Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

Lilofan

I have found, in my tediously long life (so far), that eventually unless you are born rich the likelihood of lifetime car payments is something we just learned to accept. My Deville was the only car that I had paid off and was gloriously without any car payments for about 6 years, but it was replaced with $10K worth of repair bills. Sometimes you just can't win. Sounds like you got a happy set of coincidences with your deer problem though. I've often wrestled with the thoughts of getting a new one more often and pretty much riding out the warrantees then switching or just taking a chance.

My first "new" car was a 1970 Buick Skylark that I bought upon my return from Vietnam. Sort of an I earned it gift to myself. Back then to get any car to last over 100K in mileage was something special. I got it to 140K before it started to lose its dependability. In those early years of married adulting things were tight so the debt ended up being rolled over into other projects. I was technically still paying for it after all those years. I had it when I met my wife, brought home both my children in it and then, since we lived in a more rural area felt the need to trade it for a newer "used" Buick Skylark. That one wasn't nearly as good. The old one still ran fairly well but the winters and salty roads were taking it's toll. Cars are so much better now and the bodies are sealed against the bulk of the winter damage. These days anyone whose car isn't still like new at 150K isn't really trying or were attacked by trees or a deer.
I am old school, my cars are manual transmission , non turbo, port fuel injection. Many if not all cars are GDI- gas direct injection and it is not if but when those valves will be caked, driver will have obvious issues, and the intake manifold will have be taken off and valves cleaned and scraped by hand , average lifespan Toyota CVT about 140K , vehicles with turbo engines is just another item to eventually go wrong and fail. The worst issues that have direct injection issues as approaching over 60K mileage are the European makes namely VW and Audi. It is nice to drive a stick over the years since when my family and friends who want to borrow my car, they changed their minds since they don't know how to drive a stick.

PUSH

Original Poster
Rant coming up...

I see a lot of posts and videos about kids learning "new math". Parents are complaining about it. Many times, they show their kids doing the "new math", and it doesn't make sense to them because their child is doing it wrong. The other times, the parents who are saying it's so confusing are the same ones who say they're bad at math, and math is hard.

The "new math" is really teaching the same concepts, while making sure the students aren't just able to follow steps to solve the problem, but instead are developing a conceptual understanding of what's happening. We're teaching them how numbers work.

Example: 30 + 35 = ____

The old way: 5 + 0 = 5, 3 + 3 = 6, so 30 + 35 = 65. The problem with that is that it doesn't teach students that you're not really adding 3 + 3. Those threes are worth 30 because they are in the tens place and represent three 10s.

The "new" way: Understanding that 35 is really 30 + 5 (that's called decomposing numbers, which causes people to struggle with math if they don't fully understand it). Therefore we are adding our tens together first, so 30 + 30 = 60. Then we have 5 ones, so 60 + 5 = 65.

The new way provides a much deeper understanding of how numbers work. The old way is a process to get the correct answer, without having a deep understanding of how numbers work.

The goal is not just to produce the correct answer. The goal is to develop a deep understanding of algebra and numbers & operations. Having the deep understanding leads to higher level thinking, which in turn helps students when they enter the workforce.

Just because the parent doesn't understand it, doesn't make it wrong. We aren't trying to make it so the "parents can't teach their kids math" (literally a comment I saw accusing teachers). We're trying to make it so we don't have generations of people who think math is hard and can't do mental math... which is where we are at right now. I know I would be so much better at math had I been taught the ways I'm currently teaching. I was never good at math, because I didn't understand what was happening. I was just taught how to put numbers into an equation or process to produce a correct answer.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Rant coming up...

I see a lot of posts and videos about kids learning "new math". Parents are complaining about it. Many times, they show their kids doing the "new math", and it doesn't make sense to them because their child is doing it wrong. The other times, the parents who are saying it's so confusing are the same ones who say they're bad at math, and math is hard.

The "new math" is really teaching the same concepts, while making sure the students aren't just able to follow steps to solve the problem, but instead are developing a conceptual understanding of what's happening. We're teaching them how numbers work.

The old way: 5 + 0 = 5, 3 + 3 = 6, so 30 + 35 = 65. The problem with that is that it doesn't teach students that you're not really adding 3 + 3. Those threes are worth 30 because they are in the tens place and represent three 10s.

The "new" way: Understanding that 35 is really 30 + 5 (that's called decomposing numbers, which causes people to struggle with math if they don't fully understand it). Therefore we are adding our tens together first, so 30 + 30 = 60. Then we have 5 ones, so 60 + 5 = 65.

The new way provides a much deeper understanding of how numbers work. The old way is a process to get the correct answer, without having a deep understanding of how numbers work.

The goal is not just to produce the correct answer. The goal is to develop a deep understanding of algebra and numbers & operations. Having the deep understanding leads to higher level thinking, which in turn helps students when they enter the workforce.

Just because the parent doesn't understand it, doesn't make it wrong. We aren't trying to make it so the "parents can't teach their kids math" (literally a comment I saw accusing teachers). We're trying to make it so we don't have generations of people who think math is hard and can't do mental math... which is where we are at right now. I know I would be so much better at math had I been taught the ways I'm currently teaching. I was never good at math, because I didn't understand what was happening. I was just taught how to put numbers into an equation or process to produce a correct answer.
Neither of those ways make sense to me but hey I'm just a Raccoon .

FutureCEO

Rant coming up...

I'm trying to wrap my head around the old way because it would have been like that when I was in school. And I totally don't remember learning that.

Maybe my school was ahead of the times.

Wouldn't decomposing numbers disappear?

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Rant coming up...

While I appreciate your explanation (one which did not necessarily get fully explained on homework when I tried to help my kid 😉), I never once thought I was only just adding 3+3 but the numbers in the “ones“ column and when necessary carrying over the “ten”.

The reality is that with most subjects, one has to be taught with a method that speaks to how that individual learns. I recall one of my child’s elementary school teachers telling me she used at least two different methods to teach reading, to make sure she was capturing the different way her students processed information.

Goofyernmost

I sense a degree of skepticism in your reply, but if one buys a decent car new and takes care of it with regular maintenance and care most can make it with just a few minor repairs for 200K. What the car people are counting on is for the people who can't be bothered with regular oil changes and regular maintenance. Or even the ones that buy into the oil change every 10K. Synthetic Oil or not, I would never go over 7000 miles before I had that done. I used to do it myself all the time, but with age comes a decrease in mobility and the ability to crawl under a car drain the oil, change the filter and then expect to be able to stand up after that. 😀 Now I pay dearly for that service, but it is cheaper than buying a new car.

Goofyernmost

I was probably going to keep mine for at least a couple more years, but it's nice to have a car with AWD for the winters now. That was the one thing I wanted on a new car, since I commute every day. Heated seats and a heated steering wheel are also a huge plus.
My car I believe was planned to be sold in the north because it does have a "winter" package of heated steering wheel, heated seats, heated outside mirrors, heated windshield washer nozzle heaters and special rear and front windshield heating. So far I have needed all of them, but feel guilty about it. I have to admit it is nice to have those mirror heaters but since (this is going to sound weird) just before my neck fusion my hands are cold a lot of the time. The steering wheel keeps them nice and toasty. I've always found that I could get everywhere from the first time all season tires were commonly introduced. That is all I have ever had on the car. At least everyone that had front wheel drive. Never got stuck once in all those lovely Vermont winters.,

Last edited:

Lilofan

My car I believe was planned to be sold in the north because it does have a "winter" package of heated steering wheel, heated seats, heated outside mirrors, heated windshield washer nozzle heaters and special rear and front windshield heating. So far I have needed they all of them, but feel guilty about it. I have to admit it is nice to have those mirror heaters but since (this is going to sound weird) just before my neck fusion my hands are cold a lot of the time. The steering wheel keeps them nice and toasty. I've always found that I could get everywhere from the first time all season tires were commonly introduced, that is all I have ever had on the car. At least everyone that had front wheel drive. Never got stuck once in all those lovely Vermont winters.,
I never understood - special windshield heating for front and back. Every car has a rear window defroster and front windshield defroster . The Bentley and Rolls drivers for example have it good. Some models come not just with ventilated seats to keep you cool but also massaging seats.

PUSH

Original Poster
While I appreciate your explanation (one which did not necessarily get fully explained on homework when I tried to help my kid 😉), I never once thought I was only just adding 3+3 but the numbers in the “ones“ column and when necessary carrying over the “ten”.

The reality is that with most subjects, one has to be taught with a method that speaks to how that individual learns. I recall one of my child’s elementary school teachers telling me she used at least two different methods to teach reading, to make sure she was capturing the different way her students processed information.
We send home a family letter for each lesson to explain what their child is learning in math. I never had it explained to me that the 3 in 35 is representing 3 tens and is worth 30. If I did, it was not a focal point. It would have made math a lot easier had it been explained.

Another thing with "new math", is it's essentially the way people have learned to do math on their own. For example, making a ten to add. If you have 8 + 5, you take 2 from the 5 and give it to the 8 to make it a 10. Then you have 3 left from the 5. 10 + 3 = 13. It's a lot more efficient than starting at 8 and counting on 5 more. And you can do it mentally. It's just when kids are learning it, they need those steps shown visually. The visual representation with equations and pictures is also where parents often get confused.

You said your child's teacher said she used two different methods to teach reading. I would be interested to hear the ways she taught. The methods of teaching reading have shifted a lot in the past couple years. For the better. The old way was called the whole language approach, and it had kids rely on using pictures for clues and guessing based on the first sound and context in words. That's not how kids learn to read. Instead, we're shifting to an approach called the science of reading, which as it sounds, is all based on research and science of how the brain learns to read. I'm a huge nerd when it comes to reading instruction. I think it's fascinating.

Goofyernmost

Rant coming up...

I understand math fairly well and got though Algebra the hard way. I used numbers in a logical sequence not a steadfast formula, so I really was ahead of my time because without knowing it I was using, my own, new math well before it's time. I think it is more of a different way of looking at things and for me made my life easy when my kids asked me to help with their homework. Sorry, it's all Greek to me.

Math is an exact science, it has no deviation from correctness in result, only in the way individuals arrive at the answer. If all of us would have been raised in a country that wasn't so unable to accept the metric systems** (which is based on 10's) it probably wouldn't seem so weird, but how we ever got to have so much forward movement in this country with a population so hell bent of never learning anything new or unable to fall in line with the rest of the word, is a total mystery to me. I do, however, sadly feel that it is all catching up to us now. It's all in how it is taught. I don't see a huge discrepancy in either way, but those that had "OLD" math hammered into us for at least 12 years it looks more like unnecessary confusion than anything that is needed. A couple more generations and it will be the norm and as such will be as simple the older math is to many of us. My generation is probably the one that is still the driving force in the objection to it. But, like everything else, this too shall pass.
1711738368170.png
So far it has snuck it's way into many things like how much liquid is in a soft drink bottle, Engine parts and what was once Cubic Inches is now liters, distance measurement is evolving in to meters along with sporting events. It's getting there but we are a stubborn lot.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I never understood - special windshield heating for front and back. Every car has a rear window defroster and front windshield defroster . The Bentley and Rolls drivers for example have it good. Some models come not just with ventilated seats to keep you cool but also massaging seats.
I had the last two items in my 2005 Cadillac. Everyone was truly impressed when cool air conditioned air was forced up through the bottom of the seat. It prevented Swamp Butt! 🥴 And the back massage was without equal. I'm not sure every car had a rear window defroster, it's those small wires that you see embedded in the glass That is a relatively new thing. I don't remember exactly when it became a normal item, but it was just a few decades away from the 21st century. The front ones helped to be able to clear the windshield quicker instead of having to wait for the engine to warm up.

Last edited:

Lilofan

I had the last two items in my 2005 Cadillac. Everyone was truly impressed when cool air conditioned air was forced up through the bottom of the seat. It prevented Butt Swamp! 🥴 And the back massage was without equal. I'm not sure every car had a rear window defroster, it's those small wires that you see embedded in the glass That is a relatively new thing. I don't remember exactly when it became a normal item, but it was just a few decades away from the 21st century. The front ones helped to be able to clear the windshield quicker instead of having to wait for the engine to warm up.
Growing up in colder climates when I was young I remember waking up early to scrape ice off of the car windows that were parked outside. The cars in the garage was just start up , warm up a little and just drive off. Distant relatives from Alaska had it tough but they plugged in engine block heaters so cars could start in -10 degrees or colder.

Goofyernmost

Growing up in colder climates when I was young I remember waking up early to scrape ice off of the car windows that were parked outside. The cars in the garage was just start up , warm up a little and just drive off. Distant relatives from Alaska had it tough but they plugged in engine block heaters so cars could start in -10 degrees or colder.
Block heaters were common in Vermont. Even better were small units that connected to the feed and return heater lines and circulated engine coolant warming it up to above freezing via a small pump and heating unit as it was plugged in all night. Those are the ones that I used in my older cars but weren't needed in the newer ones and we hit up to -30F quite often in the winter season. That, BTW, is why I currently reside in NC.

PUSH

Original Poster
Well, I have no internet until at least Monday. They said there's an issue with the line. But they don't employ technicians over the weekend, so it can't get fixed. This same thing happened a year or so ago. It's so frustrating, especially with everything you do taking place on the internet now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom