Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

Goofyernmost

I'm referencing an earlier post of yours now, but when I turned 60 last July, my 91 year old dad (at the time), said that he couldn't credit that he had a 60 yo child. Because it's all about him. ;)

Age catches up to all of us, and I do just wonder at how unprepared some are. There's my dad at now 92 (so he's got a good few years on you) complaining about his knees. All of his five siblings had knee replacement surgery in their 70s or 80s, and he's just now having complaints, and he doesn't appreciate the difference. Took him to an osteo the other day, and his Xrays showed that he should have had knee replacement 10 years ago! Doc gave him a cortisone shot, which he was expecting and hoping for, but also expected to be a miracle cure to restore his cartilage--it doesn't work like that. He just wants some kind of medical miracle to restore him to the robust heath he enjoyed in his 70s and 80s...it's just not going to happen, and I'm now going to have to spend the rest of his days managing his "unreasonable expectations".

I notice the slight change in my darling husband, now that he's 61--he did just come through lung cancer surgery with a fantastic outcome, but age does take its toll. I wish I could get rid of the excess weight that I've put on over the past several years, I feel like the normal "lady in her 50s" changes were compounded by the loss of my only sibling to 9/11 cancer--we had always talked about supporting our parents together in their old age, and then suddenly he got sick, died at the age of 50, and then I had to deal with the parents as an only child (thank goodness for my husband's help). I'm probably some degree of depressed, and I've certainly put on a lot of weight that contributes to my unhappiness. So I've gotta get myself moving.
Such a tremendous post and so accurate. I, at 75, even now am far more able than so many that are my age. I see it all around me in the senior apartments where I live. I see it when I go to the VA for my medical follow-up and procedures. I see people with no legs (either war related or diabetes) and wonder, if I feel this sorry for myself the way I am, how the hell are those people still functioning. I marvel at their strength and determination.

I am constantly reminded of how lucky I am to be where I am at this point. I didn't drink except for a few younger years, but I smoked like a chimney for close to 40 years and have been overweight most of my life. Have been diagnosed with prostate cancer 8 years ago. Not much change since then. I should be dead by now, but every morning I get up and stand on my feet, inhale easily and except for some aches and pains I am good to go for the day. I am planning a trip to Dollywood with my daughter and her family in May. I'll need some mechanical mobility device, but otherwise I can still walk a sufficient distance and will be able to keep up and participate. I don't go to those places to just watch others have a good time.

In short, I am very lucky and I know it. My dad passed when he was 74 of a massive heart attack. I do make many references to my age and the results of that aging, but that is because I have nothing else happening and it sometimes makes me feel better to discuss it in some way. I know that my daughters love me, but I also know that they are fighting against my age and vulnerability and I can see them cringe everytime I mention how old I am getting and feeling.

Last edited:

trr1

way different from last week
Berwyn - HQ1 (KLOM) forecast for Monday 3/18/24
Time (EDT)​
Sky Conditions
Temperature (°F)
Feels Like (°F)
Dew Point (°F)
Humidity (%)
Wind Direction
Wind Speed (mph)
Precipitation Chance (%)
Precipitation Amount
(in.)
7 AM​
35​
31​
26​
70​
WNW​
5​
0​
None​
10 AM​
42​
36​
23​
47​
WNW​
11​
0​
None​
1 PM​
46​
40​
19​
34​
WNW​
12 G 20​
0​
None​
4 PM​
47​
42​
17​
30​
WNW​
12 G 20​
0​
None​
7 PM​
44​
38​
17​
34​
WNW​
11​
0​
None​
10 PM​
38​
32​
19​
46​
WNW​
8​
0​
None​
1 AM​
35​
28​
20​
54​
WNW​
8​
0​
None​
4 AM​
32​
25​
21​
64​
WNW​
8​
0​
None​
Your 5 Day Forecast
Day​
Sky Conditions
Weather
High (°F)
Low (°F)
Humidity (%)
Winds (mph)
Precipitation Chance (%)
Precipitation Amount
(in.)
Mon​
Mostly Cloudy​
49​
35​
38​
10​
0​
None​
Tue​
Partly Cloudy​
47​
30​
38​
10​
0​
None​
Wed​
PM Rain Possible​
53​
35​
43​
12​
48​
Rain
0.05​
Thu​
Partly Cloudy​
44​
27​
31​
11​
0​
None​
Fri​
Scattered Evening Rain Possible​
47​
24​
42​
4​
29​
Rain
0.06​

Goofyernmost

Today I am officially eligible to collect Social Security.
.........yet I am gonna wait until I retire so the monthly amount will be greater.
The plan for tonight is to go to Olive Garden.
Buy one entree at the regular price and get another entree to take home for just $6.
Just figure out how much of that you could stash in a retirement plan** (outside any other you may already have) by collecting early. Remember there is no guarantee of a tomorrow, but having now what you hope to have in the future is sometimes the best way to plan. I took it early and even though sometimes I think it would be nice to have the extra, I actually retired at that same time. I don't really regret it and to me if I had continued working would have missed out on a lot of enjoyment when I was younger and healthier. Just one opinion, everyone has different thoughts and reasons.
use it for travel to Ireland or beyond.

SteveBrickNJ

Just figure out how much of that you could stash in a retirement plan** (outside any other you may already have) by collecting early. Remember there is no guarantee of a tomorrow, but having now what you hope to have in the future is sometimes the best way to plan. I took it early and even though sometimes I think it would be nice to have the extra, I actually retired at that same time. I don't really regret it and to me if I had continued working would have missed out on a lot of enjoyment when I was younger and healthier. Just one opinion, everyone has different thoughts and reasons.
use it for travel to Ireland or beyond.
I've heard that point of view....yet I'm still teaching and have no need for additional money at the moment.
I'd rather just wait until I retire June 2025 or June 2026 and then get the higher monthly amount for life based on delaying.
Different approaches...but that is the philosophy that I'm comfortable with.
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
ahhhh.
I wondered when it would dawn on someone as to WHY TODAY I am eligible to collect Social Security.
Yup....it's my 62nd B day :)

Which makes you just about a week.older than my hubby, who'll "become eligible" on Monday.

I am.going to encourage him to start collecting, though, since he "retired" in 2019 to look.after.both of our elderly mothers, who passed within six months of each other in 2021, and it would be nice to have the extra income.

He's applied for.many jobs since then, without even a response. There may be a law against age discrimination, but it only applies if you're working, doesn't help you get hired! Plus, I subscribe to @Goofyernmost 's theory of, "take it as soon as you can because it might not be there if you wait" 😉😁

SteveBrickNJ

Which makes you just about a week.older than my hubby, who'll "become eligible" on Monday.

I am.going to encourage him to start collecting, though, since he "retired" in 2019 to look.after.both of our elderly mothers, who passed within six months of each other in 2021, and it would be nice to have the extra income.

He's applied for.many jobs since then, without even a response. There may be a law against age discrimination, but it only applies if you're working, doesn't help you get hired! Plus, I subscribe to @Goofyernmost 's theory of, "take it as soon as you can because it might not be there if you wait" 😉😁
I totally agree that now would be good for your husband to start collecting. Additionally, I know that in reality, if my job was eliminated due to a reduction in state funds to my school district, no other school district would take on a 62 year old band director. Even thought I'm energetic and healthy, the reality is....I'd not be able to find anything else.

Lilofan

A smart way to stretch those dollars and spend it on something else in the future. I stretched my dollars by drinking the in-house Keurig at work while some of my peers visited the next door Starbucks multiple times a day while still complaining of always being in debt.

Songbird76

Happy birthday, @SteveBrickNJ !

Happy Birthday GIF by Friends

FutureCEO

Today I am officially eligible to collect Social Security.
.........yet I am gonna wait until I retire so the monthly amount will be greater.
The plan for tonight is to go to Olive Garden.
Buy one entree at the regular price and get another entree to take home for just $6.

Us younger folks will never get social security even though we paid into it

Lilofan

Us younger folks will never get social security even though we paid into it
I've read by year 2034 SS will run out of reserve $$ and will only pay out only 77% of the 100% on what is due to each applicant post 2034. Thankfully I'm not part of that group. I'm with the mindset if one is eligible to collect ( ie age 62 ) collect when eligible. Tomorrow , even life is not guaranteed.

SteveBrickNJ

If I wait to start Soc. Sec. a year from this July(July 2025) I'll be fine. Any hypothetical changes would likely grandfather me in anyway....and as pointed out earlier in the thread....program eligibility changes would affect younger people. IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom