Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

PUSH

Original Poster
I can't remember if I said this, but my mom and dad started the drive back around 3:30 today. I am flying back. Our flight leaves at 6:30 am, so the shuttle picks us up at 2:50 am. I'm going to be tired tomorrow.

This afternoon, I went to the pool. Then my brother, SIL and I went for supper at the food court. I got the chicken strips, but they were fresh and delicious. I also got a cookies and cream shake, which was also delicious.

I might go sit by the pool for another half hour or so until I come back up for bed.

It's starting to hit me that my vacation is ending. It's always so sad to leave Disney. You have months of anticipation, then it comes and goes in a blink.

Figgy1

I can't remember if I said this, but my mom and dad started the drive back around 3:30 today. I am flying back. Our flight leaves at 6:30 am, so the shuttle picks us up at 2:50 am. I'm going to be tired tomorrow.

This afternoon, I went to the pool. Then my brother, SIL and I went for supper at the food court. I got the chicken strips, but they were fresh and delicious. I also got a cookies and cream shake, which was also delicious.

I might go sit by the pool for another half hour or so until I come back up for bed.

It's starting to hit me that my vacation is ending. It's always so sad to leave Disney. You have months of anticipation, then it comes and goes in a blink.
safe travels

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
My dad and I have said we'd like to do Disneyland, but I don't know if the rest of the crew wants to.

My aunt, uncle, and cousins are already hounding us for WDW next year since they couldn't go this year.
theme park disneyland GIF

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I would need to do a lot of research... I don't know a lot about Disneyland. I could plan WDW in my sleep.
It doesn't require as much planning but the small amount of planning can be fun.

My main tips: stay at one of the Best Westerns on Harbor (closer and cheaper than the Disney hotels to the turnstiles except Grand Californian), fly into SNA/John Wayne or Long Beach (avoid LAX like the plague), buy tickets at Undercover Tourist and make sure you get Genie+ (so much better at DLR than WDW).

If you have any questions ask away!

PUSH

Original Poster
It doesn't require as much planning but the small amount of planning can be fun.

My main tips: stay at one of the Best Westerns on Harbor (closer and cheaper than the Disney hotels to the turnstiles except Grand Californian), fly into SNA/John Wayne or Long Beach (avoid LAX like the plague), buy tickets at Undercover Tourist and make sure you get Genie+ (so much better at DLR than WDW).

If you have any questions ask away!
Do you have to be as strategic with what rides you do at certain times? For example, you have to rope drop certain rides at WDW, or you won't get them.

Does staying at a Best Western lose the "magic". I know it's not a "bubble" like WDW, but one thing I like is having that Disney theming all around me.

PUSH

Original Poster
I didn't sit by the pool after dinner, but I went for a walk and just appreciated the fact that I'm here. I've been bad about that this trip. It was supposed to be stormy this afternoon/evening, so it turned out to be beautiful. The sky was amazing, and I had to take some pictures.

20240621_193737.jpg20240621_194243.jpg20240621_194311.jpg20240621_194339.jpg

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Do you have to be as strategic with what rides you do at certain times? For example, you have to rope drop certain rides at WDW, or you won't get them.

Does staying at a Best Western lose the "magic". I know it's not a "bubble" like WDW, but one thing I like is having that Disney theming all around me.
There is a little strategy but it depends on what you want to do. I usually rope drop Fantasyland and knock out all of those and rely on Genie or single rider other “top” attractions. Never rope drop Rise because it is in the back of the park and rarely ready right away. At DCA Guardians is my rope drop because I know I can single rider (even when I go with my husband) Webslingers and Racers. But again with Genie you can do all the top attractions easily in a day there too. With Genie at Disneyland it is easy to book attractions throughout your day and if you play the system of booking attractions that might go down or are down the anytime experiences are easy to get too. Like over Easter I had four anytime passes but a couple rides booked all at the same time.

As for staying at a Disney hotel, I have never seen any of the hotels for less than $450 a night. The Disneyland hotel and Grand Californian even with discount can be around $600 or more a night, those prices burst my Disney bubble. I have stayed at 5 different hotels on Harbor and one on Katella, Harbor is better and I really don’t see any loss of not being “on property “. At the Best Westerns and the Candy Cane it included a decent breakfast everyday. From the Best Western Park Place I have times my walk and most days I could walk from the turnstile to my room in 5 minutes maybe a little more if I had to wait at the stoplight. I have traveled with people and on my own and I never once felt unsafe even though there are a few homeless people around. The BW Anaheim Inn and Tropicana are almost as close, the Candy Cane is about a 12-15 minute walk but they do have a shuttle. Stayed at the HOJO too and it was nice but about the same as the Best Western in price and the BWs are closer and I earn points. So basically a long winded way to say no I don’t feel like I’m out of the bubble, I would rather pay less to be closer and have more $$ to spend on other stuff there. I also love walking up to the crosswalk and seeing the big Disneyland sign and walking under that every morning. I suppose if I was a big pool person I might want a Disney pool. Oh and it is easy to just hang out in the Grand Cali lobby or in front of the fireplace by Trader Sam’s at the Disneyland Hotel and “feel” the Disney resort vibe.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
There is a little strategy but it depends on what you want to do. I usually rope drop Fantasyland and knock out all of those and rely on Genie or single rider other “top” attractions. Never rope drop Rise because it is in the back of the park and rarely ready right away. At DCA Guardians is my rope drop because I know I can single rider (even when I go with my husband) Webslingers and Racers. But again with Genie you can do all the top attractions easily in a day there too. With Genie at Disneyland it is easy to book attractions throughout your day and if you play the system of booking attractions that might go down or are down the anytime experiences are easy to get too. Like over Easter I had four anytime passes but a couple rides booked all at the same time.

As for staying at a Disney hotel, I have never seen any of the hotels for less than $450 a night. The Disneyland hotel and Grand Californian even with discount can be around $600 or more a night, those prices burst my Disney bubble. I have stayed at 5 different hotels on Harbor and one on Katella, Harbor is better and I really don’t see any loss of not being “on property “. At the Best Westerns and the Candy Cane it included a decent breakfast everyday. From the Best Western Park Place I have times my walk and most days I could walk from the turnstile to my room in 5 minutes maybe a little more if I had to wait at the stoplight. I have traveled with people and on my own and I never once felt unsafe even though there are a few homeless people around. The BW Anaheim Inn and Tropicana are almost as close, the Candy Cane is about a 12-15 minute walk but they do have a shuttle. Stayed at the HOJO too and it was nice but about the same as the Best Western in price and the BWs are closer and I earn points. So basically a long winded way to say no I don’t feel like I’m out of the bubble, I would rather pay less to be closer and have more $$ to spend on other stuff there. I also love walking up to the crosswalk and seeing the big Disneyland sign and walking under that every morning. I suppose if I was a big pool person I might want a Disney pool. Oh and it is easy to just hang out in the Grand Cali lobby or in front of the fireplace by Trader Sam’s at the Disneyland Hotel and “feel” the Disney resort vibe.
Next time I go, I want to stay at Candy Cane. It looks sooooo good post-refurb … and it was already a fan favourite in its pre-refurb state!

PUSH

Original Poster

Thanks for the info. This is all good to know if we do end up going sometime.

How many days would you allocate for the parks? And what other things have you done outside of the parks?

Goofyernmost

Bestie and I did 5. I would have liked at least 2 more.
I did 5 days when I went and took one day off to drive to Universal Hollywood. I'm sure there must be some shuttle service to Uni. It is well worth the trip because you have never seen a place more unique and the backlot tour is well worth the effort. That was in 2005 during Disneyland's 50th. Unfortunately, that was before California Adventure was redone and except for Soarin' (where I saw it for the first time) I had a problem finding anything that I liked at that park. I don't know what that one is like now, but it would have to be better.

I wish I could remember what airport I flew into but it wasn't LAX. I rented a car and drove to Anaheim. I didn't find it to be much different then driving in the Orlando area. I also don't remember the name of the hotel either, but it was one of those Disney approved places on Disney drive. It wasn't a fancy place but due to it's location it felt and looked like it was actually a part of Disney. That whole area is there for the express purpose of dealing with Disney guests. Disney Drive runs perpendicular to Harbor Blvd., but I walked from there straight to entrance of Disneyland every day. That was 19 years ago so I'm sure a lot has changed since then and I don't remember how long it took me to walk there but I do know when you factor in my hatred of walking places (at the time) it must have been quite a short timespan. I'd say less than 15 minutes. I do remember I booked tickets and hotel in a Disney package. With WDW my home destination for over 20 years at that time, I have never had a strong desire to go there again. The one place I would love to go to would have been Tokyo, but with my current mobility problems I don't think that will ever be possible.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Next time I go, I want to stay at Candy Cane. It looks sooooo good post-refurb … and it was already a fan favourite in its pre-refurb state!

It was pretty nice before the refurb too, the breakfast was really good. I wouldn't mind staying there again but it is a further walk (even though there is a shuttle) and I don't get reward points in a program besides my credit card for staying there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom