantial rent allowance and it now becomes even harder for locals to afford.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom